Thread: Dunedin to Auckland on a CBR250RR

Bike
    1992 HONDA CBR250RR Movistar

Dunedin to Auckland on a CBR250RR

I began my ride on a blustery Dunedin afternoon hoping for the best. My bike, a CBR250RR had just had a good looking over and everything was good as can be so I was looking forwards to the ride and keen to get it under way. The weather wasn't great but it wasn't meant to get any better anyway so I thought no time like the present and I was off. Sure enough just as I ventured over the hills out of Dunedin it pored down, just enough to soak my gloves, loved it. this continued all the way until Oamaru, were after a pie and V the sun suddenly came out and treated my with beautiful weather all the way to Christchurch. This was much more like it, although it was a bit more difficult to keep my little ciby under the limit when faced with long stretching roads and a face full of sun shine. Finally arrived at my mates house were I was treated with a cold beer and a roast dinner, was feeling pretty happy with my ride. it was the longest I had ridden at the time but I am only on my learners.

Next morning and I was travelling from Christchurch to Picton and had NO idea what was in-store for me having never travelled along state highway 1. I can honestly say that from Kiakoura onwards was the most fun I have ever had on my bike, I have to admit that it was difficult to take in some of the scenery when faced with perfect sweeping "70km" corners that would then roll into tight left hand hear pins and scream through small tunnels. 12000 rpm sounds good in a tunnel. Stopped in on a hill top cafe for a bit of lunch in the sun and I was off cruising through to Picton travelling across equally as beautiful roads. The boat ride was long and crap due to the weather but was a good chance for a break. Through to Upper hut along some of the most dimly lit highways I have come across and I was at mate number two.

Day three and I leave Upper Hut via Akatarawa Road, it was nice to have some twisties so early in the morning, however these twisties soon turned into the most ridiculously tight roads I had ever come across, not ideal when you meet a ute that takes up 9/10s of the road but non the less good fun, I was also treated to some spectacular views once out of the bush Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG2897.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	183.2 KB 
ID:	273483. From hear on the ride proceeded smoothly until I reached the was museum in Ruapahue were all of a sudden I was unbelievably tyred. I had planned to carry on to Taupo but I think it was probably one my smartest moves of the trip to pull over have a big feed a power-ad and just rest. Desert road put on the worst conditions I have ever driven in with poring rain, wind, poor visibility and snow. Easily the most nervously cautious driving I have ever done. Up through Taupo and I was on the home stretch to Cambridge were I would stay the night and have the best shower of my life. At this point it felt like my shoulder blades were on fire, a CBR250RR is not exactly designed for touring. Finally a short trip from Cambridge to Auckland and I was a happy man.

Three and a half days, almost 1500km, rain, wind, sunshine and some of the best roads I have ever ridden.

Great trip

Bike
    Kate
    loved the write up, wrong spelling for right words and all Well done.
    Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people. --- Unknown sage

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    nice report, glad it went well for you!

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post
    nice report, glad it went well for you!
    Hey mate, cheers was a great ride. Im looking forwards to doing it again next year

Bike
    Had a 2007 Suzuki C50T Boulevard
    Quote Originally Posted by 0li123 View Post
    Hey mate, cheers was a great ride. Im looking forwards to doing it again next year
    I assume that first you must return to Dunedin?
    You don't get to be an old dog without learning a few tricks.
    Shorai Powersports batteries are very trick!

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Edbear View Post
    I assume that first you must return to Dunedin?
    yeah, should have mentioned that. I look forwards to doing in reverse next year

Thread Information