Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Changing providers

Bike
    Sportster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cameron.new View Post
    Even though I am a bit biased, take Orcon with a grain of salt. VOIP is not reliable enough in NZ yet (until UFB is nationwide). We use Orcon for our retail store due to SIP trunking systems and always have something going haywire every month or so.
    I would have to disagree with that comment on voip. We have been on voip for at least 3 years with Xnet.
    No dramas except the couple of times that Internet had issues or our router died.

Overall pretty happy with voip. I probably wouldn't use voip as a business but it is fine for us for home and we are out of Ham, so not in the best spot for speed but never had a call quality issue or a call dropped. International calls are clearer than we had with Telecom although we usually use skype for that now.

Bike
    In the rubbish bin
    I'm paying $85 a month for phone and broadband. Think I have a 50gb cap and I've measured it as reaching about 3megabits in speed, and any unused cap falls over to the next month. And I get off peak traffic (between 1am and 7am) that doesn't subtract from my cap.
    Find out more at www.unluckyones.co.nz

Bike
    Nothing, sadly
    Had no bad experiences with VOIP yet, used 2008-2011 on both Xnet and Slingshot. Power went out once and we lost phone, about it really. Usually works out cheaper over Naked DSL.

At the moment best plans are with Slingshot for pure bandwidth for price, couple issues with delays when we set up but after the set up no problems whatsoever.

Moved into a flat with Orcon, expensive, slow, not much bandwidth, charge you through the nose per gig once the cap is reached without the option to go slow. Hours to get through via phone when we had to call them because phone (not VOIP) and broadband weren't working simultaneously.

Now with Vodafone in my current house, it's not expensive, but it's not cheap. Reliability and speed is on par with Slingshot. The Huawei HG556a modem/routers that you are sent, whilst they look good, are garbage.

Current recommendations would be Slingshot first based on price/performance but you have to be prepared for issues during initial set up. Followed by Telecom/Vodafone, followed by the rest. Snap looks good but I don't have any experience with them.

Edit: Axle or whatever, the guy who writes in green in the other page is the world's biggest troll. Seen him comment on a few tech threads now and he has the worst advice I have ever seen to the point where you can just take whatever he writes and reverse it for good advice.

Bike
    A
    Vodafone works for me. Started off with Ihug many moons ago, which Vodafone took over. We've got what they call the Ultimate pack, 100GB a month anytime, landline etc, for $100 a month. Gives us a discount on the Sky deal as well, so all in all it works out well for us.

Funny thing is that if you're always chasing the cheapest deal you could end up changing providers regularly. Would go along with the comment made earlier to hit up your current supplier for a better deal

Thread Information