Thread: 88 VT250F fork seal replacement

Bike
    2001 RF400RV

88 VT250F fork seal replacement

So I've been riding my bike pretty much everywhere, walked home a couple times but otherwise put about 1200km on it now with my frankenmotor.

So the first WOF is about due, good excuse to get my ass into gear and fix the fork seals which is about the last thing in a big list of items I have been repairing slowly. Am I going to have to pull them out to be sure of the size or were they the same for the most part year to year? Can obviously get the fork diameter etc with it apart but never done a fork seal before, no idea what I'm in for

My basic questions are
    Do I need specific seals or will doing it by size at the local seal place with one of the right style be fine? Knowing the size ahead of time would be sweet.
    Special tools at all? Because I'll get them before having it halfway apart
    What weight of oil do these things like?

Been googling, have some idea but also some conflicting info. Can't be that hard but I need my bike now so want to knock it out in a day rather than pulling to bits then running around after parts.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 328FTW View Post
    Been googling, have some idea but also some conflicting info. Can't be that hard but I need my bike now so want to knock it out in a day rather than pulling to bits then running around after parts.
    Spend some money on a workshop manual.

Or ... Google/download one. It will explain everything you need to know.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2007 Kawasaki ER6-n
    Blog Entries
    If you make any headway in your quest to replace the forkseals, givviz a yell, because my bro picked up a rooted example as a project, and the seals are BAD. I just discovered a place called "Pyramid Parts" http://www.pyramidparts.co.nz/ They sell fork seals for all sorts of models. Maybe give them an email.

Bike
    Prolight 250,XR4hundy
    google Econohonda....Ive lost their email addy, they'll no doubt have the seals & ive found them to be a good outfit.

Its not a biggy, job wise....the allen bolt in the bottom of the forks can be a problem if its stiff, make sure you leave the springs & caps on when you try to undo it. You'll need to, as its how you knock the old seals out by pulling the fork apart. Screw drivers are a no-no
    Fork oil is usually 10 wt init? 'cause Asians are light. I'd go to 15wt. Unless your Asian.
    A piece of plastic tube that you slip over the fork stanchion to knock the seals home.
    Glad wrap over the fork tube top as you slip the seal over so it doesnt get "cut"

These things I have learned.....
    The Heart is the drum keeping time for everyone....

Bike
    2001 RF400RV
    Yeah I just started on this today, one shock was shagged, I got the good one off first and the leaking one just collapsed and sat the bike on the floor. Don't think it was doing much anymore. Just got to get them apart now.

Thread Information