Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roundabouts

Bike
    bike?

Roundabouts

I have recently got a bike after many years of not riding and am pretty nervous back on the road! I am finding my self plotting my route so that I dont encounter tight inner town round abouts....any tips please! I seem to be wobbling around them watching cars and doing everything wrong. Oh I did the Coro loop and was passed by cars on a nuber of occasions (blush).

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    What's the bike?

There's no secret, just get used to working with the clutch in what the books call the "friction zone" and practice. Get yourself onto a big grass area, bung a couple of markers on the ground and start doing slow figure eights. Move the markers closer and practice some more.

Once you've discovered that there's no real limit to how slow you can ride you'll be away.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    bike?
    I have a1998 Ducati SS 400. Thanks for the suggestion...its a goody!! Learning to control it without having to worry about what everyone else is doing is good advise.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    You're probably lacking in confidence, which makes you nervous. Bikes are an intelligent breed and copy what you're feeling. If you're nervous, the bike is generally nervous, and vice versa.

As Ocean says, find somewhere quiet to practise control of the bike. Once you have that down, you can add in the complexities of traffic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    2011 CB1000R
    I think you need to do a basic handling test.
    Ride right ride safe course etc.
    Round a bouts should be easy for a motorcycle license holder.
    Quote Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post
    etiquette? treat it like every other vehicle on the road, assume they are a blind, ignorant brainless cunt who is out to kill you, and ride accordingly

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Bus Timetable?....

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    400ss takes a while to get good at riding.
    Bars arnt very wide so a bit harder at slow speeds.
    Just ride it more on quieter streets and it will just happen.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    XRV750, DL650, KL250, XR200R
    One of the earliest skills that need to be learnt with trials riding is to be able to turn the bike on full lock without using your feet on the ground, I realize that on trials and trail bikes you can stand up but its still a throttle/clutch/balance skill and have got their place with road bikes too, Its these skills that can very helpfull when doing things like a "U" turn on a street. wider bars are certainly an advantage here but its just a matter of practise.

Remember the bike will always want to go where you look(unless the laws of physics or gravity have taken over) its the same as always looking ahead to the exit or as far as you can see around a corner and the bike will automatically set itself up to go there, try it in a roundabout. If you are genuinely wobbling a bit then maybe you are going a bit slow but this of course may be because of the traffic congestion (Im glad I live and work in the country)
    I will also endorse the suggestion of a back to basics type riding course (Cost permitting)

Whatever you do, ride safe and enjoy. Remember, NEVER EVER let yourself be forced out of your own comfort zone.

Cheers
    COP, "Ive been waiting to catch you all day"
    BIKER "Sorry officer, I got here as fast as I could"

Bike
    2015 HD Street 500
    Agree 100% with Ocean.
    A couple of cones, and empty car park and figure 8's.
    1.25 coke bottles full of water work fine.
    If its a nice sunny warm day, then an even better surface in my opinion is grass, getting use to that slight slipperiness, teaches you how to handle that sensation you encounter with road film on wet round-a-bouts, will save your ass at least once in the future for sure.
    To be old and wise, first you must be young and stupid.

Bike
    I used to have an issue with right turns at roundabouts. I am lucky that there is a 10 minute route in my neighbourhood that involves 5 roundabouts in a very large ride around the block. Anytime I got a new bike, I would do that route a few times.
    If you are really nervous, stop, look carefully, then enter the roundabout - the worst thing to do when you are nervous, is to muck about, not sure if you have time to pull out, and panic. Nothing worse than being halfway through am intersection (or whatever) and thinking "shit, I don't have the time/speed/distance available".

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by Subike View Post
    Agree 100% with Ocean.
    A couple of cones, and empty car park and figure 8's.
    1.25 coke bottles full of water work fine.
    If its a nice sunny warm day, then an even better surface in my opinion is grass, getting use to that slight slipperiness, teaches you how to handle that sensation you encounter with road film on wet round-a-bouts, will save your ass at least once in the future for sure.
    People are good also, they tend to move about a bit, but that all helps with the assertiveness.

Bike
    bike?
    Thankyou!! I have had the steering lock adjusted which was apparently ridiculous....this has made quite a difference ! I will do the cones in a paddock practice- sure makes sense to me. I think I can avoid the bus ticket option from here in!

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by joninety View Post
    Thankyou!! I have had the steering lock adjusted which was apparently ridiculous....this has made quite a difference !
    Interesting. I was aware that at least some Ducatis had adjustable stops, never knew why. I take it someone had adjusted them to significantly restrict available steering angle?

I've had bikes with severely limited steerage, it can catch you out from time to time.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    I've seen this teaching my kids to drive/ride, learning to control the machine is one part of it, the other is making a decision about what you are going to do before you have to do it.

Decide as early as possible what you're going to do and if you're stopping stop if you're going get on with it, should be no coasting/hesitating/wobbling involved.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    bike?
    Yes -a previous owner had a very interesting riding position... along with the steering , the bars were at the angle of hedge clippers! Some adjustments here and there have made it a much more logical ride. Thanks heaps for your comments and interest.

Thread Information