Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TradeMe scooters

Bike
    None Yet

TradeMe scooters

Hello all,
    I am about to buy a scooter for commuting to work (up and down Symonds Street, AKL CBD). I have absolutely no idea about scooters, and therefore my information is coming from forums like this one.
    Since I do not want to spend too much, I have narrowed my choices down to the following:
    - Vmoto Milan, although I do not like it that it is only for 1 person. Design is cool, and Vmoto sales person at Great North Road was very nice as well
    - Euro-Rider: cheap, Bruce at Wottoons was great and ran me through the entire Euro-Rider advantages. I have to admit that I am not too keen on the design though. I like the retro look.
    - Capri LX: Unfortunately not much information on the scooter, except the information on the website. Any experience with NZ Motor Factory, especially the Panmure outlet? A friend of mine has the Forza Ciclone ($999.00) and he is quite happy with it. The price seems to be right, considering that they have a 12 months warranty anyway. The Capri LX is at the moment on top of my list.
    - Solana Scooter: The cheapest one on Trade Me, but I have no idea where they are actually sold.
    - Euro-Rider Maple: much more than the classic Euro Rider, but seems to be quite a good scooter
    - Keeway Milan: seems to me like a one on one copy of the Vmoto, so I guess it is better to go for the Vmoto.

I am happy to take any advice. I will only buy a 50cc due to licence requirements, however, I am a little bit unsecure when it comes to 2 or 4 stroke, brands, support, warranty. At this stage I have most confidence with Woottons and I don't have the feeling they rip off people.

Looking forward to some comments.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Make the effort and get a learners license ... it opens up a vast range of two wheeled vehicles to choose from. It WILL be easier on your wallet in the long run.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    S1000RR
    No offence but if you actually somehow buy one of those lemon Chinese scooters, you deserve every mechanical faults you'll get.

Stay away from cheap nameless Chinese shitmobiles. Get something known like Suzuki SJ50 or a Yamaha Jog (good scooter).

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    My advice is go with a second hand trusted brand over a newer cheapy brand. Unless the newer one has a comprehensive warranty, I can't see any benefit of buying new.
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    None Yet
    Quote Originally Posted by EJK View Post
    No offence but if you actually somehow buy one of those lemon Chinese scooters, you deserve every mechanical faults you'll get.

Stay away from cheap nameless Chinese shitmobiles. Get something known like Suzuki SJ50 or a Yamaha Jog (good scooter).
    Thanks for the advice, however, as per my understanding the Yamaha Jog is not available in NZ anymore. Only 2nd hand bikes available, where I could land up buying the real lemon, as I don't have much of scooter knowledge and will probably pay way too much.

The only new Suzuki that I see is the UZ50D. Well, there is a price difference of about $900 to the Capri LX - that's quite a bit of money. Not sure if the Chinese scooters will require spare parts that quickly...

The Euro Rider from Woottons seems to be very popular and I have not found any negative comments about any of the "cheap" scooters mentioned in my original post. Having said that, I also have not found that many comments anyway.

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Mopler View Post
    ....The Capri LX is at the moment on top of my list.
    I visited their website to see what other products they supply. Unfortunately all their other products are of dubious quality, so I'm not sure I'd trust them on any products.

On the Capri LX they say:

European-derived design

Japanese 4 Stroke clone engine

European design, Taiwanese standard quality controlled bikes
    Nothing there inspires confidence. If they were proud of their own quality they wouldn't need to claim to be cloning someone else's.
    Time to ride

Bike
    raptor 1000
    . Not sure if the Chinese scooters will require spare parts that quickly...
    dont count on it

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    ...and I have not found any negative comments about any of the "cheap" scooters mentioned in my original post. Having said that, I also have not found that many comments anyway.
    Maybe you should ask GDOBSSOR about that.
    Time to ride

Bike
    2015 HD Street 500
    The Keeway is actually a euro scooter, yes a copy of the Vmoto, and yes the factory is in china. but they are not the crap some will tell you they are. Cheaper than the name brand they are a copy of, not really much resale property, but will go just as long as anything else for the price. Oh B TW Keeway's parent company Benelli makes good scooters too.
    To be old and wise, first you must be young and stupid.

Bike
    None Yet
    Thanks for the replies so far. I can see that there is really not a lot of confidence in the cheap scooters. Sad, because I was hoping to find a cheap alternative for my car/ public transport.
    Happy to hear that at least Vmoto seems to be quite OK.
    All scooters that I have had a look at would have a 12 months warranty. I thought that this would be a sign of confidence...

Bike
    PopTart Katoona
    Blog Entries
    Do you require a scooter? Because the TR50 is a much better bike. Goes faster and handles better.
    Reactor Online. Sensors Online. Weapons Online. All Systems Nominal.

Bike
    SV1000, RG500, RD350
    Despite having bigger bikes, I use a 50 for commuting, as it is cheap, disposable and costs $8 per week.

Buy something you can get parts support for, and from more than one source preferably. It alse helps if there is a good international community, so if al else fails, you can import parts or get advice. Whatever you get, make sure it is derestricted - being limited to <50kph is dangerous. Plan on getting a top box (I have a huge one from Trademe - takes a laptop case easily), as they are invaluable when commuting.

The common recommendation is a Yamaha Jog, unfortunately Yamaha don't import them any more.
    I had a Hyosung "fast 50" (aka Prima), which is mechanically the same as the Rally. Good machine, it was reliable, and did 60kmh+ once you removed the black wire from the CDI, although the headlights on this model were like 2 glow worms in a jar. It got totalled by car, and I cheaped out and replaced it with a second hand Keeway Flash. While probably one of the better Chinese scooters, this is a pretty low bar. While it was a good buy at $800 second hand, I woudln't buy another one. It has had a few niggly problems, and most importantly - it is really, really slow, and the restriction seems to be built into the motor. Most Chinese scooters are rubbish, have no parts or repair support and zero tradein or resale value.

The Keeway and Vmoto are the same - Keeway is the euro brand for QuainJain (sp) in China, and Vmoto is an Aussie based importer/ rebadger.

I would consider an Adly from Scootling. I tried one out, and it seems like a good machine, go well and at least they have some support.

While it is getting on a bit, have a look at http://www.thescooterreview.com/reviews/scooter-reviews
    I would generally agree with their ratings.
    (\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <) Peace through superior firepower...
    Build your own dyno - PM me for the link of if you want to use it (bring beer)

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    All scooters that I have had a look at would have a 12 months warranty. I thought that this would be a sign of confidence...
    Depends on the conditions of the warranty, you'll want to check that very closely. And going through a local store instead of trademe (which you might be planning on doing anyway? its not very clear) will give you a better chance of getting backup/warranty service I would think.
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    None Yet
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    And going through a local store instead of trademe (which you might be planning on doing anyway? its not very clear) will give you a better chance of getting backup/warranty service I would think.
    That would be a very strong reason to buy a Euro-Rider at Wootton. I was there a few days ago and I really had a very good feeling. Their warehouse is full of spare parts and the service seems to be great.

The Suzuki TR50 looks indeed great and I believe that it may be "better" than a scooter, but it looks like they don't sell them as new either (like the Yamaha Jog). So I would run again the risk of buying a lemon (with my knowledge)

Bike
    SuperScooter 2010
    Consider a Honda Today 50 scooter. More expensive than a Eurorider/Capri etc etc but extremely reliable, VERY cheap to run (4 stroke) and lots of them about. Less zippy than a 2 stroke scooter but OK for short inner city commutes.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-286581065.htm

Thread Information