Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris' Bucket photo thread - Bandwidth warning

Bike
    RG50 and 76 Suzuki GP125 Buckets
    Hi Chris I like that GP, its a good looking bike.

Quote Originally Posted by TZ350 View Post
    ... these links go to the more relevent posts about the 27hp engine...

Attachment 238154 27rwhp 1978 Suzuki GP125
    Here is a link that links to a lot of good info on building an easy to ride GP

Bike
    RS125, TZ80, RS50, RS50, FXR
    Hi Chris I like that GP, its a good looking bike.

Here is a link that links to a lot of good info on building an easy to ride GP
    Thanks Rob! I will do further reading this week ^_^

I pulled the GP down and studied the frame. This morning I bought some steel for some clip ons and will get the engine out sometime soon to have a go. We went to Hampton for the NZFMR, and it was killer. I'll be posing some photos on my blog in the coming week from it if anyone here is interested. I still need to make some hooks for my van so I can tie down the bikes in it but should be at Mt welly next weekend, yussss.

Bike
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bucket-5.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	121.1 KB 
ID:	276606

This is pretty much where we started too.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Plenum.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	672.9 KB 
ID:	276608Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SettingUpThe IgniTech.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	330.3 KB 
ID:	276607

This is how we fitted rear set foot rest brackets. hopefully you can see them. PM me if you would like better pictures.

We found bracing the swing arm worked but bracing the frame did not. The bikes with the most frame bracing handled the worst. Front end chatter was a big problem with them.

We fitted 2.5 and 3.5 rims, rolled about 3/8" of new thread onto the original spokes, then cut them back when the wheel was laced up, that worked out ok. The thin rear axel from the GP100 bent when pushed hard, the 125 one seemed OK.

We had gas shocks on them that had to much gas pressure, so the compression was to high and rebound to low. Didn't find that out until it was too late. Emulators in the front forks, GT185 front end worked better than the GP125 one.

We have kept our old GP frames as Chambers reckons that with a bit of suspension development they could be made to work better than we had them.

Best of all these may be eligible for Post Classic tiddlers to be run with the CMRR soon. They would need to be dressed up to look like period racers. But you know 26-28hp is easily possible so they would be pretty competitive.

If you put the engine in a new frame for F4, it might be worth keeping the original rolling chassis for later. Maybe strip it down and put it up in the roof or under the bench some place.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mtr125rsc3-w400.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	27.2 KB 
ID:	276620   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1971_m10.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	276621   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0153-copy.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	639.1 KB 
ID:	276622  

Bike
    Rattlecan blue
    Chris, if you go insane and decide to lace up wider rims yourself, let me know I have a wheel trueing jig
    Stock is best

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Henk View Post
    Chris, if you go insane and decide to lace up wider rims yourself, let me know I have a wheel trueing jig
    And we can leand you a thread rolling machine.

Bike
    Suzuki GP125 Bucket
    Now, that's a real shed ........

Bike
    -
    Hey Chris,

Don't get too carried away superstylin' your GP125 as it needs to be rideable for Mt Welly this coming weekend.

I challenge you to a duel.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by ac3_snow View Post
    Hey Chris,

Don't get too carried away superstylin' your GP125 as it needs to be rideable for Mt Welly this coming weekend.

I challenge you to a duel.

[Image of YB100 slug]
    A duel you say. Sir I do accept your invitation. Alas it shant be this coming end of week due to my steed requiring new shoes due to cracks in the hoof sidewall.

Further, cast than eyes upon the following photographic images bearing the condition of it's heart:

Suzuki GP125 without it's clothes on. I thought I'd take some photos as I strip it down, you never know when they'll come in handy, maybe even for someone else with an issue.

I got most of the way through the clip ons today but realised the factory bars couldn't be chopped to fit the new brackets as they're too short. Will try get some steel this week to finish them off

Bike
    And we can leand you a thread rolling machine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Henk View Post

This is pretty much where we started too.
    This is how we fitted rear set foot rest brackets. hopefully you can see them. PM me if you would like better pictures.

We found bracing the swing arm worked but bracing the frame did not. The bikes with the most frame bracing handled the worst. Front end chatter was a big problem with them.

We fitted 2.5 and 3.5 rims, rolled about 3/8" of new thread onto the original spokes, then cut them back when the wheel was laced up, that worked out ok. The thin rear axel from the GP100 bent when pushed hard, the 125 one seemed OK.

We had gas shocks on them that had to much gas pressure, so the compression was to high and rebound to low. Didn't find that out until it was too late. Emulators in the front forks, GT185 front end worked better than the GP125 one.

We have kept our old GP frames as Chambers reckons that with a bit of suspension development they could be made to work better than we had them.
    Thanks Henk, thanks Rob! I shall keep that in mind. The GP125 for now is an as low as possible cost machine for some build fun and to learn more about 2 strokes and setting up a bike. Hopefully one of my friends can ride it whilst I'm racing the FXR for now.

I'm very curious to hear the more you braced the frame the worse the bike chattered in the front end.

TBH it seems that the more they were braced the worse they were, mine would chatter very violently front and back, it was so bad it would throw my feet of the pegs and hurt my back.
    The one that was ridden the fastest was basically std, except for foot rest position, both had proper rims and slicks, never figured that out.
    My guess is that resonable rear shocks and fresh oil in overhalled front forks would be a good start.
    They are good till they let go, and if you have improved the point where they let go they let go more violently.
    I think a basically std frame and attention to the suspension would give you a resonable ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by cotswold View Post
    The handling on the Scitsu was a little problematic at first with the front end tending to chatter through fast turns, this was resolved by altering the angle on the rear suspension.
    This conversion at the beginning of the 'Race Chassis' thread came to mind when I read the above about chatter.

Also I've been staring at the frame for some time today and am keen to try out a swap to a single rear shock, brace the swing arm, brace the frame around the top of the engine similar to how you had yours, change to GT185 front end and some better tires and see how it goes. It will be a fun project that I no doubt will learn a lot from.

Bike

November 2012 Mt Wellington North Island Meeting

Whilst I'm here, how about some more images from the November 12 NI meet. That was a great day!

I am particularly fond of the #3 MB!

Bike
    1996 Buell S1
    [QUOTE=chrisc;1130482962]Whilst I'm here, how about some more images from the November 12 NI meet. That was a great day!

The away days are even better

Bike
    One of Gavin passing up the inside of a minitard...

...and one of the GPR 2 stroke in the pits with Richban's No45 in the background

Bike

Clip on bars

I made some clip on bars this week after work for the GP125. I've very stoked to have them at a more suitable height! Now I just have to cut off the front and rear pegs and make some new ones to correct the seating position.

The bars are currently at quite a shallow angle due to the bulk of the factory tank. I'm not about to chop and weld it but man I wish I could! I'm toying with the idea of making one from scratch in the search for less mass and better fit. What does one coat the inside of a mild steel tank anyway?

Here's two reference images including the bars

Bike
    Rattlecan blue
    Try I t with the bars real flat, you may not hate it. I run mine really flat because I'm used to dirt bike bars and partly because my left wrist still doesn't work properly.
    Stock is best

Bike
    Yeah I'll do that. It may even be better given we're hanging off the bike non stop on kart tracks

I can't help but be inspired by 50cc and 125cc racers of the yester year though such as these Piovaticci racers. I love that the 125 has such deep cutouts for the knees and elbows. Whilst I realise they don't suit our tracks necessarily, that is a damn nice looking bike!

Thread Information