Thread: FXR150 oil change

Bike
    1987 Suzuki GN250

FXR150 oil change

Hi there. My friend's had an FXR150 and while he's topped it up with oil periodically, he hasn't done an oil change for a year. He wants to know how to do it on his bike. Can anyone help him?
    "If you think you can do it, or think you can't do it, you're right." - Henry T Ford

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GDOBSSOR View Post
    Hi there. My friend's had an FXR150 and while he's topped it up with oil periodically, he hasn't done an oil change for a year. He wants to know how to do it on his bike. Can anyone help him?
    YOU help him ...

1. Find out how much oil it will take to fill from empty. Plus a bit that will be needed to fill the new oil filter as well. And tell him to get it.

2. Find out what oil filter it uses ... and tell him to get one.

3. Find out what tools will be required to do the job ... and make sure he has them.

3. Find out where the new oil filter goes and how to get the old one out. (and new one in)

4. Find out where the drain plug is. (and which direction to turn it to undo it)

5. Find something to catch the old oil in. (the front lawn grass is not ideal disposal)

6. Find a time suitable to you both.

7. DO IT ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    half litre street beater
    You might find this useful:

http://fxr1.orcon.net.nz/manual.zip

'Tis the owners manual. Print that bitch out and keep it for future reference.
    Oil change procedure is on page 38.

All of FJRiders advice is very good, also when removing the sump drain plug and changing the oil filter, check that all the proper o-rings, oil filter spring, washers etc. are present. On small, cheap bikes that have a lot of owners and don't get regular maintenance those bits go walkies every now and then. If any are missing, replace them.

The screw-in oil filler cap might say what weight of oil to use. I would wager it takes 10w40. It'll be in that manual anyway.

And be careful about removing and reinstalling the sump drain plug. A cross-threaded or stripped sump is a major pain in the ass. Righty-tighty, lefty-loosey, put the screw in with your fingers first to make sure it's not cross-threading and then start spinning that spanner.
    You want some advice - lightning strikes once, it does not strike twice!

Bike
    I just lost count
    For all FXR specific advise I would recommend www.fxr150.co.nz

For the record Qkkid was in my bed, not the other way round

Quote Originally Posted by Yow Ling View Post
    Pumba is a wise man.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GSF View Post
    You might find this useful:

http://fxr1.orcon.net.nz/manual.zip

'Tis the owners manual. Print that bitch out and keep it for future reference.
    Oil change procedure is on page 38.

All of FJRiders advice is very good, also when removing the sump drain plug and changing the oil filter, check that all the proper o-rings, oil filter spring, washers etc. are present. On small, cheap bikes that have a lot of owners and don't get regular maintenance those bits go walkies every now and then. If any are missing, replace them.

The screw-in oil filler cap might say what weight of oil to use. I would wager it takes 10w40. It'll be in that manual anyway.

And be careful about removing and reinstalling the sump drain plug. A cross-threaded or stripped sump is a major pain in the ass. Righty-tighty, lefty-loosey, put the screw in with your fingers first to make sure it's not cross-threading and then start spinning that spanner.
    And run the bike before you undo the sump plug. Not long enough to heat anything up you might touch and burn you. But .. warm oil leaves the engine easier/quicker.

And it will most likely say on/in the engine casting how much oil it takes.

O-rings and seal .. if they LOOK damaged (or suspect) replace them. Usually an O-ring/seal comes with the filter. Depending on bike models of course.

After dropping the oil out ... let it settle in the oil catcher for a few minutes ... and then check for metal filings in the bottom. (stick your fingers in it ... its fun ... really)
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1987 Suzuki GN250
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    YOU help him ...

4. Find out where the drain plug is. (and which direction to turn it to undo it)
    I was wondering if anyone could help with that one, and if anyone knew where the oil filter went in. I lay underneath his bike and located a bolt which I thought might be the drain plug but wasn't entirely sure.
    "If you think you can do it, or think you can't do it, you're right." - Henry T Ford

Bike
    half litre street beater
    Quote Originally Posted by GDOBSSOR View Post
    I was wondering if anyone could help with that one, and if anyone knew where the oil filter went in. I lay underneath his bike and located a bolt which I thought might be the drain plug but wasn't entirely sure.
    If you hit that link and download the manual, there are step by step instructions with photos showing you where everything is located for an oil change. I've had that link saved from ages ago 'cause my brother had one, which is what I learnt to ride on. Fun bike until it got eaten by a Nissan!

The sump plug will be next to the frame tube that runs along the bottom of the engine. The sump is gonna be the part of the engine that is lowest/closest to the ground, because the oil collects there due to gravity when the engine isn't running. Sump plugs are usually pretty big. For example the one on the Bandit is 17mm.

To find the oil filter cover, it's to the right of the oil sight glass on the right-hand side of the engine. It's a circular cover with three screws forming a triangle.

Bike
    half litre street beater
    Also; Cybermatic Sports Cruiser lols.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fxr150-cybermatic-sports.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	274422

Thread Information