Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Daytime running lamps?

Bike
    1994 Kawasaki ZZR1100
    Quote Originally Posted by cheshirecat View Post
    Hmm. I've got two small white LED's under the front fairing above forks and oddly enough I think they actually make a difference, more so than having the headlights on all the time, donning a white helmet or hi viz which seems to most ineffective of the lot.
    I have a piece of electronics which permanently lights the two orange forward indicators at any time neither is indicating a turn. These are 21W bulbs which I believe is again too powerful (by law), but the splatter would never dazzle anyone. I am ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that this is far more effective at improving forward visibility that the headlight or any other form of lighting.
    I am friendly with my WOF man who is a long term biker. I think he knew the law, but liked this arragement very much when I switched it on to show him. Cheers
    Fairytales are the domain of infants ... Dreams are the stuff of progress.

Bike
    Your mom
    There are some nice lights for reasonable prices here.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Got some clarification today. In daytime you can use DRL as long as your headlight switches off when the DRLs switch on.

Completely defeats the purpose. It's an anti safety rule. Knob ends.
    Dicknuts. My DRLs don't turn off when the bike is going.
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Dicknuts. My DRLs don't turn off when the bike is going.
    Just fit a suitable switch - I had to on my bike as my DRLs were such a glare at night.
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    Just fit a suitable switch - I had to on my bike as my DRLs were such a glare at night.
    Irony Scummie.

DRLs are scientifically proven to be of most benefit in low light to dark conditions.

A tri-light formation, with maximum separation horizontally and vertically, makes it easier for a motorist in a give way to judge the onset of an approaching motorcyclist. It's the separation that counts, not just the brightness.

If they are too bright at night, I bet there's a way to reduce the voltage for night riding. Does that work with LEDs? I'm not sure.

I've been reading lots about this before starting a paper to get it made legal to run DRLs at the same time as headlights.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    I also work on a triangle of light being very odd and not often seen on the road. Even if the motorist just wonders what on earth that is... it's all I want.

How about asking for park lamps to be legal as well... currently they just classify it as a forward facing position lamp... bit of a problem when your DRL have been classified as forward facing position lamps... You can only have two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    VT1100C 1993 /DRZ400E
    I run daytime lights and fog lights, the Day running lights off after dark as they are too bright (dusk they are on) The fog lamps are enough after dark as they are still pretty white compared to the headlamp but being lower they don't blind the on coming traffic...... too bright and you are all they see and then it target fixation!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1470.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	283819

Name:	IMG_2191.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	18.3 KB 
ID:	283818

no close up of the day lamps but I was wiring them in here, mounted them using rifle scope rings and a bit of flat welded to the rings.... Cruiser bars are 1"

Name:	IMG_2178.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	109.2 KB 
ID:	283817

Yes its not legal to have day lamps and headlight going at one but I will run them both until someone tickets me....I would rather be seen !!

Bike
    A Japanese and two Italian tractors
    I've been reading lots about this before starting a paper to get it made legal to run DRLs at the same time as headlights.
    Nice one RC. Thanks for that. More power to your elbow!!!!
    And remember ...... if it hasn't got one of "Uncle Flip's" prosthetic kickers it isn't a real motorbike!!!

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Nothing illegal about running the front turn signals with a headlight. Cop bikes were wired this way in the 80's and a lot of USA based model motorcycles were. My 82 CSR750 kawasaki was set up that way.

The triangle thingy is why all cars also have a third high level brake light.

Just mount the bloody things and use them - switch them off when you got for a WOF. Just like popping the noise eater in the back of your muffler .....

Bike
    a fucking hornet
    scored these 1.5 watt ones of trademe for $20 delivered Click image for larger version. 

Name:	529143_10151631555435229_1215209778_n.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	283842
    and some rear ones $10 delivered of ebay

Name:	rear.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	283843

plastic fabricator/welder here if you need a hand ! will work for beer/bourbon/booze

come ride the southern roads www.southernrider.co.nz

Bike
    Between bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by hayd3n View Post
    scored these 1.5 watt ones of trademe for $20 delivered
    Are they these ones perchance? http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=602256633

Bike
    the mighty fzr and gsxr
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Nothing illegal about running the front turn signals with a headlight. Cop bikes were wired this way in the 80's and a lot of USA based model motorcycles were. My 82 CSR750 kawasaki was set up that way.

The triangle thingy is why all cars also have a third high level brake light.

Just mount the bloody things and use them - switch them off when you got for a WOF. Just like popping the noise eater in the back of your muffler .....
    my 87 fzr750 has the indicators on with the headlight looks good and visable.
    winding up stucky since ages ago

Bike
    a fucking hornet
    Quote Originally Posted by Erelyes View Post
    thats them

plastic fabricator/welder here if you need a hand ! will work for beer/bourbon/booze

come ride the southern roads www.southernrider.co.nz

Bike
    zx12r/ NH80
    Irony Scummie.

DRLs are scientifically proven to be of most benefit in low light to dark conditions.

A tri-light formation, with maximum separation horizontally and vertically, makes it easier for a motorist in a give way to judge the onset of an approaching motorcyclist. It's the separation that counts, not just the brightness.

If they are too bright at night, I bet there's a way to reduce the voltage for night riding. Does that work with LEDs? I'm not sure.

There is a project under way which may support a change to the legislation to enable the use of additional lighting configurations. Read more about it here; http://motonz.org.nz/projects/visibilityproject/

Cheers
    Paul

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Reckon these could be a go, http://dx.com/p/10w-1000lm-6000-7000...-dc-12v-185685

What do we think?
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Thread Information