Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask an Engineer

Bike
    Exercycle
    Firstly the disc carrier - fercrissake make it with some decent blending radii - avoid sharp section changes like your example pictured.

Sprocket carrier - the Honda style drive pins on the sprocket are a royal pain when it comes to changing gearing if you only have one set.Removing from one sprocket and putting into the next usually requires a vice to hold them....not fun at the track.

I'd put studs into the carrier and retain the RS sprockets with nylocs myself.

Everybody is right - for this application you don't need a cush. If you did or if you're being stubborn (bloody coaster)...what I've done previously is holesaw abt 35mm holes in the sprocket and use urethane bushes with large top hat alloy retainers held on with a countersunk capscrew. If you're short of space outboard of the sprocket this only comes out about 3mm from the sprocket face.
    If you're not short of room, again,studs and nylocs.

Bike
    2000 Aprilia RSV Mille,
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Right not everyone knows this but all the late era MV Augustas (the Real MV's that finished in the 1970's) actually had aluminium alloy disk brake rotors.
    I know many have experimented with plated and plasma coated aluminium alloy disk rotors without success.

MV supposedly had no trouble with the plain aluminum alloy rotors but what alloy might they have used and what sort of pad material would be suitable.

yes i realise an MMC material would be probably better but does anyone have any ideas?
    I are picking that it would have to had a high silicon content....
    Sprint car guys use alloys discs on occasions. How about starting your research there?
    Mind you, why do you want an alloy disc?
    "I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it." -- Erwin Schrodinger talking about quantum mechanics.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Right not everyone knows this but all the late era MV Augustas (the Real MV's that finished in the 1970's) actually had aluminium alloy disk brake rotors.
    I know many have experimented with plated and plasma coated aluminium alloy disk rotors without success.

MV supposedly had no trouble with the plain aluminum alloy rotors but what alloy might they have used and what sort of pad material would be suitable.

yes i realise an MMC material would be probably better but does anyone have any ideas?
    I are picking that it would have to had a high silicon content....
    Just to finally clear this up - and stop Hus wasting time searching the net.....they were Harry Hunt plasma sprayed discs usually on Morris mags - bought as a package deal from California.
    Harry kept his methodology close to his chest...it was believed there was a high bronze content in whatever he sprayed onto the alloy and he never said what alloy he used either AFAIK.
    I think Harry may be dead now....

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Just to finally clear this up - and stop Hus wasting time searching the net.....they were Harry Hunt plasma sprayed discs usually on Morris mags - bought as a package deal from California.
    Harry kept his methodology close to his chest...it was believed there was a high bronze content in whatever he sprayed onto the alloy and he never said what alloy he used either AFAIK.
    I think Harry may be dead now....
    Remember guys, i now have a mild steel Chinese disk made from recycled Woks............
    the Works BSA and triumphs used aluminium disks that were sprayed (with some sort of steel)
    from 1970 on but cast iron rotors were used for the long races to aleviate overheating (classic racer winter 88)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Firstly the disc carrier - fercrissake make it with some decent blending radii - avoid sharp section changes like your example pictured.

Sprocket carrier - the Honda style drive pins on the sprocket are a royal pain when it comes to changing gearing if you only have one set.Removing from one sprocket and putting into the next usually requires a vice to hold them....not fun at the track.

I'd put studs into the carrier and retain the RS sprockets with nylocs myself.

Everybody is right - for this application you don't need a cush. If you did or if you're being stubborn (bloody coaster)...what I've done previously is holesaw abt 35mm holes in the sprocket and use urethane bushes with large top hat alloy retainers held on with a countersunk capscrew. If you're short of space outboard of the sprocket this only comes out about 3mm from the sprocket face.
    If you're not short of room, again,studs and nylocs.
    Yes us coaster are stubborn
    it will have a nice radius like the fillet on a crank.I was too lazy to draw a pic...........
    I are undecided the cush and more undecided about the pins. Some yams have the built in stud as part of the cush drive bush.
    i have not measured the pins i have but i are guessing the RS sprocket holes are 2mm larger anyway.
    with the STD Honda pin i put a spanner on them to remove them (They have a flat) but now there is no wreckers. i shudder to think what Honda would want for them new if i was to purchase 4-5 sets.
    Last edited by husaberg; 22nd December 2012 at 13:11. Reason: oh the Honda pins i have are the same size
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    with the STD Honda pin i put a spanner on them to remove them (They have a flat) but now there is no wreckers. i shudder to think what Honda would want for them new if i was to purchase 4-5 sets.
    I'm with everybody, the massive torque hammerstroke from an F4 combustion stroke doesn't warrent a cush.

If it did, I'd weld home made pins to every sprocket, the only thing you need to change one then is circlip pliers.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    I got one!

Are two 6-8mm ish plates of alloy going to be strong enough for the front engine mount on my GN/DR600 thing...

And Bogan, I should have them covers done by tomorrow after milking takes a bit long with the indented stuffs because I haven't got the dremel up here
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Got the aformentioned spline shaper going today, see me other thread for details.

Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    And Bogan, I should have them covers done by tomorrow after milking takes a bit long with the indented stuffs because I haven't got the dremel up here
    Chur, rather you than me with that shit! And me frame/swinger and a few pairs of rearsets are waiting for a good polish whenever you get tired of pulling tits...
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    I got one!

Are two 6-8mm ish plates of alloy going to be strong enough for the front engine mount on my GN/DR600 thing...
    Plenty. In fact I'd be looking for areas to make big holes. If there's spacer tubes involved I'd use some heavy washers against the alloy or the compression will distort the surface and they'll work loose.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    husaberg
    I got one!

Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    Plenty. In fact I'd be looking for areas to make big holes. If there's spacer tubes involved I'd use some heavy washers against the alloy or the compression will distort the surface and they'll work loose.
    I am no engineer (that's for sure)
    but one thing you must do is make sure the tread on the engine bolts are the correct length so the shank only bears against the alloy plates. Other wise it will wear the holes in the alloy plate bigger in no time, then it will vibrate, and then wear the holes bigger, etc, etc.

That's a tip from old pommy specials like Tritons.
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    Enfield cr250r
    Blog Entries
    Sorry due to time I'm only able to the quick flippant reply
    I flick through this thread , one minute brakes , now we are on to engine mounts , for a 150 four stroke ?
    How much vibration and how much polish do we want
    And what engine frame combo?

Steel and reamed holes is a good practice but as u may have read of people putting big singles in a alloy frame , the load , vibration paths weren't considered and it vibrates too much
    Give me some calculations ,,,,,,:-) :-) :-) :-) ,,,
    Stephen
    "Look, Madame, where we live, look how we live ... look at the life we have...The Republic has forgotten us."

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Got the aformentioned spline shaper going today, see me other thread for details.

Chur, rather you than me with that shit! And me frame/swinger and a few pairs of rearsets are waiting for a good polish whenever you get tired of pulling tits...
    Choice, I'll pick 'em up one of these days

Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    I am no engineer (that's for sure)
    but one thing you must do is make sure the tread on the engine bolts are the correct length so the shank only bears against the alloy plates. Other wise it will wear the holes in the alloy plate bigger in no time, then it will vibrate, and then wear the holes bigger, etc, etc.

That's a tip from old pommy specials like Tritons.
    Cheers chaps!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian d marge View Post
    Sorry due to time I'm only able to the quick flippant reply
    I flick through this thread , one minute brakes , now we are on to engine mounts , for a 150 four stroke ?
    How much vibration and how much polish do we want
    And what engine frame combo?

Steel and reamed holes is a good practice but as u may have read of people putting big singles in a alloy frame , the load , vibration paths weren't considered and it vibrates too much
    Give me some calculations ,,,,,,:-) :-) :-) :-) ,,,
    Stephen
    150cc?
    Mine's a 589cc (currently...) in a shit steel frame I want lots of polish, that's all I know... mine's a DR600 in to a GN250
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    To save a bit of weight my bro-in-law made an aluminium rear disk for Bruce Ansteys TZ years back. It was only ever used in scruitineering.
    when Bruce was on the brakes in a race the back wheel was usually off the ground anyway.

Oh and Kawasaki used plasma sprayed ally disks on the H2Rs back in the day
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    husaberg
    Decent foundry to cast ally cylinders in CHCH is...............
    From a very well made professional spec mold.
    Add in costs if you know them 2kg.one of 1-20 there of........
    I seriously want to do it out of old pistons Bert style but it's not a deal breaker
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    Several
    I got one!

Again, I'm no engineer but a big single in a small frame is going to be interesting.
    Have you got a build thread?
    Heinz Varieties

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Take a look at a speedway bike as an example of "big engine minimalist frame" Engine plates on those are 6mm aluminium
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Thread Information