Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Open face helmets vs full face helmets - what's your preference?

Bike
    Hyosung GT250P

Open face helmets vs full face helmets - what's your preference?

I recently dropped my cheap-arse first helmet so I'm looking to get a new one.

But with summer coming up I've been considering buying an open face (possibly in conjunction with a full face for longer/faster riders - bugs in your teeth etc). I just think it would feel much nicer on the commute into work with an open face during the summer months.

Any thoughts on safety/looks/practicality of open face vs full face?

Bike
    Dont have one now
    Quote Originally Posted by BlightyBiker View Post
    I recently dropped my cheap-arse first helmet so I'm looking to get a new one.

But with summer coming up I've been considering buying an open face (possibly in conjunction with a full face for longer/faster riders - bugs in your teeth etc). I just think it would feel much nicer on the commute into work with an open face during the summer months.

Any thoughts on safety/looks/practicality of open face vs full face?
    I have an open face helmet for slow cruises around town, commutes and really hot days stuck in stupid Auckland traffic. I find a full face fogs up my glasses (prescription glasses) on really hot days and is very distracting. As far as possible, if my ride is going to be mainly open road, 100kmh stuff I use the full face. I have canned off and rubbed my helmet on the road (95 odd kmh) face first so I know the risk.....I just find it so distracting to be too hot and fogged up. It feels nice on a good day too.....I am sure I will be criticized but, hey.....too f**ken bad aye

Bike
    SF
    Safety? You won't go better than full face. Even the modular/system flip-up helmets are a compromise (check sharp ratings for the ability to stay closed in a crash). Open face puts you at risk of grinding your face or suffering a nasty impact in a crash. That said, as with all gear choices, know the risks and make a choice for yourself

Bike
    Triumph Speed Four
    Each to their own, but my personal preference has always been for full face helmet, even when riding overseas in the tropics.

As a teen, I saw a friend go through upper and lower jaw reconstructive surgery after having an accident on a scooter, wearing an open face helmet.

That was enough convincing for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    Time to cut out the "holier/more enlightened than thou" bullshit and the "slut" comments and let people live honestly how they like providing they're not harming themselves or others in the process.

Bike
    anything I can get my grubby wee paws on
    I like the wind on my face

I feel claustrophobic behind the visor of a full face helmet - plus they tend to fog

But I dont like the idea of scraping my jaw down the road

So I use a MX style helmet - best of both worlds
    =mjc=

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Full face without doubt...What size helmet, we have a Black Shark S500 you can have real cheap...been worn a couple of times...0n special now for $149.00 @ cycletreads...make an offer if it suits?
    We also have a KBC Lady Killer brand new, (bought, but ended up being to tight)...size MD 57-58cm...http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...-Helmet-Medium
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	572.0 KB 
ID:	272872   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	791.3 KB 
ID:	272873  

Bike
    Hyosung GT250P
    Quote Originally Posted by jim.cox View Post
    I feel claustrophobic behind the visor of a full face helmet - plus they tend to fog
    Yeah, I really struggled with claustrophobia when I first started riding but it's not too bad now. It's more the fogging and the desire to feel the wind like you said.

Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    Full face without doubt...What size helmet, we have a Black Shark S500 you can have real cheap...been worn a couple of times...0n special now for $149.00...make an offer if it suits?
    We also have a KBC Lady Killer brand new, (bought but ended up being to tight)...size MD 57-58cm...
    Thanks so much for the offer Maha. In cheap helmets with not much padding I'm an XS (not sure of the specific measurements) but I tried on a Shark recently and an XS was waaaay too small so an S might fit but M may be too big. Will go to Cycle Treads this weekend to to try on a medium and see what it's like!

Bike
    2013 GSXR-1300 Hayabusa
    My 2c, if you are going for a helmet, don't skimp. Be it full or open face, get a good quality one with a good safety rating. As for open or full, get whatever you want to get. What you like the fit of, feel of and most importantly what makes you feel good on the inside. Don't listen to the scaremongering and friend of a friend stories of people losing their face whilst riding in an open face. You can be wearing every bit of safety kit on the planet and end up in bits.

Myself, I have currently in my stock, 2 full face helmets and 2 open face. A givi open face with shield for hot commutes, a davida open face with goggles for commutes and open road. A rockhard and a shark helmet (full facers) for whenever. One of each is a good way to go haha.

Have fun, try lots on and get it sized properly.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by ital916 View Post
    My 2c, if you are going for a helmet, don't skimp. Be it full or open face, get a good quality one with a good safety rating. As for open or full, get whatever you want to get. What you like the fit of, feel of and most importantly what makes you feel good on the inside. Don't listen to the scaremongering and friend of a friend stories of people losing their face whilst riding in an open face. You can be wearing every bit of safety kit on the planet and end up in bits.

Myself, I have currently in my stock, 2 full face helmets and 2 open face. A givi open face with shield for hot commutes, a davida open face with goggles for commutes and open road. A rockhard and a shark helmet (full facers) for whenever.

Have fun, try lots on and get it sized properly.
    But do you really care?......

Bike
    2013 GSXR-1300 Hayabusa
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    But do really care?......
    As to what she does in the end...na not really , I do care though about what Mcdonalds combo I will have for lunch. I'm thinking a 10pc Mcnuggets combo.

Bike
    Hyosung GT250P
    Quote Originally Posted by ital916 View Post
    As to what she does in the end...na not really , I do care though about what Mcdonalds combo I will have for lunch. I'm thinking a 10pc Mcnuggets combo.
    Aw thanks guys, I'm feeling the love!

But seriously, it's all good advice thanks!

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    I like my jaw. Also, I've discovered you can't plan for when you're going to come off (otherwise I'd be at home wrapped in cotton wool at that time), so I'll go for best protection thanks.

I use a solid full face for commuting and city work, but for all my country riding etc I have a flip face as lifting the jaw when stopped is very handy. Service stations complain less as well. I've come off at 100kph before and it stayed shut, so as long as it's a good quality flip front, then I see no safety issue with it. In time, my next commuting helmet might also be a flip...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    I like my jaw.
    Wot 'e said. I quite like having a chin too so it's always full face. If you get a decent one (Arai in my case) there is excellent ventilation and a pinlock fixes any fogging. You can always leave the vent open a smidgen if you want more wind in your face.

I'd sure hate to faceplant in an open face lid. At warp factor 9. Doesn't bear thinking about.
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Its like any decision about personal protection equipment over the minimum legal standard, innit? Entirely up to you. Your choices will be coloured by your comfort with risk, your perception of that risk, involving the type of riding, where you're riding, weather, blahdeblah.

If you want to wear it, wear it. Dont whine like a little bitch if your decision bites you in the arse. Or face. What evs. Thats all I'm asking.

Its worth nothing to you I know, but I have a Davida Jet which I wear occasionally in summer. I don't look half as good as the woman in their ads though. I am a prescription glasses wearer too.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...i prefer a full face for riding on my local roads...

...a plus to an open face out here is not having to stop for lunch...but six or eight of these up your nose and a dozen in each eye makes for a hell of a ride...

Thread Information