Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fingertight Racing Sidecar Project

Bike
    Bucket Sidecar
    Good luck with the move, and I guess we will all have to be patient for the meantime. On the upside, the Waikato could be more central for bucketeering!!

Bike
    I just lost count
    So thread dredge time.

Well so far this weekend nothing as worked like a planned. Got so fed up with shit not fitting all the mounts that I had previously made for the engine that I had to walk away in disgust after only about an 1.5hr of work.

Now after a night of thinking about what to do next (and a couple of liquid relaxants) I come to the conclusion that rather than fuck around trying to sort out the mounts I had, I would grind the fuckers off and start again. So I have just spent that last couple of hours doing just that.

So I am now back to square fucking one regarding the mounting of the engine, and really the chair doesn't look a lot different than picture 1 of this thread

Fuck this thread is starting to feel a bit like F5Dave's 100 build thread. Na got a long way to go before it is that bad.

For the record Qkkid was in my bed, not the other way round

Quote Originally Posted by Yow Ling View Post
    Pumba is a wise man.

Bike
    KTM rc390 / z50r / K100sf / Yam DT200WR
    If you need a hand, I may be able to offer assistance - many years ago I built/raced bucket chairs and am tempting myself to get back involved... This may be the step needed to get serious.

Bike
    I just lost count
    Quote Originally Posted by peril 787b View Post
    If you need a hand, I may be able to offer assistance.
    Cheers for the offer. I think what I need more than anything is TIME!

Well the weekend didn't really go to plan. On the plus side the engine is very solidly mounted in with the mk2 engine mounts being far superior to the original nose I made. Oh and I think the engine is straight this time

On the down side not a lot more got done and I feel like I am up against as far to do it all properly before the GP. I am still hopeful but it just depends on what happens this weekend as to if it is possible (i.e. I get at least a full day and night with no baby sitting duties).

One of the biggest problems I am going to have is the FXR's oil cooler. I don't feel I can mount it in the standard position as I just don't see how it is going to get the required air flow; however the solid oil lines to the cooler are proving an issue. Thinking that I will need to cut the solid lines shorter and get some longer lengths of oil line re-crimped on the end to allow me to relocate the cooler, or am I over-thinking it and these oil coolers don't need anywhere near the volume of air that I think they need. Any advice on this one would be appreciated.

I didn't bother taking any photos as iIdon't feel enough has changed to warrant it.

Oh I also learnt that I appear to be a shit load better at arc welding rather than mig. Or maybe the arc I was using was just better, who knows. Another learning was that the box section frame is fairly thin wall, and the arc can blow holes it pretty quick if I am not paying attention

Pumba is a wise man.

Bike
    89 zxr400
    I havent seen that old girl for 14ish years, Im pretty sure that was a Lusty build, use to run a KE100 Kawasaki wiz bang engine in it, Doug and Ali got it as Ali was right into being the extra lump on a chair untill she had a biff with another rider and swar she would never ride for him again, Doug brought this and slapped his 100 motor out of his solo and they were away laughing.
    Growin' up as a kid, always thinkin', you know If I could ever just race motorcycles and make a living that would be the coolest thing know to mankind.

Bike
    I just lost count
    Cheers Worm. Good to hear a bit of history of the rig. If it was built for one of the nasty 2 stroke things it is not a wonder squeezing the FXR donk in there is proving a tight fit.

Pumba is a wise man.

Bike
    I just lost count
    So another weekend gone and some more work done. Even took some pictures for those that care.

Summary of the weekend is that the chair is back on its wheels and rolling around the shed, unfortunatly it is only rolling by man power not FXR power

Front brakes have been cleaned re-assembled with new pads, oil cooler is mounted with one oil line in place, and the wiring loom has been stripped of all the crap and laid up in place.

So next steps are to get a new oil line made up to fit the relocated oil cooler location, wire up the electrics, and sort out the fuel delivery.

I have thrown the coil where there were already a couple of bolt holes, does anyone see any issue with its location

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0019.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	853.8 KB 
ID:	281089

After sitting on it today with the chain in place I have also decided that I will be making up a shield to over the chain as I realised looking down that if a chain would fail that it really could get rather messy. Also while we are talking chains think I am going to put in a chain roller, maybe this http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=580061047, to ensure that I get clearance to one of the frame rails. Of course ideally the engine would have been mounted lower, but its not for a number of other reasons.

So really it is not going to be ready for this coming weekend as I have just run out of time and has I have no shed here at my rental cant work on it during the week I really am a gutted.

Anyway photos, just because

Name:	IMG_0018.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	832.2 KB 
ID:	281090 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0017.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	873.2 KB 
ID:	281091 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0007.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	843.2 KB 
ID:	281092 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0006.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	843.0 KB 
ID:	281093 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	856.1 KB 
ID:	281094

Pumba is a wise man.

Bike
    Rattlecan blue
    Good that progress is being made, bummer that it won't be ready.
    That coil will be fine where it is.
    Stock is best

Bike
    -
    Is that one of those VT250 inboard disc things on the front? What kind of wheel has it been attached to, is it a 10inch mini wheel or similar?

Bike
    I just lost count
    Yea runs a VT250F inboard disk and calliper from the early 80's up front. Wheels front and rear (as far as I am aware) are from a Suzuki RV90 monkey bike. The side wheel is just a car rim, possibly mini in origin.

Pumba is a wise man.

Bike
    1998 Honda VTR
    Looks like its coming along nicely, shame it won't make Tokoroa, how is Mt Wellington looking??

Good news for the rigs, I know of another rig being made, pics to follow, might be a couple of months away, and its another local runner... So that could make seven out by June-July.

Bike
    I just lost count
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazzza View Post
    Looks like its coming along nicely, shame it won't make Tokoroa, how is Mt Wellington looking??

Good news for the rigs, I know of another rig being made, pics to follow, might be a couple of months away, and its another local runner... So that could make seven out by June-July.
    Given that the Mt Welly April meet is the week after Tok I cant see much progress being made (limited to weekend work as the sidecar is at the olds because there is no shed at our rental) and looking at the calendar there is a good chance we will be moving the weekend of the May meet

So June might be the next chance, by which time time it should dam well be finished.

Pumba is a wise man.

Bike
    I just lost count
    Well it is finally here. The chair is back in my own garage so I can get some work done on it while the mrs does that child raising thing (or plays playstation/Xbox once said kid is on bed .

Should see some progress now an a running chair at the next meet

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371970645.909312.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	256.2 KB 
ID:	284254

Pumba is a wise man.

Bike
    Honda RS 125 1992
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumba View Post
    Well it is finally here. The chair is back in my own garage so I can get some work done on it while the mrs does that child raising thing (or plays playstation/Xbox once said kid is on bed .

Should see some progress now an a running chair at the next meet

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371970645.909312.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	256.2 KB 
ID:	284254
    Great news, start of the season and we should have 3 chairs..

Bike
    Rattlecan blue
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick 52 View Post
    Great news, start of the season and we should have 3 chairs..
    If everyone who has said they may turn up fronts on the day we should have more than that

Pumba
    Us
    The Lawrences
    Brenton
    Des

Could get busy in turn one.
    Stock is best

Thread Information