Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Restricted license test? I'm looking for recent experiences

Bike
    2007 Suzuki LS650 Boulevard
    Vest - didn't have one.

Both feet down - good practice as you don't know what your tester will decide is 'best' so err on side of caution, if it doesn't make you look like you don't know what you are doing.

Head turns - I tried to exaggerate mine, and even then he thought I didn't do a head check at one spot where I know I did (he thought I was checking my mirrors, rather than a full head check).
    There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those that do not.

Bike
    Hyosung GT250P
    Thanks all, these are really helpful! Going for my restricted in a months time so I want to get into the habit now.

Quote Originally Posted by arcane12 View Post
    Vest - didn't have one.

Both feet down - good practice as you don't know what your tester will decide is 'best' so err on side of caution, if it doesn't make you look like you don't know what you are doing.

Head turns - I tried to exaggerate mine, and even then he thought I didn't do a head check at one spot where I know I did (he thought I was checking my mirrors, rather than a full head check).
    Vest - I may buy a cheapie vest to show enthusiasm.

Both feed down - can be a struggle on my bike as it's HUGE, but hopefully they can see I'm trying.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by BlightyBiker View Post
    Thanks all, these are really helpful! Going for my restricted in a months time so I want to get into the habit now.

Vest - I may buy a cheapie vest to show enthusiasm.

Both feed down - can be a struggle on my bike as it's HUGE, but hopefully they can see I'm trying.
    I think looking stable and confidant is the key.

I didn't realise the Hyosung was that big, though I guess it's all persepective? My bike's seat is 70cm (79cm is the Hyosung GT250P) and it feels rather low, but I am 179cm (around 5'10"ish) so that may be part of it.
    There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those that do not.

Bike
    450EXC, V-Strom
    I went with the one foot down method as I'm a bit of a short arse and look ridiculous trying to tiptoe at intersections. When i asked the tester he said he was looking for control, not form.

Exaggerate your head turns.

Don't panic about having a wheel over the line if you need to to get clear visibility, that's more important than "toeing the line". The road code also states to stop where you have the visibility.

Don't waste your money on a vest if you're not going to wear it except for the test.

Practice remembering the hazard identification, I found remembering them the hardest part of the test as I usually evaluate then disregard them once the threat is gone.

Bike
    A black one
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiwi View Post
    I went with the one foot down method as I'm a bit of a short arse and look ridiculous trying to tiptoe at intersections. When i asked the tester he said he was looking for control, not form.

Exaggerate your head turns.

Don't panic about having a wheel over the line if you need to to get clear visibility, that's more important than "toeing the line". The road code also states to stop where you have the visibility.

Don't waste your money on a vest if you're not going to wear it except for the test.

Practice remembering the hazard identification, I found remembering them the hardest part of the test as I usually evaluate then disregard them once the threat is gone.
    Hazard identification of a restricted test? I'm not worried about doing them but might be a bit outta practice. I haven't heard anyone say they're in the restricted yet though.

I've got mine tomorrow morning. Was gonna go for a bit of a detour to practice some more u-turns and controlled riding after work. Might practice some hazard id'ing too.

Bike
    2015 R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiwi View Post

I didn't have to remember for very long at all. The instructor would say - Start looking for hazards - and within 60 seconds would get me to pull over and ask what I'd seen.

Bike
    450EXC, V-Strom

Thumbs up

Yeap, I did two separate hazard stops, just reel off everything vaguely threatening and you'll be right.

Bike
    A black one
    Had my test this morning at 8am at the AA in Manukau. Passed.

Got there around 7.40, few other people waiting with me there. At around 8am all the testers rocked up. They looked over my bike, indicators, lights, back and front brakes, no horn check. No one had keys to get inside the building so we went off without a radio. She just told me a few instructions, I rode the route she said, then pulled over for the next set.

I've attached a PDF of the route I took with little markers of where we pulled over.

Overall it was very easy, just general riding. Went through two stop signs and two roundabouts. No u-turn, no hazard identification. It was raining at the time so maybe she was easy on me.

I wore a reflective vest and a clear visor to add brownie points. I exaggerated my head checks, blipped my brakes a little whenever there were school children around/cars at intersections to show I was aware and ready to brake if needed.

So stoked to finally have my restricted. The look of my bike isn't totally ruined by an L anymore!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AA Manukau Restricted Route.pdf 
Views:	110 
Size:	236.5 KB 
ID:	277907

Bike
    450EXC, V-Strom
    Quote Originally Posted by f2dz View Post
    Had my test this morning at 8am at the AA in Manukau. Passed.

So stoked to finally have my restricted. The look of my bike isn't totally ruined by an L anymore!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AA Manukau Restricted Route.pdf 
Views:	110 
Size:	236.5 KB 
ID:	277907
    Woop woop!

Bike
    2009 Ninja 250

test @ Penrose AA

Got my restricted today at the AA Penrose (on Gt Sth Rd). I found it really helpful to read other peoples' experiences before I did my test, so figured I'd post mine.
    Start time: ~7am. Still kinda dark but clearing, traffic moderate but not heavy.
    I had a lot of trouble hearing the turning instructions through the junky walkie-talkie we were using.
    It was crackly and patchy, getting worse when the car was further behind my bike. Missed a few turns because I'd hear "left" or "straight" when the tester was really saying "right".

So then he started using his indicators, but that was still kinda hard to make out in my mirrors with his bright headlights.

What really helps the communication is if you flick your indicator on as soon as you get the direction (even if it's a bit early). That way if you've heard wrong they can correct you, or if they stay quiet you know you've got it right.

I asked about stop signs and he said one or two feet down didn't matter, as long as I had at least one so he knew I'd stopped. Didn't put it into neutral either, wasn't a problem.

Route:
    • Started up Great South, went down a sidestreet onto Main Hwy and then around streets of ellerslie a bit.
    • Then we pulled over and had a chat about the next section- intersection/hazard identification. Had to go through two intersections, first one a dog-leg over Ellerslie-Panmure Highway, second just a right turn onto a small street. After each intersection, pulled over and had to describe the moving hazards I saw. Traffic both ways, pedestrians, cyclists, etc (don't forget the instructor's car behind you! )
    • Then onto the motorway (starting to get a bit heavy, only got up to 80k) and off at SE Highway to come back through Penrose.
    • Only tricky bit was turning onto Rockfield Rd from Station Rd. You're turning right, but there's a give-way sign for the traffic turning left, so you have right of way. I knew this but I also know sometimes drivers don't pay attention and they were rolling through the give-way at speed. Road was pretty busy so I waited for a bit of a gap. Apparently I should have just gone as I had RoW.
    • Did two U-turns on Rockfield just up from the intersection. It's a wide-lane road with room for parks both sides and a median strip, so that was easy as. I'd been expecting to have to U-turn in a small residential street, so that's what I'd practiced on
    • After that, straight back to the AA.

Overall, easier than I was expecting, except for the communication being so hard. I wish they'd invest in some better radios.

I put the route into a google map here if anyone is curious.

Put a picture of it here (attaching the image in-post wasn't working for me, I guess cos it's a new account?)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ltyvrqqo.f35.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	142.8 KB 
ID:	280313  

Bike
    2008 S40 Boulevard
    Quote Originally Posted by RonnieG View Post
    Got my restricted today at the AA Penrose (on Gt Sth Rd). I found it really helpful to read other peoples' experiences before I did my test, so figured I'd post mine.
    Start time: ~7am. Still kinda dark but clearing, traffic moderate but not heavy.
    I had a lot of trouble hearing the turning instructions through the junky walkie-talkie we were using.
    It was crackly and patchy, getting worse when the car was further behind my bike. Missed a few turns because I'd hear "left" or "straight" when the tester was really saying "right".

So then he started using his indicators, but that was still kinda hard to make out in my mirrors with his bright headlights.

What really helps the communication is if you flick your indicator on as soon as you get the direction (even if it's a bit early). That way if you've heard wrong they can correct you, or if they stay quiet you know you've got it right.

I asked about stop signs and he said one or two feet down didn't matter, as long as I had at least one so he knew I'd stopped. Didn't put it into neutral either, wasn't a problem.

Overall, easier than I was expecting, except for the communication being so hard. I wish they'd invest in some better radios.
    Im looking at booking mine soon, cheers for the notes.,
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Connolly
    "The question is not, How far do we have to go?..............The question is, Do you have the constitution to go as far as is needed?".

Bike
    Ducati M696
    more good info added, I was slack and I only just booked mine for the 11th April, shame the forecast says it will be raining that day also no test till may at my local Penrose AA so I have to Manukau....

One thing I wanted to check is do you need an L on the front of the bike for the test? I just got one on the back. Seems most bikes just have it on the back.

Bike
    Just the back, for the test and for the road.

Bike
    A black one
    Quote Originally Posted by Larksea View Post
    more good info added, I was slack and I only just booked mine for the 11th April, shame the forecast says it will be raining that day also no test till may at my local Penrose AA so I have to Manukau....

One thing I wanted to check is do you need an L on the front of the bike for the test? I just got one on the back. Seems most bikes just have it on the back.
    Make sure it's well visible too, I've heard of people failing because their plate was slightly obstructed.

I changed the mounting for mine just before the test; put it just below my number plate.

Bike
    Ducati M696
    nailed it

I wish I could say it was a smooth process but man, it was rough as guts.

did the bike check with it just turned on but engine off then we chatted for a couple minutes and in that time my battery went flat! WTF!!!

Tried to push start in in 2nd while the tester was on his way to the car. no joy... then I tried in 1st gear and it worked, never had to push start a bike before.

big relief.

Then during the ride as I did a head check the ear piece fell out so I could hardly hear the tester. From then on I basically watched his indicators to see where to go.

We went round and round, up and down up the motorway and back all over the fricken place, I had no idea where I went and I dont know the area (manukau)

Then as I went to pull into AA at the end I stalled! He was trying to say something over the radio and it distracted me, she started up again no worries.

did 1 u turn during the test, no hazard identification.

I passed, but I had hoped it went a lot smoother........

Thread Information