Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Daytime running lamps?

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by martybabe View Post
    They're not factory, they're LED strips like yours. Seems like a big grey area and it mostly depends where you get your WOF done. If I had an off switch then it shouldn't be an issue anywhere, right?
    As you say, depends where you go. The VIRM states that DRL may not operate when the headlight operates, so my take on that is separately switched doesn't comply, as they could operate...

I agree it's stupid, after all they made the law for motorcycles to have headlights on at all times, stating safety and visibility. At the same time, people campaign to have all vehicle lights on all the time... 0 safety for motorcycles.

Tis a mad world
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by martybabe View Post

I fail to see how this has become an issue when every second car burns my retinas out with badly adjusted and permanently 'on' fog lights, especially at night.

Thanks for your reply.
    They not proper fog lights then,however users of rear fog lights really do my head in(and my night vision)

Bike
    A
    I'm a fan of DRLs, got Hella LEDs on the car. On the bike it turned into too big a hassle to fit LEDs, so I opted for the HID headlight conversion. This achieves something similar to the LEDs in DRLs, brighter light. Yep, strictly speaking illegal on my bike, but hey if you know the outfit issuing your WOF doesn't have a problem with it...

Bike
    '94 YZF750R - RESTO TIME!
    So if 'park' lights are illegal on bikes, can I call mine a DRL and that will satisfy the legal requirements to have one?
    ---Cut Here---
    '94 YZF750R - I love the smell of new tyre in the morning...
    EXUP Brotherhood

Bike
    The Conscience
    So the consensus is that the law is an ass and it really comes down to what your local WOF issuer lets you get away with?
    "It is by will alone I set my mind in motion"

Bike
    1994 Kawasaki ZZR1100
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterbishi View Post
    So if 'park' lights are illegal on bikes, can I call mine a DRL and that will satisfy the legal requirements to have one?
    Please see: http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/ge....html#position
    Quote: "Motorcycles may have one or two front position lamps and one or two rear position lamps."

(this seems to exclude LED strips of more than 2 LEDs total.)

also in an earlier para referring to Position Lights:
    "They are also known as ‘park lights’, ‘side lights’ and in the case or rear position lamps, ‘tail lights’."

The only question here is the bit about position lights having to be of low power, and if you dig deeper, there also seems to be a question re the viewing angle of park lights.

You can not use a DRL when your headlight is on, and under the new law it must always be on!
    Surely that means that you are not allowed to use a DRL on a motorcycle?
    It would seem safer to drop all references to DRLs around motorcycles.

Bike
    2014 Moto Guzzi California
    Quote Originally Posted by sootie View Post

You can not use a DRL when your headlight is on, and under the new law it must always be on!
    That is correct, technically speaking the law means you must not run daytime running lights on at the same time as headlights on. The law on DRL was designed for cars - not motorbikes. When the mandatory headlight rule was done for motorbikes, the question of DRL on motorbikes was not addressed. It was an oversight, it was not thought about mainly because at the time people were not running DRL's on motorbikes anywhere to the extent we are now.

I run DRL (LEDs) on my motorbike all the time. I leave them permanently on with my headlights. I have been doing this for a year and so long as I make sure the angle of the LED's is set to dip the Police seem not to take notice. When getting a warrant, I switch the LED's off. However, this is unsatisfactory as it is left to the discretion of the Police. I'd like to see the law changed and I am advocating that it be permissible (not mandatory) for motorbikes to have additional front facing white lights for safety reasons (adds to the bikes conspicuity).
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Old enough to know better
    (but doing it anyway!)

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by MrKiwi View Post
    I'd like to see the law changed and I am advocating that it be permissible (not mandatory) for motorbikes to have additional front facing white lights for safety reasons (adds to the bikes conspicuity).
    I would like to have the option of DRL or headlight.The old BMW doesn't have the charging system to keep the battery charged when running round town with the headlight on

Bike
    1994 Kawasaki ZZR1100
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    I would like to have the option of DRL or headlight.The old BMW doesn't have the charging system to keep the battery charged when running round town with the headlight on
    Agree that many bikes have trouble with running a headlight & maintaining battery charge around town.
    (A lot of riders have not cottoned on to this yet!)

I don't think you would ever get anything with legal implications as simple as "DRLs or headlight" by day.
    We currently have LED, HID, quartz-halogen & standard incandescent lighting technologies in use on the roads.
    The ratios of light output to wattage among these is huge, and continuously evolving.

I agree with the "DRLs or headlight" principle, but how would you specify it? Specify a minimum light output?
    Fairytales are the domain of infants ... Dreams are the stuff of progress.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Agree that many bikes have trouble with running a headlight & maintaining battery charge around town.
    (A lot of riders have not cottoned on to this yet!)

I don't think you would ever get anything with legal implications as simple as "DRLs or headlight" by day.
    We currently have LED, HID, quartz-halogen & standard incandescent lighting technologies in use on the roads.
    The ratios of light output to wattage among these is huge, and continuously evolving.

I agree with the "DRLs or headlight" principle, but how would you specify it? Specify a minimum light output?

dont know mate..i guess there is a european std,but i am gonna buy a hella led drl,wire it up through a relay so its on all the time UNLESS the headlight is on and see what transpires prolly the 1008

Bike
    2011 CB1000R
    Saw a bike with 2 drl's, one either side on fairings, facing forward but visible up to about 45 degrees and it was very visible to me from near perpendicular as it turned toward me at an intersection.
    I'll be fitting some to my next bike for sure.

There are many trucks using them that aren't wired correctly, some having 2 and 3 pairs of drl!
    Quote Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post
    etiquette? treat it like every other vehicle on the road, assume they are a blind, ignorant brainless cunt who is out to kill you, and ride accordingly

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Actually ... the law states ..

If your motorcycle was manufactured on or after 1 January 1980, you must use your headlight on dip (low beam) or daytime running lamps during daylight hours.

The law clearly states not ALL motorcycles are required to have headlights (OR running lights) on during daylight hours ... as most people seem to believe.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2014 Moto Guzzi California
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Actually ... the law states ..

If your motorcycle was manufactured on or after 1 January 1980, you must use your headlight on dip (low beam) or daytime running lamps during daylight hours.

The law clearly states not ALL motorcycles are required to have headlights (OR running lights) on during daylight hours ... as most people seem to believe.
    It's both on at once that you're not meant to run with, which is what I do, both headlights and DRLs. Hence why I am interested in advocating for it to be permissible to have additional forward facing white lights to be used in conjunction with the head light, if a rider so chooses to do so.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Old enough to know better
    (but doing it anyway!)

Bike
    SF
    Quote Originally Posted by MrKiwi View Post
    It's both on at once that you're not meant to run with, which is what I do, both headlights and DRLs. Hence why I am interested in advocating for it to be permissible to have additional forward facing white lights to be used in conjunction with the head light, if a rider so chooses to do so.
    As per a previous post, it's illegal for DRL's to be on when the main headlight is on. HOWEVER, often you'll get away with it by calling them 'positioning lamps'

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_t View Post
    As per a previous post, it's illegal for DRL's to be on when the main headlight is on. HOWEVER, often you'll get away with it by calling them 'positioning lamps'
    It would be unlikely (but possible) that you would get a ticket for having both on while riding.

And at WoF time ... if both headlight and DRL's do not come on at the same time ... it should be fine.

Those that are thinking of adding DRL's .. should discuss them with the person/people that do their WoF.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Thread Information