Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread: Ask an Engineer

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Cheers for the responses gentlemen.

Yeh bike will def be stainless, probly just 304. Not sure the exact design, but I've got CAD etc and can get tube lasering or mandrel bending done as required. It's more figuring out what standard bits are available to work with, cos you do not want to pay for lasering of the perforations

For the car I might go with mild, probably should just ask on those forums, as I don't want something that ends up sounding like a boyracer shitbox... Will keep Segedins in mind spokes, but they have very little info posted on their muffler units.
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Will keep Segedins in mind spokes, but they have very little info posted on their muffler units.
    Yerp, the website is a bit shit but they have lots of bends for making headers etc. You cant make the muffler you want?
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    you do not want to pay for lasering of the perforations
    http://www.sandersonmachines.com/
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Yerp, the website is a bit shit but they have lots of bends for making headers etc. You cant make the muffler you want?
    Will do for the bike, can't really be arsed doing one for the car as well. Even just shit like SS O2 sensor weld nuts are proving tricky to find... Almost wish I'd got the $10 ones from the place I got my sensor gear.
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    husaberg
    Cheers for the responses gentlemen.

Yeh bike will def be stainless, probly just 304. Not sure the exact design, but I've got CAD etc and can get tube lasering or mandrel bending done as required. It's more figuring out what standard bits are available to work with, cos you do not want to pay for lasering of the perforations

For the car I might go with mild, probably should just ask on those forums, as I don't want something that ends up sounding like a boyracer shitbox... Will keep Segedins in mind spokes, but they have very little info posted on their muffler units.
    Perforations...... have a look at this. (when I find it)
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/al...hmentid=303865
    Click on the pic to scroll through.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Exercycle
    I'm late to the party but for MS exhaust bits, Chase is the place now. Even got quite a range of sensor fittings from memory - but not SS.
    Bogan - for your car, just buy a system from Chase, they have a pretty wide range premade.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Anyone know a good (cheap) place for custom cut glass? I'm looking to do a coffee table, 4 panes can just be sharp as fuck window glass or whatever, top pane should be thicker/toughened with 4 holes (preferably countersunk) and beveled/polished edges with radius'd corners...

Bike
    Exercycle
    Anyone know a good (cheap) place for custom cut glass? I'm looking to do a coffee table, 4 panes can just be sharp as fuck window glass or whatever, top pane should be thicker/toughened with 4 holes (preferably countersunk) and beveled/polished edges with radius'd corners...
    I'd look in the yellow pages for a splashback manufacturer. For interior use even for shelves I'd want better than window glass.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    My glass making contacts are all gone mate.

Couple of things, though. Sharp edges are verboten, (stress risers) and any glass should be cross belt linished at a minimum.

Toughened glass is wonderful stuff, but it don't solve all the problems. The edges are still vulnerable to a sharp wack, and it still scratches just the same. Often it's not too flat as it gets a bit of roller wave from the furnace, (ask to see samples). And if it ever does break the tiny wee shards that fall out between the main fracture pattern end up in the carpet, and usually cut the pile off at ground level within a month or two. You can make all artistic like, and take the chance with exposed edges, or you can fit the glass into a rebated frame.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    RSVR1000 YZ490J
    I'll go first, I'm doing some single point spline broaching (into ali), and have to grind up the broach tool as the hole size is about 8mm (gear shifter shaft). What material is best to grind into shape, and what grinding procedures (cooling etc) are needed. Have got plenty of busted carbide and HSS cutters if either of those materials would be suitable?
    HSS is best for cutting ali and if you need coolant kerosene is also the best for ali, keep your tools sharp as ali is very abrasive and pickup easy, i used to braise a carbide tiponto HSS then grind it sharp on a silicon carbide or diamond wheel.

Bike
    RSVR1000 YZ490J
    I have a friend semi retired here dvk who is great and works for beer lol

Bike
    RSVR1000 YZ490J
    Anyone know a good source for exhaust parts? off the shelf tube bends, weld flanges/fittings, mufflers (complete or as parts); one to do for the bike, one for the car.
    steel and tube sell most bends but ill talk to the old man tomorrow to see where he got his doughnuts cos he used to own the exhaust shop here in dvk a few years back.

Bike
    RSVR1000 YZ490J
    Anyone know a good source for exhaust parts? off the shelf tube bends, weld flanges/fittings, mufflers (complete or as parts); one to do for the bike, one for the car.
    just talked to the fossil he recond manawatu mufflers tremain ave for donuts

Bike
    RSVR1000 YZ490J
    Quote Originally Posted by speights_bud View Post
    Yep i'm with you now. Probably shitty suppliers that are machining to different tolerances. Are the differing parts being locally made? or are they chinese shit/good euro quality?
    It doesn't take much to go from tight to sloppy on a parallel thread. My guess is that a CNC just spits them out and no one gives a damn.

As you can see in the previous photo's, the 'standard' dimensions allow for no clearance on the threads.

It cleans them up pretty well, but then again we only use the small taps. 1/4 and 1/8 for plugging off 12mm waterway galleries. Nothing big like 1-2inch.
    I would expect most female threads above 1 1/2" would usually be turned in a lathe?

Your guys would be cutting their own male threads though wouldn't they?
    Not that this makes any difference as the problem you are having is the "same shaft, sloppy in some holes but not others"
    most workshops in aussie use unc for bsw apart from 1/2 inch cos its 1tpi diff but the angle of the thread is diff to, the aussie solution heaps of thread tape lmao...
    also npt is just a bit bigger than bsp another head ache. i think the worst thread ive ever come up against was bike thread which as on a 30s humber

Bike
    KTM 250exc
    Quote Originally Posted by MENTAL490 View Post
    most workshops in aussie use unc for bsw apart from 1/2 inch cos its 1tpi diff but the angle of the thread is diff to, the aussie solution heaps of thread tape lmao...
    Yea we would always use 60deg tooling for Whitworth threads. Just too much expense/hassle to buy or modify tooling to 55deg. Just match up the desired TPI and go for t.

Unless it was quite a large & course thread, and even then I'd just make something up from HSS

Thread Information