Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Paint job for Yamaha FZR 250?

Bike
    half litre street beater
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Finally a ray of realisation. It just isn't worth painting that bike.

. . . Well not until you're 60 & you hunt the same model down you used to have in your youth & a burst of nostalgia now the kids have moved out of home (except the youngest & he isn't taking the hint despite changing the locks) decide to spend that money to recapture,. . .um, - not sure quite what now, . . .- but it seemed important at the time.

Save the money & wait till you need tyres or have to replace the warped disc.
    Pretty much this. From what I could tell from those old archived threads you posted they were painting just a tank for $250, or Crazefox doing tank and side fairing for $800 which is very cheap.

A grand for a whole fully faired cycle is pretty damn cheap. Painting is painstaking hard work to get right and labour is spendy.
    IMO there's no point spending that much on a bike you will not be keeping for a long time. Spend it on the good stuff like carb work, or a new disc, etc.
    Plus if you stack it you may end up at square one again.

When you get around to selling it it will work in your favour I reckon. I don't know about some people but if I was looking at two old 250 sportbikes to buy and one had $1000 spent on a fancypants paint job and the other had a grand spent on good servicing, new disc, pads, sprockets, battery, maybe a stainless line etc. I would much rather have the not-so-fancy looking one that had good running gear.
    You want some advice - lightning strikes once, it does not strike twice!

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Also most painters groan when people say they will do the prep themselves as they will have to redo it to get it usable.

I've had bikes painted & painted some myself (badly), its a lot of work, but a good mate is a top painter, or was. I kept the bike for quite some years & it was a worthwhile basis to paint.

Next bike he is doing for me is a 125 but its a resto 1969 so I think its worth it, or at least I will when I get around to finishing it & I'll be closer to the suggested age ho-ho.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Wash your mouth out with soap. Those are 2 stroke replica colours

I almost bought a Marlboro TZR back in the day. Purrty.
    You must have missed the MotoGP last year.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Kinda lost interest when they started racing Diesels. Used to watch GPs & went to 1/2 doz Ph.Isld races, back when they raced race bikes.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    All of them
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEU View Post
    matt black it with some spray cans.
    I'm with the kid.

Bike
    1989 Yamaha FZR 400

hi mate

i have looked at the bike and i would like to chat to you when i get back from Africa at the end of this month. Mossy1200 sent me a message. We will have to sit down and discuss what you want and what colour schemes....
    Graphics and inlays would cost a bit more.... i dont know if you can see the pic of my FZR 400 on my profile.. but have a look... The paintjob on that is worth about $3000 ...
    You would want to think about repainting your bike if you font intend on keeping it.... A good paint job would seriously cost you nothing less than $900 for something BASIC....
    Hope to chat later. Send me a email on jeanneandyuanita@yahoo.co.nz

Thanks John

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by automan6 View Post
    i have looked at the bike and i would like to chat to ............................
    Hope to chat later.
    Thanks John

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/al...p?albumid=4274
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    Bikes!
    Fook, that stings a little... the SV in my profile cost me $800 (didn't need to paint the tank or front mudguard though).

Bike
    a smurf
    Quote Originally Posted by automan6 View Post
    i have looked at the bike and i would like to chat to you when i get back from Africa at the end of this month. Mossy1200 sent me a message. We will have to sit down and discuss what you want and what colour schemes....
    Graphics and inlays would cost a bit more.... i dont know if you can see the pic of my FZR 400 on my profile.. but have a look... The paintjob on that is worth about $3000 ...
    You would want to think about repainting your bike if you font intend on keeping it.... A good paint job would seriously cost you nothing less than $900 for something BASIC....
    Hope to chat later. Send me a email on jeanneandyuanita@yahoo.co.nz

Thanks John
    $3000 for that paint job are you for real????

did they paint it with real gold flakes in the paint or something cause thats doesnt look all that flash.. did you paint that yourself or did you pay someone to paint it.??

Bike
    BMW GS

I was quoted 500 for half side faring.

As the title say I went for a quote short while ago and the price was 500$ for half faring in the original suzuki color.

I think 1K for the whole bike is a good price... BUT... a car painter in Barrys point road Auckland did my old bike (Kawasaki 400) all in black for 400$ about 5 years ago. I went to him with the parts of the bike all cleaned bogged sended tho. Final result was pretty good. Otherwise cheapest option take bike apart, send, spray matt black.
    "Only a Biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window."

Bike
    tedium
    Quote Originally Posted by rossirep View Post
    $3000 for that paint job are you for real????

did they paint it with real gold flakes in the paint or something cause thats doesnt look all that flash.. did you paint that yourself or did you pay someone to paint it.??
    No need to be nasty. Perhaps what he's saying is that as it was his own bike, he spent 100's of hours on it lovingly stripping and sanding it prior to applying lots of layers of paint, laquer and final waxing in he hunt for absolute perfection. I think you'll find that most of what you think are stickers on that bike is actually a bloody good paint job.

You pay peanuts, you get ..........?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickha
    Fuck off, cheese has no place in pies
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle
    i would could and can, put a fat fuck down with a bit of brass.

Bike
    Mv Agusta F4

Thank u all

Thank u F5Dave, Big Dave, Automan6, Mossy1200, Imdying, Pistamunno and scracha for ur replies.

@ Automan6 - I'll flick you an email soon if not will get in touch with u when you are back from Africa anyway. Ta

I hope to find a Biker painter on here who could use his/her existing paint to paint my bike and charge me a reasonable price for doing it. ( ideally a painter by profession as he/she might prolly have a supply of paint in bulk which will help to keep the cost down.)

Bike
    Bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by pratik8890 View Post
    I hope to find a Biker painter on here who could use his/her existing paint to paint my bike and charge me a reasonable price for doing it. ( ideally a painter by profession as he/she might prolly have a supply of paint in bulk which will help to keep the cost down.)
    Paint isn't the problem, that's the cheap part! It's the labour costs unfortunately. PM CrazyFox.

Bike
    a smurf
    Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    No need to be nasty. Perhaps what he's saying is that as it was his own bike, he spent 100's of hours on it lovingly stripping and sanding it prior to applying lots of layers of paint, laquer and final waxing in he hunt for absolute perfection. I think you'll find that most of what you think are stickers on that bike is actually a bloody good paint job.

You pay peanuts, you get ..........?
    well i wasnt being nasty. i was asking a question,..??

if i wanted to be nasty i would have said who in their right mind would waste $3000 on a shitty ol 400???

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Quote Originally Posted by rossirep View Post
    well i wasnt being nasty. i was asking a question,..??

if i wanted to be nasty i would have said who in their right mind would waste $3000 on a shitty ol 400???
    I would, but I'm not in any sort of "right mind"...
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Thread Information