Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Problems with Motorsport New Zealand. Maybe MNZ isn't so bad

Bike
    I just lost count

Problems with Motorsport New Zealand. Maybe MNZ isn't so bad

Just got an email in my inbox from the Historic Racing Club and Hampton Downs Motorsport Park which made me aware of some stuff going on the the Car Racing world. I knew that there were a few problems but not that it had gotten as bad as it has, so I thought I would share.

Note the comments bellow are from HRC & HD and are not my personal opinions.

"At the Ice Breaker meeting I talked about what was happening with Tier One Motorsport.

It was latter bought to my attention that a number of competitors didn't have a clue what I was talking about so I would like to take opportunity to give a fuller explanation of the crisis facing Motor Sport in NZ.

For the last 20 years the Tier One championship , NZ V8's, Formula Ford, Suzuki, Production Cars, V8 Utes and GT3 Porsche has been run by a company called The Motor Sport Company Ltd (TMC), which was owned 60% by MSNZ and 40% by NZIGP, Taupo Car Club, Manawatu Car Club, Canterbury Car Club, South Canterbury Car club and Southland Sports Car Club. The board was made up of MSNZ appointees and one director representing the 40% shareholders.

At the last MSNZ conference the Chairman Martin Fine assured the clubs that though the company was experiencing a rough patch, all would be OK.

Well the rough patch certainly got worse when the V8 SuperTourers were successful in signing up the teams and drivers from the NZV8 series. Just when TMC thought it couldn't get worse the Utes and Suzuki's signed up to run with V8 SuperTourers as well.

TMC responded by changing their name to Motorsport Promotions Ltd and doing a deal with the Independent Race Group (IRC). The issue here is that many of the IRC classes don't want to go the South Island. The jewel in the IRC crown was Central Muscle Cars which were only keen to do three rounds with IRC, so the IRC stripped them of their membership, as the IRC deal is all or nothing and sent them packing! So then Central Muscle Cars became independent and signed to run at some meetings with V8 SuperTourers. Then we had the announcement that the directors and staff of MPL had resigned and David Dovey from the IRC had taken over. Then just over two weeks ago it was announced that MPL had gone into voluntary liquidation. Confused yet?

While all this was going on NZV8's (Vega) are suing V8 SuperTourers! Now everyone's worried about who's funding Vega's court battles and we hope it's not MSNZ, which is of course us!

While all this is before the court I am reluctant to comment further, but we could see a repeat of what has happened in the past where it is the members who have to pay the bills and they could be considerable.

At the MSNZ conference a remit was passed for a panel of experts to study the structure of Motor Sport in NZ and report back to member clubs by the 1st December 2012. This report will be a vital indication of progress within our administration. A final report is to be presented to the 2013 AGM of MSNZ.

While the situation MSNZ finds itself is dire, the sport is fortunate to have the V8 SuperTourer series, Toyota series and a number of high profile classic meetings over the summer to give the fans high quality ongoing motorsport events.

HRC and Hampton Downs will not be taking sides in the various legal actions taking place. We just provide the stage and stage hands, although we do think it is important that competitors know what is going on.

The HRC and HD submission to the review panel is attached at the bottom of this email.

Regards,
    Chris Watson"
    Well I thought the comments were interesting anyway.

For the record Qkkid was in my bed, not the other way round

Quote Originally Posted by Yow Ling View Post
    Pumba is a wise man.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    What a fuckin mess!

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    It's not heaps worse than we've had it, come to think of it. Post classic, and Sidecar Racing associations are an example.

Bike
    Enough that the car lives outside now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    It's not heaps worse than we've had it, come to think of it. Post classic, and Sidecar Racing associations are an example.
    Drer, er, eh? Post Classics? They are MNZ afiliated and I'm not aware of any issues. Sidecars....another story I guess.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by malcy25 View Post
    Drer, er, eh? Post Classics? They are MNZ afiliated and I'm not aware of any issues. Sidecars....another story I guess.
    Oh, my bad. I thought they'd had a falling out and started their own club too.

I suppose it's not really anything alike, by that email I kinda get the impression there has been money fraudulently going places, and the shit has hit the fan.

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...sadly it's just a reflection of whats going on in NZ with a whole lot of stuff...a small population base that wants it all and an economy that is fucked and getting worse...

Bike
    Enough that the car lives outside now.
    Oh, my bad. I thought they'd had a falling out and started their own club too.

I suppose it's not really anything alike, by that email I kinda get the impression there has been money fraudulently going places, and the shit has hit the fan.
    Drew, all the clubs "are their own clubs" !! Vic, Canti, AMCC etc that are then afiliated to MNZ.

The sidecars were their own club, and still are, they withdrew their linkages to MNZ, same as one of the motorcross clubs I think.

But yeah, when it comes down to it, guaranteed there'll be some ego's in the car stuff too!

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by ellipsis View Post
    ...sadly it's just a reflection of whats going on in NZ with a whole lot of stuff...a small population base that wants it all and an economy that is fucked and getting worse...
    Be grateful there's no money in promoting motorcycle racing in NZ - over the very many years i"ve been involved I've seen some right chancers come on the scene - and eventually go away. Invariably they've left clubs and people poorer for their efforts...

As soon as there's real money up front this sort of argument ensues.

Bike
    CBR450RR
    Blog Entries
    Money is what screwed things up with MSNZ. They're the majority share holder in the former The Motor Sport Company so they were busy protecting their profits instead of doing the best for their members. It's a conflict of interest.
    Zen wisdom: No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously. - obviously had KB in mind when he came up with that gem

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Bike
    08R6 Race bike
    So how's speedway holding up?
    Can I scream?

Bike
    KX450 Motard/Flat Track KTM150SX H2R
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave- View Post
    So how's speedway holding up?
    speedway is run thought speedway NZ now, as they run on there tracks, they are not listed on the front of the new MNZ website with the rest of the dicipline,

but MNZ would not start a private company to do anything would they?

http://www.business.govt.nz/companie...6sf%3D%26sd%3D

Bike
    Kawasaki ZX6R
    WTF????? Is there no requirement of full disclosure to members to ensure no conflict of interest when you are holding a position at MNZ?

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    I'm online with my iPhone and can't find what it is that company is actually meant to do. Anyone able to condense the basics and post here?

Two directors, and only one shareholder. Who owns it outright? Carmen Davidson or Jim Tuckerman? Also, who is this Davidson woman, is she part of MNZ too?

Bike
    KX450 Motard/Flat Track KTM150SX H2R
    I'm online with my iPhone and can't find what it is that company is actually meant to do. Anyone able to condense the basics and post here?

Two directors, and only one shareholder. Who owns it outright? Carmen Davidson or Jim Tuckerman? Also, who is this Davidson woman, is she part of MNZ too?
    she is a board member, North Island Off-Road postion, the only share holder is MNZ

I have no idea what this company is set up to do, and there is no reference to it on the MNZ website,

Bike
    I just lost count
    Recently registard as well. Interesting.

The only thing I can associate it with is the changes this year about supporting/sponsering riders more. I cant find what I am looking for on the MNZ website so I am not sure what its offical name is.

Maybe Billy will pop by at some stage and tell us what this new company is about when he has a free moment.

For the record Qkkid was in my bed, not the other way round

Quote Originally Posted by Yow Ling View Post
    Pumba is a wise man.

Thread Information