Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Daytime running lamps?

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    As you say, depends where you go. The VIRM states that DRL may not operate when the headlight operates, so my take on that is separately switched doesn't comply, as they could operate...
    Is may not (as in should not/not allowed) ... be interpreted to ... as being different to cannot (not able) ...

Possible (but illegal) ... as opposed to ... impossible (not able)
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2015 HD Street 500
    So lets tap the knowledge of those who have done it.
    1. For a sports bike, recommend lamps are?
    2. For a sports touring naked?
    3. For a sports touring with fairings.
    4. for a touring naked.
    5 for a metric cruiser large cc
    6. for a metric cruisersmall cc
    7, forget the harley they are Xmas trees anyway....

Product availability, price, fitting ease, look, pics could be helpfull too.

Come one guys show off your lights and knowledge, let the individual decide if he wants to check out the legality of his requirements
    To be old and wise, first you must be young and stupid.

Bike
    2014 Moto Guzzi California
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    It would be unlikely (but possible) that you would get a ticket for having both on while riding.

And at WoF time ... if both headlight and DRL's do not come on at the same time ... it should be fine.

Those that are thinking of adding DRL's .. should discuss them with the person/people that do their WoF.

Been riding a year with both DRL and headlights on all the time, so far not stopped and I go past lots of Police. Mind you, I know the law, so if stopped I have nothing to come back on. That is why I am advocating for a law change.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Old enough to know better
    (but doing it anyway!)

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MrKiwi View Post
    Been riding a year with both DRL and headlights on all the time, so far not stopped and I go past lots of Police. Mind you, I know the law, so if stopped I have nothing to come back on. That is why I am advocating for a law change.
    Increased awareness of seeing and being seen on the roads ... as far as motorcycles go ... even pedantic cops would see it as a stupid regulation.

Unless you fail the attitude test ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    A Japanese and two Italian tractors
    Quote Originally Posted by Subike View Post
    Product availability, price, fitting ease, look, pics could be helpfull too.

Come one guys show off your lights and knowledge, let the individual decide if he wants to check out the legality of his requirements
    Ok SB here goes.

My Moto Guzzi v40 has a candlepower headlight and a "delicate" charging circuit. I figured to get a reasonably priced set of led drl's and fit them to the MG and also to my Honda gb400.

I checked out the price in a local motor parts shop About $110.00 for a set of two lights.

Crank up TM. Prices went from $100 plus all the way down to $16. Hit buynow Pay $16 plus $5 freight.

Several days later take screwdriver in left hand, big hammer in right and take a lot of the fairing apart. Wired into "park light" hoping that Italian designers wouldn't have park and headlights going together (to Italian designers) BUGGER!!!!! Measure four times drill once. Use hammer to put everything back together.

Stand back and admire new safety addition.

Drl nice and bright (unlike owner/rider) headlight 2 candlepower. The drl is brighter and more noticeable than the headlight both day and night.

Several days later I discovered this thread

You mean is going to me for making my bike more visable

That law is and then some.

Anyway "Me Lud" here is the evidence. Guilty as charged.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mgdlr.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	273480   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mgdrl1.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	273481  
    And remember ...... if it hasn't got one of "Uncle Flip's" prosthetic kickers it isn't a real motorbike!!!

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Thing is, some bits of law say you can have DRLs, and yet others bits say its illegal to run them along with your headlight.

Then the law says you have to have your headlight on, in fact most bikes you don't have a choice. So, effectively DRLs are ruled out.

But I see them most days, and do absolutely nothing about them, as they increase the visibility of bikes, and how can that be bad?

How can I watch a Toyota Hi Ace van go past with DRLs running, then write a ticket for the bike following with his compulsory headlight and DRLs as well?

Nah, I'd draw a line in the sand and say that most Popos would ignore it, if they even knew the law on it. I'm personally going to fit an LED to the front of mine, and if I get tagged for it, I'll be standing in court arguing that common sense should apply.

Oooohhhhhhhhhhh, headline reads Popo ignores law. Imagine that.

Bike
    1994 Kawasaki ZZR1100
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Thing is, some bits of law say you can have DRLs, and yet others bits say its illegal to run them along with your headlight.

Then the law says you have to have your headlight on, in fact most bikes you don't have a choice. So, effectively DRLs are ruled out.

But I see them most days, and do absolutely nothing about them, as they increase the visibility of bikes, and how can that be bad?

How can I watch a Toyota Hi Ace van go past with DRLs running, then write a ticket for the bike following with his compulsory headlight and DRLs as well?

Nah, I'd draw a line in the sand and say that most Popos would ignore it, if they even knew the law on it. I'm personally going to fit an LED to the front of mine, and if I get tagged for it, I'll be standing in court arguing that common sense should apply.

Good for you mate!
    I have actually fitted a (commercial) electronic box to my road bike which brings on the front two amber indicator lights when no turn indication is being given. This kind of emulates what some bikes come out with as OEM DRLs but my wattage is higher. I also have a bright yellow high viz strip fitted just below my windscreen.

The whole reason I fitted all this was because cars kept coming out of Compulsory Stops and Giveways straight at me. I worked out that the standard headlight on my bike (ZZR1100) does not actually show up well off the direct forward axis. The cars should see me, but too many were not & I would like to stay alive. The measures taken work well, but vigilance is of course still essential at all intersections.

This box is switched off for my WOF, but I have become quite friendly with the man & last time I showed it to him working. He hesitated briefly & then commented that he thought it was a very good idea!
    (He rides a bike himself.)
    FYI

Bike
    2014 Moto Guzzi California
    I went the slightly expensive route. I imported a pair of of these (http://www.twistedthrottle.com/denal...-and-m10-mount )

They only draw 10 watts, each led puts out 1500 lumen. They're great and I am very satisfied with them, well worth the money to get them in my books. I've fitted these onto my crash bars to form a triangle with the headlights (Tiger 955i) which also makes the bike look wider than it normally does and helps to overcome the motion camouflage bikes create with a narrow head light arrangement.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Old enough to know better
    (but doing it anyway!)

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post

Likwise here, I've had DRLs on my bikes since oh, about '95, never had a problem with the law yet.

And I've not had a problem with anybody else having DRLs either.

(and the WOF man doesn't seem worried about them)
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    A Japanese and two Italian tractors
    Thankyou RC and SD.
    And remember ...... if it hasn't got one of "Uncle Flip's" prosthetic kickers it isn't a real motorbike!!!

Bike
    VT1100C 1993 /DRZ400E
    Used the search function... found this thread while trying to sort the legalities of the extra lights

I fitted some "Fog lamps" that I will get a WOF easy enough with..... But then technically I can get ticketed for have them on when its not foggy

I could then call them day time running lamps as I don't think they can instant fine for running them and the headlight at once

Just 3w jobbies for a start to see how they go and I just mounted them to my guard bolts and I might upspec them when I get round to sorting that and a few other things out

http://dx.com/p/waterproof-3w-1000-1...-12-80v-179403

(Note they are not great quality, If I keep them I will be repainting then and sealing them as they will rust and are not waterproof)

I fitted those, have some lenses that turn the beam flat that will get fitted at some stage, I got of ebay for my pushbike light.... well push bike spot light as its bloody bright.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1470.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	280728

Only flicked them on to see how they go....not bad for filling it at night to.... Might have to sort something more permanent out

Found this on DX as well

http://dx.com/p/compact-motorcycle-a...ver-12v-165362

A tad cheaper than the real deal, Wiring that came with it was incorrectly done but I scrapped that anyway and did my own

( I use PayPal with DX or they want to know all sorts before they will send stuff)

Bike
    BMW R1200RT 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Can you clarify please? As far as I am aware, no motorcycles have DRL fitted ex factory?

As the law states, you may not run your main headlight(s) at the same time as DRLs. One or the other and this law applies to both cars and bikes.
    My Honda VFR1200 has them as standard. There are LED lights on the mirrors and are on all the time along with the headlight.

Bike
    1986 Honda Goldwing aspencade GL1200
    you can fit driving lights, and use them during the day or night, providing they are through a seperate switch.

I have extra lights added with no problems. colours though, watch what goes where, for instance, dont point a red one
    forward.

with lights facing forward, look to place them, so you create a triangulation. it will make you easier to see.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Got some clarification today. In daytime you can use DRL as long as your headlight switches off when the DRLs switch on.

Completely defeats the purpose. It's an anti safety rule. Knob ends.

Bike
    '74 MV Augusta I wish
    Blog Entries
    Hmm. I've got two small white LED's under the front fairing above forks and oddly enough I think they actually make a difference, more so than having the headlights on all the time, donning a white helmet or hi viz which seems to most ineffective of the lot. Now we can get tickets for them. Wonders will never cease.

Thread Information