Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paddock stand recommendations?

Bike
    None

Paddock stand recommendations?

Hi, I'm looking for a paddock stand that would be suitable for my Suzuki TS 185. I've seen a couple on the internet and I'm keen on this one; http://houseofcustom.co.nz/xtcommerc...urpglbt3r87h76

But I've never owned a paddock stand before, so I don't know whether or not its any good, yet alone suitable for my Suzuki TS (in terms of size).

Bike
    CBR450RR
    Blog Entries
    The House of Custom ones are ok but there's better for similar money. They're a bit short so you don't get much leverage when you lean on it but that won't be a problem for TS185 size bike.

Best advice is to put some bobbins on it rather than rely on the flat pad bits. The bike is way more stable and sits a bit higher off the ground, as in you don't have any clearance problems when taking the wheel off. Also, the swing arm is lower at the back so if using the flat pads the bike can slide down the stand until the back wheel is sitting on the ground. Not good if you've got tyre warmers.

Just to clear that up, with the flat pads on HoC stands the bike sits with the wheel almost touching the ground. Using that same stand with bobbins there's plenty of clearance.
    Zen wisdom: No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously. - obviously had KB in mind when he came up with that gem

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Bike
    None
    Thanks for the heads up

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Quote Originally Posted by Mental Trousers View Post
    The House of Custom ones are ok but there's better for similar money. They're a bit short so you don't get much leverage when you lean on it but that won't be a problem for TS185 size bike.

Best advice is to put some bobbins on it rather than rely on the flat pad bits. The bike is way more stable and sits a bit higher off the ground, as in you don't have any clearance problems when taking the wheel off. Also, the swing arm is lower at the back so if using the flat pads the bike can slide down the stand until the back wheel is sitting on the ground. Not good if you've got tyre warmers.

Just to clear that up, with the flat pads on HoC stands the bike sits with the wheel almost touching the ground. Using that same stand with bobbins there's plenty of clearance.
    Yup... what he said..
    But tyre warmers on a TS185?? Or were you talking generally MT?

I have a HoC set for the Ninja, and it is great for that.... Leverage may well be an issue on bigger bikes....

Bike
    2007 ktm 300exc
    A paddock stand for a TS185 really? Just get a MX style stand DRC do a selection of them most use a lever system to raise the bike, you can get a scissor lift that raises the bike up a more workable height it clamps on the foot pegs so you can remove both wheels simultaneously.

Bike
    dei imperiale donna
    Get a bike hoist. Paddock stands are a pain in the bum when youre a smallish female with a largish bike. I struggle with trying to balance my duc with one hand whilst trying to lean over enough to push the arse of the paddock stand down to lift bike! Next time its a hoist for me. Prob wouldnt be so much of a struggle with the little TS185 tho

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by quickbuck View Post
    Yup... what he said..
    But tyre warmers on a TS185?? Or were you talking generally MT?
    I was interested in a paddock stand for maintenance purposes.

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by ktm84mxc View Post
    A paddock stand for a TS185 really? Just get a MX style stand DRC do a selection of them most use a lever system to raise the bike, you can get a scissor lift that raises the bike up a more workable height it clamps on the foot pegs so you can remove both wheels simultaneously.
    Any ideas where I could get one from, or any brands I should look at?

Bike
    None

Bike
    dei imperiale donna
    The first one only lifts 150kg. Lots on trademe at better prices

Bike
    None

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Quote Originally Posted by Matariki View Post
    I was interested in a paddock stand for maintenance purposes.
    That is what I thought.... Wondered why MT mentioned tyre warmers....

Another option for maintenance purposes for an off road bike is a bike lifter... as you have noticed.

Bike
    Yamaha MT-09
    I'll jump into this (really old post) because it's already been asked (but apparently not since 2012?!). I've acquired spools for the rear swingarm on my MT-09, and I'm looking for a paddock stand so I can do chain maintenance etc. On US-based forums they talk about how much more secure it is to raise a bike with a good sturdy, quality stand - but none of their brands seem available over here - and you'd be a loon to pay for shipping for a heavy stand.

Any good brands people can recommend that work well, seem to last, and are available on this side of the pond?

Bike
    A
    Don't bother with a paddock stand, if you're using one by yourself it's just a hassle that may end in tears when you lose control of the bike.

My approach was the Superbike stand from ABBA, yes that's right, but not the Swedish band. Local distributor, good value and fast delivery.

http://abbastandsnz.com/

Bike
    GSX-R 750
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    Don't bother with a paddock stand, if you're using one by yourself it's just a hassle that may end in tears when you lose control of the bike.

My approach was the Superbike stand from ABBA, yes that's right, but not the Swedish band. Local distributor, good value and fast delivery.

http://abbastandsnz.com/
    Once youve done it a coupla times and presuming you have a decent stand youd have to be a retarded fuckwit to drop a bike putting it on a paddock stand.

Ive had bikelift and currently have torpedo 7 branded stands and theyrr sweet as

...and cheap enough
    Last edited by Luckylegs; 10th November 2016 at 15:49. Reason: The important bit

Thread Information