Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Daytime running lamps?

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by imdying View Post
    Sure
    Ah, come to think of it, a mate with a newish CBR1000RR has something in his mirror/indicators, wasn't sure if it was OEM. I think those can be on with headlights, in which case they are forward facing position lamps...

Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    These all had factory DRL. Generally seen on U.K market bikes, and it's usually running a twin filament front indicator bulb (the CB had OE headlight always on, and DRL indicators)
    I can't think of it right now, but they are classified as something else...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Ah, come to think of it, a mate with a newish CBR1000RR has something in his mirror/indicators, wasn't sure if it was OEM. I think those can be on with headlights, in which case they are forward facing position lamps...
    Yeah, or maybe marker lamp or some other esoteric name... odd thing to ban though, they really do make the bike much wider than it would otherwise be... and correct on the model designation

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    I fitted them to both Harleys here, never had WOF issues and they certainly add to being visible.
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    Old Blue, Little blue
    My FZR750 had the front indicators both lit up all the time...they had a double filament bulb so functioned as indicators as well. Good at night - cars would slow down real quick if you whipped up behind them - must of thought I was polis......
    “- He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.”

Bike
    F3, DRZ400, RVF400, 250 XC-F
    Ive got LED strips on both handguards, as my Tiger has shit OEM low beams. Got sick of cars pulling out in from of me in dusk/dawn conditions. The LED's are a great improvement to my bike's visibility that's for sure! Bugger what the precise legality of it all is, they are doing their intended job abmirably. Besides if you take it to the right place for a wof they can sometimes foget they even saw that (or your full race exhaust)

Bike
    Canadian Red Back
    Ive also got forward facing LEDS had no problems with WOF or law enforcement and it surly does increase your visabilty
    more info here

Bike
    1994 Kawasaki ZZR1100
    My bike has a full fairing, and I did not want to fit LEDs as they would definitely look a bit odd. I did want to improve forward visibility though, so I fitted a little after market box (tradename: VISI ).
    This allows the yellow front indicator lights (each 21Watt single filament) to indicate normally as a turn indicator, but both come on permanently (only) when no turn indication is being given. The guys I ride with say the light splatter from these is far more noticeable by day than the headlight, and is never dazzling to anyone at night.

This arrangement simply emulates what was pretty standard on all the light Japanese motorcycles of the 1970s & early 80s, and is still used a bit on current bikes (as has been stated earlier).

The permanent light feature can be switched off (useful if the bike has not been started for a few weeks). I showed this arrangement to my AA WOF man recently (who is a biker & pretty sharp about most bike stuff) & he was quite happy with it & agreed that it added significantly to bike forward visibility.

This bike uses a controlled field alternator (like cars) and it does not even notice the extra lighting load. FYI

Bike
    2014 Moto Guzzi California
    Quote Originally Posted by GTRMAN View Post
    So a question for you WOF issuing type guys...

I am thinking of adding daytime running lamps to my bike, so I thought I would check on the LTSA website regarding the do's and don'ts and it says that you can have them but they have to be disabled when the headlight is on. Now my bike does not have a headlamp switch, it is on all the time....

So that means they are illegal for my bike? Seems like a bit of a crock to me...
    I've fitted them to my bike and have a switch to turn them off if I want to, whereas the headlights stay on all the time. The Police (helpfully) ignore the lighting Rule that says you can not have daytime running lights on at the same time as headlights. I turn them off for a warrant. I run the LED daytime running lights on in addition to my head lights at all other times as it adds to the conspicuity of my bike.

I haven't been ticked yet and will keep doing this until I am. In the mean time I have been advocating to the powers that be that we change the rules that makes it permissible for motorbikes to run with both headlights and daytime running lights. Just my two cents worth...
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Old enough to know better
    (but doing it anyway!)

Bike
    1994 Kawasaki ZZR1100
    Quote Originally Posted by MrKiwi View Post
    I've fitted them to my bike and have a switch to turn them off if I want to, whereas the headlights stay on all the time. The Police (helpfully) ignore the lighting Rule that says you can not have daytime running lights on at the same time as headlights. I turn them off for a warrant. I run the LED daytime running lights on in addition to my head lights at all other times as it adds to the conspicuity of my bike.

I haven't been ticked yet and will keep doing this until I am. In the mean time I have been advocating to the powers that be that we change the rules that makes it permissible for motorbikes to run with both headlights and daytime running lights. Just my two cents worth...
    As you say, it is technically illegal to run DRLs and your headlight together. However if you have only 2 point sources of light (unlike LED strips) at the front you could then call them position lights. There does not seem to be any law about moving vehicles displaying these in NZ. There may be some issues with the maximum angle & photometric brightness of the point light sources you choose, but it really does start getting a bit esoteric at this stage! Have a read: http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/ge....html#position

Bike
    R100GSPD
    i am gonna fit a hella daytime light to the ol beemer,it seems to have a "delicate" charging system

Bike
    2014 Moto Guzzi California
    Quote Originally Posted by sootie View Post
    As you say, it is technically illegal to run DRLs and your headlight together. However if you have only 2 point sources of light (unlike LED strips) at the front you could then call them position lights. There does not seem to be any law about moving vehicles displaying these in NZ. There may be some issues with the maximum angle & photometric brightness of the point light sources you choose, but it really does start getting a bit esoteric at this stage! Have a read: http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/ge....html#position
    Thanks sootie, that's an interesting angle I hadn't thought about.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Old enough to know better
    (but doing it anyway!)

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    My Bros650.
    My CB400 SF
    My ZZR400K
    My ZZR600D
    These all had factory DRL.
    My '81(?) KZ400 ... but not MY CB400 SF
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    BMWR1100RS,
    I have a car with daytime running lights which cannot be turned off. I was a bit concerned about this situation with the upcoming WOF, so I checked at two WOF stations and both told me it is not an issue to have headlights and DRLs on together. I'm confused again now
    Oh bugger

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by martybabe View Post
    I have a car with daytime running lights which cannot be turned off. I was a bit concerned about this situation with the upcoming WOF, so I checked at two WOF stations and both told me it is not an issue to have headlights and DRLs on together. I'm confused again now
    There are clauses within the VIRM about factory equipment. Basically, if it's as-factory, then it's allowed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    BMWR1100RS,
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    There are clauses within the VIRM about factory equipment. Basically, if it's as-factory, then it's allowed.
    They're not factory, they're LED strips like yours. Seems like a big grey area and it mostly depends where you get your WOF done. If I had an off switch then it shouldn't be an issue anywhere, right?

I fail to see how this has become an issue when every second car burns my retinas out with badly adjusted and permanently 'on' fog lights, especially at night.

Thanks for your reply.
    Oh bugger

Thread Information