Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 80-81 Suzuki GSX1100T-ET-EX wire wheel racing history. Does anyone actually know?

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by rorym View Post
    .Dont want to throw my hard earned away..
    Oops, thought you were interested in motorcycles; didn't realise you're only interested in the money side of it...

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    Oops, thought you were interested in motorcycles; didn't realise you're only interested in the money side of it...
    Dude - be fair - it matters... You can 'justify' a bigger spend if you think the bikes a bit special.... (unless of course you are me and have simply lost your heart to an old nail)

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Dude - be fair - it matters... You can 'justify' a bigger spend if you think the bikes a bit special.... (unless of course you are me and have simply lost your heart to an old nail)
    yip, just fishing, he did explain his background and while it was his job back then it's great to see he's still maintains an interest

Bike
    1981 GSX1100
    Much research and talking to other owners shows the 300 units stamped 100xxx batch have VINs dated from Sept 79 to May 81.. over 2 model runs... so they was indeed EX models with wire wheels... I assumed they were all done in one batch over 2 months like the CB1100Rs...the comment at the top of the page doesnt warrant a reply.

Bike
    1989ZXR400,GSX1100 & PW50
    It sounds like the Ozzie ones were quite different, Kiwi ones had cams, carbs, heavy duty clutch, fuel tank was modified as new carbs were taller, the centre header section was still chrome, the outer headers & mufflers were black & had a 32 mil outlet, standard chrome pipes were 28 mil
    "The road to Hell is really grippy with loads of run off & some wicked lefthanders"

Bike
    1981 GSX1100
    Yeah your supp regs for Proddy racing had a requirement for 20 identical bikes..ours was 200...

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by rorym View Post
    Yeah your supp regs for Proddy racing had a requirement for 20 identical bikes..ours was 200...
    Ended up being only ten needed too.

Bike
    1981 GSX1100
    Hence the statement at the 6 Hour rider briefing....If this lasts any longer Suzuki will release a new model?...Lol..

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    Ended up being only ten needed too.
    pretty sure it was more than that Pete in that era, hence them making 25 black pipers, remembering that in about 81/2 was the biggest m/c sales in nz history

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    I believe there were 6 of the ET model and 20 of the following year's EX model.

(Followed by 20 of the next year's SXZ Katana).

Bike
    Various things
    pretty sure it was more than that Pete in that era, hence them making 25 black pipers, remembering that in about 81/2 was the biggest m/c sales in nz history
    You missed what I was saying Spyda. When I said it ended up being only ten needed, I was referring to when we made the KR1SP's. We only had to build ten of them to homologate them.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    You missed what I was saying Spyda. When I said it ended up being only ten needed, I was referring to when we made the KR1SP's. We only had to build ten of them to homologate them.
    i was pretty sure you were refering those kawis, and that era, but that was bit later when things had slowed down a lot sales wise and homologation numbers were lower, about that time simon crafar won the 600 proddie class only to find out his bike hadn't been homologated....

in later years it's become less than ten too Pete

Bike
    Various things

in later years it's become less than ten too Pete
    Lol. Pretty sure you've only ever need one at times anyway. If you know what I mean!

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post

It's damm difficult to be sure about the numbers as there were also kits offered. I understand that some "authorities" deny this but the two guys down here racing 1100's at the time have both confirmed to me that they were offered "upgrade kits" consisting of pipes,cams and carbs.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post

from the often changeable ramblings of your friend coleman

3) Your GSX1100 with frame number GS110X-100290. I assume the bike was
    previously owned by Dan in Christchurch. Whilst the frame number is low, I
    cannot confirm it as one of the 5 units GSX1100T produced for the 1980
    Castrol 6-Hour. The frame number is not on the list of numbers I hold for
    any of the Castrol 6-Hour models. As evidenced, the frame number 100290 is
    much higher than the bike (Fr:100228) you purchased in 1980.

but, word has it that one was written off from Robbie Dean motorcycles and they hastily had to produce another....

you going to the NZSBK meet at Taupo in a couple of weeks Steve? if so pop in and have a chat, you'll know where to find me.

Thread Information