Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hyosung cam chain tensioners

Bike
    Gn125

Hyosung cam chain tensioners

I've just received a letter from Hyosung New Zealand telling me that I should get the cam chain tensioner upgraded on the GT250R which I no longer own.
    The letter goes onto say that I should get this done as soon as possible to [I]avoid any serious engine failure and inconvenience.[/I

I imagine anyone who has ever purchased a GT250R brand new will or has received this letter as well.
    While you sit there liking things just cos' everyone else does, I'll be standing up here keeping it real.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    That's interesting.

I wonder if Hyosung will be willing to supply tensioners at a reasonable price or if they're going to be ridiculously expensive like most of their other parts.

Bike
    Gn125
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    That's interesting.

I wonder if Hyosung will be willing to supply tensioners at a reasonable price or if they're going to be ridiculously expensive like most of their other parts.
    I forgot to add that this will be done at no charge and only takes thirty minutes.
    While you sit there liking things just cos' everyone else does, I'll be standing up here keeping it real.

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    That's interesting.

We got the letter. Took the bikes to Undies. Tensioner swapped in one hour flat. Total cost to us - $0. Bike mechanic scratches his head and cant see any problem with the old one.

We too are a little surprised at the cost of Hyo parts. New tank, swingarm, dash (for example), are all around $1500 local retail.. each.. I can import them myself from RichardHyosung at about 1/3 of that... including freight. Some bits are cheap enough, indicator lenses and little things are cheaper locally.

Steve
    "I am a licenced motorcycle instructor, I agree with dangerousbastard, no point in repeating what he said."
    "read what Steve says. He's right."
    "What Steve said pretty much summed it up."
    "I did axactly as you said and it worked...!!"
    "Wow, Great advise there DB."
    WTB: Hyosung bikes or going or not.

Bike
    Black Thunder
    Yeah, we got the letter a month or so ago. Duly took the bikes in and the job was done at no cost to us, as it is a factory re-call.

Not all GT250R's are affected, but if you own one, then it is recommended you get in touch with your local dealer, as they have a list of the serial numbers of bikes which are affected.

Bike
    -
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaver View Post
    I forgot to add that this will be done at no charge and only takes thirty minutes.
    That's a pretty good time for swapping a camchain tensioner -- is that both cylinders?

Wonder what's so wrong with it. You don't hear of those Hyo 250 twins blowing up from camchains going, especially compared to some of Hondas best (the VT250s etc.).

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaver View Post
    Even if the bike has been on-sold to a new owner?

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    Quote Originally Posted by xwhatsit View Post
    That's a pretty good time for swapping a camchain tensioner -- is that both cylinders?
    Yes. They are very easy to work on.

Quote Originally Posted by xwhatsit View Post
    Wonder what's so wrong with it. You don't hear of those Hyo 250 twins blowing up from camchains going, especially compared to some of Hondas best (the VT250s etc.).
    Serious? I have heard of one GT250R engine going pop, that PROBABLY was camchain related.

Even if the bike has been on-sold to a new owner?
    Yes.

Steve
    "I am a licenced motorcycle instructor, I agree with dangerousbastard, no point in repeating what he said."

Bike
    MV Agusta Brutale 1090R 2015
    What year bikes have you got?
    I haven't seen a letter yet, and my bike is coming up due for a service soon.

Will follow up with the bike store.

Bike
    Black Thunder
    The letter specifically stated that if you were no longer the owner of the bike, then please pass this letter on to the new owner, as they will need to take it in for the replacement part at no cost.

Big ups to Hyosung!

Bike
    Gn125
    Quote Originally Posted by disenfranchised View Post
    What year bikes have you got?
    I haven't seen a letter yet, and my bike is coming up due for a service soon.

Will follow up with the bike store.
    Mine was an '07

Bike
    None at present
    How much are cam chains usually?
    What you have in your heart will be revealed through what you have in your life.

If things are going badly in our circumstances, the answer to what is happening to us outwardly is more often than not found in the mirror.

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkLord View Post
    How much are cam chains usually?
    Dunno. They are replacing just the tensioners, not the chains.

Steve

Bike
    06 scrambler,xrl,
    Blog Entries
    Done quite a few of these recall tensioners over the last year.
    Hyosung NZ need to be given a good rep for their handling of this.
    It only affects a set production/frame numbering system but letters have been sent to all owners so they can have their frame number checked against the list supplied to dealers.
    A few internal spiral springs in one or two tensioners failed, allowing the tensioner plunger to float a bit. In one extreme case, the cam chain jumped, and bent valves. Repairs were completed at no cost to the owner, except oil, and a small sundry charge.
    The chains are fine.
    Doing the front cylinder is easy, but care is needed on the the rear, as the chain easily jumps a tooth on the crank, as the old tensioner is pulled.
    Cam covers need to be removed to hold the chain up, so their is a bit of mucking around.
    If you own a GT/GV250. get your frame number cross referenced at dealers.
    Best time to get them replaced is at service time as the valve clearance check can be included while the covers are off. Saves your favourite w/shop a bit of lost time, as they only receive a small flat rate from the factory. (flat rate worked out by doing the tensioner job on an engine that is out of the frame, ie removing fairing/tank/moving wires, hoses, brackets etc are not included in the time allocation).

Bike
    -
    Quote Originally Posted by tri boy View Post
    Saves your favourite w/shop a bit of lost time, as they only receive a small flat rate from the factory. (flat rate worked out by doing the tensioner job on an engine that is out of the frame, ie removing fairing/tank/moving wires, hoses, brackets etc are not included in the time allocation).
    I always wondered what workshops get for these service bulletin-type jobs.

I'm waiting for this to turn into another piece of ammunition for the Hyosung-baiters. However if anything it seems like a positive point. Certainly handled very well and as I mentioned before, for a company like Hyosung where the 250 engines comprise the bulk of their motorcycle lineup (not including scooters -- do the GT125s sell in anywhere as high numbers overall), a camchain tensioner recall isn't too bad when you look at Honda or Yamaha over the years. Or Suzuki (service bulletin on cracking frames ).

Looks like a job well done then -- should've been designed right in the first place, but they got the rest of the engine right and dealt with the bug that did crop up.

Thread Information