Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ADSL 2+ exchange

Bike
    Your mom

ADSL 2+ exchange

How do I find out the location of the ADSL 2+ exchanges in Christchurch? I have managed to find out the suburbs in which the exchanges are located, but not an exact area. Google search doesn't help much.

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Why do you need that info?

Bike
    Your mom
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Why do you need that info?
    I'm thinking of making the change from Telstra cable to ADSL but if I live too far from the exchange then the speeds are going to be shit, so I'd like to find out before signing up for a contract.

Bike
    So old you won't care
    They will give you a list of connectable addresses ans should be able to test the speed from your front gate.

Bike
    1987 GPX 250

Bike
    2007 Triumph Tiger 1050
    Blog Entries
    most places have cabinets these days.. at least in Auckland anyway... not many people in urban areas should connect to the exchange directly anymore.
    "If a million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing." - Anatole France
    "An education isn't how much you have committed to memory, or even how much you know. It's being able to differentiate between what you know and what you don't." - Anatole France
    ZRXOA #9170

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Service availability tool is what you're after by sil3nt ^

Otherwise, flick me a PM with the address and I'll be able to tell you indicative speeds for that line. Indicative only obviously, but you won't get faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Whats this VDSL stuff that is supposedly faster than ADSL2 and available at my address? Might be a better option for smokeu also?
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    SF
    VDSL is way faster but still not as fast as cable, so I'm told. I've also previously asked about exchange and cabinet locations but have been told by telecom that they're not allowed to disclose that information. I guess people might go steal the equipment or something

Bike
    Your mom
    Quote Originally Posted by sil3nt View Post
    http://chorus.co.nz/service-availability-tool
    http://hwiki.digitalsouth.net.nz/bro...ange_locations

Apparently Google Earth has them listed as well. Haven't checked though.
    That map shows that I'm in an ADSL 2+ area (my place is inside the pink area on the map, very close to the edge).

Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Whats this VDSL stuff that is supposedly faster than ADSL2 and available at my address? Might be a better option for smokeu also?
    No VDSL2 in my area unfortunately.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Depending on area, effectively you're getting a much faster upload. We upgraded our office from ADSL2 to VDSL, and while down is slightly faster for real world purposes of downloading (ie, receiving the data from a server) it doesn't make that much difference. Upload however, well, that's awesome, but the average person won't benefit if they're browsing the web.

Quote Originally Posted by steve_t View Post
    VDSL is way faster but still not as fast as cable, so I'm told. I've also previously asked about exchange and cabinet locations but have been told by telecom that they're not allowed to disclose that information. I guess people might go steal the equipment or something
    Generally your best bet is to ask for a line test to see what kind of speeds you could expect. Previously, we had to simply order the line and find out when the modem was connected, but now with access to a portal we've got a lot more ability, which helps advise our clients.
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Depending on area, effectively you're getting a much faster upload. We upgraded our office from ADSL2 to VDSL, and while down is slightly faster for real world purposes of downloading (ie, receiving the data from a server) it doesn't make that much difference. Upload however, well, that's awesome, but the average person won't benefit if they're browsing the web.
    How about the latency for gaming?
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    How about the latency for gaming?
    That's a complex question. It depends on the provider, whether you're connecting to a server they actually host, or going somewhere else. If you're going somewhere else, it depends on their links to their peers, how the data is cached or routed etc. This can also change over time, as a provider seeks to reduce costs (buying cheaper bandwidth with a higher contention ratio) or increases performance (more expensive bandwidth).

Their decisions have a big impact on the service you receive but your point to point link from house to cabinet (then backhaul to network) hasn't changed one bit.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    That's a complex question. It depends on the provider, whether you're connecting to a server they actually host, or going somewhere else. If you're going somewhere else, it depends on their links to their peers, how the data is cached or routed etc. This can also change over time, as a provider seeks to reduce costs (buying cheaper bandwidth with a higher contention ratio) or increases performance (more expensive bandwidth).

Their decisions have a big impact on the service you receive but your point to point link from house to cabinet (then backhaul to network) hasn't changed one bit.
    So better to go with a provider getting good reviews (specifically locally, or countrywide?) with adsl2, than expect a better service from vdsl?

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    So better to go with a provider getting good reviews (specifically locally, or countrywide?) with adsl2, than expect a better service from vdsl?
    Being business orientated cost is small consideration with performance ranking far higher, also not up with gaming demands etc. Gaming certainly has an upload component, but I have no idea how much data...

Ultimately, yes, you'd want low latency as the packets are far more time sensitive vs an email, so yes, good local reviews. If the provider hosts the servers you'd be using then yes, you could expect good results. Point of Presence is another factor, ie, if you have a Wellington provider, traffic from your home would go to Wellington before Auckland (if you tried to get to Auckland)... we've had some interesting headaches around that with VOIP.

Buying a faster line likely removes one link from the equation, but treat your connection to the servers as a chain with a series of links. It could be any of those links that's causing the slower service.

edit: VDSL isn't an option for smokeu

Thread Information