Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 80-81 Suzuki GSX1100T-ET-EX wire wheel racing history. Does anyone actually know?

Bike
    Various things
    I think you'll find they're simply GSX's built here in NZ to skirt around the production racing rules of the time.

Bike
    Suzuki RG400 Yamaha ST125 Yamaha TDR250
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    I think you'll find they're simply GSX's built here in NZ to skirt around the production racing rules of the time.
    you might know the right person to ask about that one then
    "more than two strokes is masturbation"
    www.motoparts-online.com

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by gammaguy View Post
    As Barry etc has mentioned. The Coleman boys be the ones to ask I would imagine. I can only tell you about the bikes we built for the same purposes.

Bike
    1989ZXR400,GSX1100 & PW50
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    I have Carls number if required.
    I also have a bit of stuff for GSX1100's mainly road parts that were not needed in the building of a couple of race bikes.
    Mmm so what bits have you got, I am always looking
    "The road to Hell is really grippy with loads of run off & some wicked lefthanders"

Bike
    1989ZXR400,GSX1100 & PW50
    Quote Originally Posted by gammaguy View Post
    Funny, the carbs I have on my bike were off a hotrod Katana Robert raced & was set up for methanol,what a mission getting them back for petrol use,manufacturing slides & needles, they had been sitting around at Wellington motorcycles for over 25 years & yes I spoke in some detail with the man you are talking about
    "The road to Hell is really grippy with loads of run off & some wicked lefthanders"

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by bistard View Post
    Mmm so what bits have you got, I am always looking
    Two of most things like guards, instruments, headlght surrounds, lights, regulator rectifier, blinkers, alloy wheels, footpegs.
    Ive done one Katana 1100 race bike too, but have a road one also that I bought in '84, so what im not keeping for that one, Carl C has first dibs on.
    Nothing that a race bike uses that could get broken in a tumble is for sale.

Bike
    Various
    Quote Originally Posted by roogazza View Post
    As far as the NZ Black pipers, I thought they were a NZ thingy. Australians may have sourced wire wheels though.

Aussies were into their Hondas and it wasn't until Dave Hissy went across to Bathurst and kicked their arses that they thought "hey these things are great". ( I don't even think he was on a black piper either ?) His exact words to me after that race was, "It's just like the Tukas mate, easy !)

I hope to catch up with him at Xmas. I'll ask.
    Surfing youtube the other night I came across Hissy winning in 81. Whole doco's well worth a watch, but heres a link to the unlimited race part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIbovqY_71c

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by bistard View Post
    Funny, the carbs I have on my bike were off a hotrod Katana Robert raced & was set up for methanol,what a mission getting them back for petrol use,manufacturing slides & needles, they had been sitting around at Wellington motorcycles for over 25 years & yes I spoke in some detail with the man you are talking about
    I've got the 18 X 4 Dymag that was swapped in with a slick to convert the GSX's and Katanas from Senior Production to F1.

Bought off Robert personally.

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcktfsh View Post
    Surfing youtube the other night I came across Hissy winning in 81. Whole doco's well worth a watch, but heres a link to the unlimited race part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIbovqY_71c
    Thanks Rcktfsh, must say I quite enjoy the stock sounds of that era. Looked like the Suzuki had good legs on the CB900s down conrod.
    What about the commentary in laid back style ? Hard to believe it's over 30years ago.

Bike
    I sold it
    Hard to believe it's over 30years ago.

30 years ago is a lifetime for us young fellas , it must be just a blurry memory for old blokes like yaself mate.

Bike
    Various
    Thanks Rcktfsh, must say I quite enjoy the stock sounds of that era. Looked like the Suzuki had good legs on the CB900s down conrod.
    What about the commentary in laid back style ? Hard to believe it's over 30years ago.
    Think the commentary is a result of the Aussie version of the old NZ Broadcasting School style of journalism, even the Aussies could be taught to speak proper like. Stretching the bounds of the topic but heres another goody I stumbled across Scotty (pretty sure he must have ridden a wire wheeler though it may have been a Katana) on a VFR in British Superstock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGwH9mAh9ws

Bike
    BMW MEGAMOTO
    Great videos on you tube.
    Seems that Aussie wire wheel models were just standard bikes and wire wheels for supposedly for better tire choice less unsprung weight for better turn in etc ....They were available as an option so I guess they just bought in a certain amount with wire wheels and the buying public had what was left over from the various race teams that choose them.Every one of them are called a "6 hour specials" or "Bathurst specials" here in OZ regardless of actual race use and if they have wire wheels they are more desirable and pricey than mag wheel models.Suit's me as I own 2 wire wheel models but reality is plenty of standard mag wheel bikes were raced in the same races so the specialness of the wire wheels model is not really justified. The NZ "black pipe" bikes are really special because they have go fast parts as well as wire wheels.

Here is the full article .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-12-05 08.57.39.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	571.2 KB 
ID:	274238  

Bike
    Enfield cr250r
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by roadracingoldfart View Post
    30 years ago is a lifetime for us young fellas , it must be just a blurry memory for old blokes like yaself mate.
    I may have even been there, ..but all of those names
    And Burnett and hewen now on BBC
    While i never met Trevor nation I did meet Steve spray later at Oxford products. Ducati
    Oh boy that bid bought back memories ,,,,I still have a few photos somewhere
    Stephen
    "Look, Madame, where we live, look how we live ... look at the life we have...The Republic has forgotten us."

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Quote Originally Posted by roadracingoldfart View Post
    Thanks Paul,do you recall your mum mentioning an 'Uncle Gaz' when you were young ? LOL.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by tubehead View Post
    Here is the full article .
    "Australia's top riders.....Neville and Dave Hitchcock need no further introduction".

The author probably should have rethunk that one.

Thread Information