Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 80-81 Suzuki GSX1100T-ET-EX wire wheel racing history. Does anyone actually know?

Bike
    BMW MEGAMOTO
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    "Australia's top riders.....Neville and Dave Hitchcock need no further introduction".

The author probably should have rethunk that one.
    S.O.P
    If a kiwi is talented and good at anything in regard to motorsport or music then they are automatically Australians all other Kiwis remain Kiwis regardless of the time spent living in Australia or citizenship status.
    The only exception to this rule is if the talented and instantly adopted Australians do something dodgy then they immediately revert to being just Kiwis again.
    This is a long standing tradition.

This makes good sense when considered on a per head of population ratio Talented Australians are very rare.

Quote Robert Muldoon:
    "Every time a kiwi leaves NZ to reside permanently in Australia the average IQ of both countries are raised"

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    Quote Originally Posted by roogazza View Post
    Thanks Paul,do you recall your mum mentioning an 'Uncle Gaz' when you were young ? LOL.
    Oh, so that's why Paul turned out to be a racer too!
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    I sold it
    Quote Originally Posted by roogazza View Post
    Thanks Paul,do you recall your mum mentioning an 'Uncle Gaz' when you were young ? LOL.

Hahahaha there was this one time ..... at band camp. Hi Uncle Gazza.

Bike
    1981 gsx 1100 black piper

Thumbs up Seats

do you have any seats for gsx 1100 year 1981?

Bike
    cars now, retired from bikes

black piper wire wheelers

As I know it there was wire wheel models in both NZ and Australia 1982 - I have seen one in Cairns where I live and will make him an offer if I see it again.
    In new Zealand it was called a black piper and came with a few modifications. This version was a production racer as they had to make so many models (don't know how many 200-300 perhaps)
    The NZ version was called a black piper - It had a 19 litre tank not 21 litre because the carbies were bigger and in a different place, also a metal swingarm like the 750 not the aluminium swingarm like the rest of the 1100's, wire wheels, stage 2 cams, and black pipes. I owned one that had allegedly been raced in south africa and brought back to NZ. I bought it as a wreck and rebuilt it ground up like new.
    Thats about as much as I remember except it was fast, in 1985 I wound it out to over 245k and that was enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by tubehead View Post
    I have restored 2 of these and have owned 6 other mag wheel models over the past 5 years.I currently have 2 an 80 ET(to be restored as soon as it arrives from Qld) and 81 EX mag wheels .
    When I first restored the 79 T model I new it was a genuine wire wheel model because I bought it off the original owner and the VIN:GS110X100214 showed it to be in the first 300 bikes to be produced according the haynes manual.The current 1980 ET has wire wheels but I have no way of proving it came with factory wire wheels.

Here are my actual questions:

1.Did the First Castrol 6 hour wire wheel models come that way special order from the factory or where they a general sale option ?

2.When did the wire wheel option finish?

I have a article from Two Wheels September 1981 showing Neville Hiscock and Allan Hale sitting on 81 EX Models both with wire wheels.When I rang Mick Hone here in Melbourne and asked about EX wire wheel models I was told there was never any such model as wire wheel EXs in Australia.

Any accurate information would be appreciated as there is all sorts of myths and BS floating around about "BATHURST SPECIALS " and anything with wire wheels is an ex factory racer>

Bike
    cars now, retired from bikes

steel swingarm like the 750 not the normal Aluminium the other GSX1100 had

The black piper also had the steel swingarm like the gsx750 not the normal Aluminium the other GSX1100 had
    Tank was 19 litre
    TimK

Quote Originally Posted by bistard View Post
    I have a 1981 GSX1100 black pipe wire wheel (replica)in my garage,it has the correct wire wheels, black pipes,carbs cams, modified petrol tank etc from an original,if you want correct information on the NZ
    bikes, you need to get a hold of Carl Coleman, who lives in Taupo
    He being a Coleman, was working for Suzuki back then
    Spyda, the outer exhaust pipes were black, as there are a larger diameter outlet than the standard NZ chrome ones, but they retained the two chrome centre pipes, as they were no different in size

Bike
    1989ZXR400,GSX1100 & PW50
    Quote Originally Posted by Timbok View Post
    The black piper also had the steel swingarm like the gsx750 not the normal Aluminium the other GSX1100 had
    Tank was 19 litre
    TimK
    Hey Tim, my understanding was that not all of them had the steel 750 swing arm!!
    Regards
    Barry
    "The road to Hell is really grippy with loads of run off & some wicked lefthanders"

Bike
    Yo momma
    Among other things the Black Piper head had longer cooling fins. The vertical ones on top of the head around the spark plug holes.

Bike
    77 XL250
    My X model blackie had the steel swingarm. Never looked at what others had though - never saw many of the around except on the track.
    The longer head fins I never heard of before. No surprise really. Hard facts on them seemed non-existent.
    The best way to forget all your troubles is to wear tight underpants.

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadpole View Post
    The longer head fins I never heard of before. No surprise really. Hard facts on them seemed non-existent.
    You really need to see the Piper head and non Piper head side by side to see that difference and if it wasn't pointed out it is easily missed.

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonu View Post
    You really need to see the Piper head and non Piper head side by side to see that difference and if it wasn't pointed out it is easily missed.
    There is 18 & 19 bolt cylinder heads (tappett cover bolts), I understand the 19 bolt has the longer fins. Not peculiar to black piper. Is that correct?

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    There is 18 & 19 bolt cylinder heads (tappett cover bolts), I understand the 19 bolt has the longer fins. Not peculiar to black piper. Is that correct?
    Sorry I cannot confirm or deny that one. It is a bloody long time since I looked at one. Is it possible the fins I am thinking of are part of the head casting around each of the spark plug holes and not part of the tappet covers.

Bike
    motocompo
    Sorry I cannot confirm or deny that one. It is a bloody long time since I looked at one. Is it possible the fins I am thinking of are part of the head casting around each of the spark plug holes and not part of the tappet covers.
    Yes, I'm referring to the heads.
    I have a 19 hole currently off the bike that has huge long fins by the plugs, but the 18 hole on the race bike has stubby little ones. Neither are off anything that started life with black pipes or wire wheels, but one may be off a Katana.

Bike
    suzuki
    sidecar bob is right, it's one is an earlier model than the other.The GSX and Katana engine weren't any differnt for the base models, same donk in both models at he same time

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    sidecar bob is right, it's one is an earlier model than the other.The GSX and Katana engine weren't any differnt for the base models, same donk in both models at he same time
    Well that ruined that (my) theory...

Thread Information