Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1987 GN250 cam chain/oil issues

Bike
    So old you won't care
    How often do you ride it...

I would change it every 1000km on one of them as it gets a hard time and check it before every ride.

Bike
    1987 Suzuki GN250
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    How often do you ride it...

I would change it every 1000km on one of them as it gets a hard time and check it before every ride.
    I check it before every ride.
    I keep getting different opinions from different people about how often to change it so I'm confused.
    The service manual says change it every 5000 km.
    Wellington Motorcycles said between 3000-4000 km.
    You've said every 1000 km? Why would it need to be that frequent it the service manual hasn't said so?
    "If you think you can do it, or think you can't do it, you're right." - Henry T Ford

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Every 5000km is fine to change it
    It takes 1.3l of oil and runs a very common and cheap filter

Rattles, they're a wee bit ticky being an air cooled single with tappets
    Cam chains do wear
    Cams will wear and so will rockers

If it gets horribly loud I may be able to help, valve clearances are piss easy to do (30min comfortably) I have a new cam chain, cam and rockers (I think I have two new cams...) and can fit them

For what it's worth, my last GN motor let go after having a horrid rattle, which turned out to be the bottom end bearings going, which led to crank float and valve-piston action. Not a common thing though probably something to do with the "hot" motor it had
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Quote Originally Posted by GDOBSSOR View Post
    I check it before every ride.
    I keep getting different opinions from different people about how often to change it so I'm confused.
    The service manual says change it every 5000 km.
    Wellington Motorcycles said between 3000-4000 km.
    You've said every 1000 km? Why would it need to be that frequent it the service manual hasn't said so?
    There is a trend for manufacturers to push out service intervals to the extreme limits. IMHO they are often very very optimistic or have access to super oil. The factory are assuming the dealer will do it so its a costly exercise and off putting to some owners. I was brought up by a mechanic whos motto was oil and petrol are the cheapest things you will ever put into a vehicle.

You asked how often 'I' would change the oil and I said I would change it every 1000km BUT I would do it myself and I might modify that opinion if I noticed that the oil was still clean and good at 1000km.

I change the oil in my ancient Triumph at about 1500km and its usually well ready for a change by then but it runs a good filter and holds 3litres.

Your bike may have an issue or two so I would change it more regularly than if it was new. As the engine wears its likely to pollute the oil a bit more hence the 1000km suggestion. End of the day its your bike and you can change it whenever you like or never if that suits too - its not bothering me a jot.

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    There is a trend for manufacturers to push out service intervals to the extreme limits. IMHO they are often very very optimistic or have access to super oil. The factory are assuming the dealer will do it so its a costly exercise and off putting to some owners. I was brought up by a mechanic whos motto was oil and petrol are the cheapest things you will ever put into a vehicle.

You asked how often 'I' would change the oil and I said I would change it every 1000km BUT I would do it myself and I might modify that opinion if I noticed that the oil was still clean and good at 1000km.

I change the oil in my ancient Triumph at about 1500km and its usually well ready for a change by then but it runs a good filter and holds 3litres.

Your bike may have an issue or two so I would change it more regularly than if it was new. As the engine wears its likely to pollute the oil a bit more hence the 1000km suggestion. End of the day its your bike and you can change it whenever you like or never if that suits too - its not bothering me a jot.
    Brown oil isn't such a problem, it's just the detergenty things in it working and holding carbon. Oil that looses it's viscous and lube properties is the worry. I'd be very interested to see somebody getting theirs analysed at 1500km, 3000km and 5000km and see what's actually happening.
    You're right though, regular oil changes are good and on a GN it's still cheap as chips (I run Motul 3100 or whatever that mineral oil is called, always had good luck with Motul)

If your GN is like my original motor, it'll use so much oil you'll always have clean stuff in it
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    .. If your GN is like my original motor, it'll use so much oil you'll always have clean stuff in it
    In 5000 km's ... it's probably "used" a liter of oil ... it doesn't stay in the motor long enough to get dirty ...

I once did a Chatto Creek 1000 mile rally (1635 km's) ... it used 8 liters of oil ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    In 5000 km's ... it's probably "used" a liter of oil ... it doesn't stay in the motor long enough to get dirty ...

I once did a Chatto Creek 1000 mile rally (1635 km's) ... it used 8 liters of oil ...
    Mine was managing around 1L/100km

Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Thread Information