Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Chainsaw 2T oil. Perplexed.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.

Chainsaw 2T oil. Perplexed.

T'other day my McBollock chainsaw seized when I started it, $239 from Bunnings. It's 9 months old, done some very hard, hot, days but puleeeeeze. I cannot take it back as I have lost the receipt, well, misplaced it and have no record of the transaction. My credit card statements only go back 6 months. C'est la vie. Bunnings were very helpful but they needed something to go on.
    It's junk now & I bought a Solo to replace it, proper chainsaw apparently, full crank! Phwoar! And it's bigger.
    Any hoo, buying the Solo, oil mix came up in the conversation. I ran the Mcseized at the specified ratio, 40:1, but apparently this only applies to specific full synthetic oils otherwise it's 25:1. Whats up with that? Book says 40:1, the little gubbins on the chain saw says 40:1, how is a simple man to know?
    Reading the Solo book it says 40:1 with Solo oil or Castrol TT super, otherwise 25:1. I'm using Castrol, it's blue 2t oil for chainsaw's, mowers etc. I use a premix bottle with the ratios on it to mix so I'm fairly confident of the ratio I have used.
    What should I be using in my new Solo and at what ratio to ensure long life & eternal happiness?
    I know there are one or two chainsaw fiends here, trees give them wood...
    Manopausal.

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    What should I be using in my new Solo and at what ratio to ensure long life & eternal happiness?
    40:1 with synthetic oil, 25:1 with 2T oil. If in doubt run 25:1 and you won't do it any harm.
    Time to ride

Bike
    KTM 1190 Adv R and a bunch of dirties
    Go to your bank or get online banking. Your cc records absolutely go back more than 6 months. Failing that give gcsb a call they will have a record.

Edit: and wot Jantar said has never failed me (never had a 2 smoke seize so far)
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    Been using a 630 Solo chainsaw for 3 years now, mainly for cutting up pellets and the hedge. I have always used mineral 2t oil at 25-1. It is still running the original plug, Keep the air filter clean and it will keep going. I have not had one ounce of trouble. A far cry from the early 1970's when using one in the forestry.

Drain the chainbar oil out before storing, otherwise the oil will seep out via the chain lube hole. Most makes will tell you to use 40/50 - 1 when using synthetic.
    " Rule books are for the Guidance of the Wise, and the Obedience of Fools"

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by paturoa View Post
    Go to your bank or get online banking. Your cc records absolutely go back more than 6 months. Failing that give gcsb a call they will have a record.
    x2 and if you don't want it anyway you've got a chainsaw to give to someone for Christmas!

Bike
    K7 600
    Blog Entries
    Husqvarna.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    oil gets mixed according to the OILs ratio. Ignore manual.
    Over mixing fouls plugs, as jatnard got at. Under mix seizes engines...

Bike
    Yo momma
    T'other day my McBollock chainsaw seized when I started it, $239 from Bunnings. It's 9 months old, done some very hard, hot, days but puleeeeeze. I cannot take it back as I have lost the receipt, well, misplaced it and have no record of the transaction. My credit card statements only go back 6 months. C'est la vie. Bunnings were very helpful but they needed something to go on.
    It's junk now & I bought a Solo to replace it, proper chainsaw apparently, full crank! Phwoar! And it's bigger.
    Any hoo, buying the Solo, oil mix came up in the conversation. I ran the Mcseized at the specified ratio, 40:1, but apparently this only applies to specific full synthetic oils otherwise it's 25:1. Whats up with that? Book says 40:1, the little gubbins on the chain saw says 40:1, how is a simple man to know?
    Reading the Solo book it says 40:1 with Solo oil or Castrol TT super, otherwise 25:1. I'm using Castrol, it's blue 2t oil for chainsaw's, mowers etc. I use a premix bottle with the ratios on it to mix so I'm fairly confident of the ratio I have used.
    Your biggest mistake was not buying a decient make like Stihl or particularly Husqvarna. You pay more up front but will get a saw that will start, cut and last forever if properly treated.

Bike
    Ducatis
    Oil ratio to the engine manufacturers specs. They are the ones that have done the metallurgy and will be the ones providing the warranty...

25:1 is a common mix for weed-whackers and saws on mineral oil. I would not go any lighter than 40:1 with synthetic, despite what the oil bottle may say. (Oil is the coolant in these engines). I commonly use 32:1 as it is the recommended mix for my model aircraft engines (150cc twins),and dirt bike. Also used in my saw, weed-eater, water-blaster, and mower....and sometimes he road bike when it is getting low!

Stihl HP Ultra is one of the better synthetics for saws. Stihl recommend 50:1 in their saws with this oil, but I would go to the engine manufacturers ratio for your saw. Redline make a good synthetic as well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01191.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	974.4 KB 
ID:	291277

150c twin, twin tuned exhausts

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Littleman View Post
    Husqvarna.
    That's exactly what is stamped on the metal plate at the back of my Mcseized. The reason why I bought that rather than a Ryobi. No thanks.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wannabiker View Post
    Oil ratio to the engine manufacturers specs. They are the ones that have done the metallurgy and will be the ones providing the warranty...

25:1 is a common mix for weed-whackers and saws on mineral oil. I would not go any lighter than 40:1 with synthetic, despite what the oil bottle may say. (Oil is the coolant in these engines). I commonly use 32:1 as it is the recommended mix for my model aircraft engines (150cc twins),and dirt bike. Also used in my saw, weed-eater, water-blaster, and mower....and sometimes he road bike when it is getting low!

Stihl HP Ultra is one of the better synthetics for saws. Stihl recommend 50:1 in their saws with this oil, but I would go to the engine manufacturers ratio for your saw. Redline make a good synthetic as well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01191.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	974.4 KB 
ID:	291277

150c twin, twin tuned exhausts
    Cheers. I'm running the Solo on 25:1 Castrol but unsure of what else to use. The info on the 7 different bottles at me local hardware shop is shoite " suitable for mowers, strimmers, chainsaws, nasal hair trimmers, etc". Mineral, semi synth, full synth.. not a word.

What about the full synthetic I use in my water cooled 2t DT?
    Manopausal.

Bike
    KX450 Motard/Flat Track KTM150SX H2R
    Cheers. I'm running the Solo on 25:1 Castrol but unsure of what else to use. The info on the 7 different bottles at me local hardware shop is shoite " suitable for mowers, strimmers, chainsaws, nasal hair trimmers, etc". Mineral, semi synth, full synth.. not a word.

What about the full synthetic I use in my water cooled 2t DT?
    i run my weedeater and chain saw on my 2 stroke bike gas, which i run full synthetic oil at 32:1, probably overkill for them both but the gas is mixed and sitting there,

i used to be a stihl dealer and if you can good oil you could run 50:1 with out an issue,

Bike
    2012 Victory Vegas Zach Ness
    Heard of at least two chainsaws that have seized recently after 1:40 mix was fed to them. Mineral 2 stroke not synthetic. What made it interesting was the local garage prepared the mix. Two very unhappy customers. One of the chainsaws was a Husqvarna I believe.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    oil gets mixed according to the OILs ratio. Ignore manual.
    Over mixing fouls plugs, as jatnard got at. Under mix seizes engines...
    Over mixing also has the ability to seize.

It has the effect of making the engine run lean.

Bike
    XR200
    One word - Stihl

Thread Information