Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice & pointers for a new gurl

Bike
    2008, GSR600K
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwaka-Kid
    sounds like a great plan, dunno about how much help the AA are tho, i bet the numbers of 3 odd shift working KB'ers would do a better job at being able to get to you promptly, and even better at working on the bike... but anyway, you have a CB250, is it an RS or a twin? if its the RS then your set! nothing major can go wrong, even if you know nothing just take a prod at it or a little bang with your fist and it will settle her down -i still have many spares for the CB250RS if ever your in need.. most of it has chain drilled holes thru it tho!
    Ok much to my I'm not sure if it is an RS or twin and I don't even know what either of those are!
    My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Sea_lily
    Ok much to my I'm not sure if it is an RS or twin and I don't even know what either of those are!
    How many exhaust pipes do you have coming out of your engine? or even easier what does the registration say it is?

Twin refers to the number of cylinders it has.
    I may be wrong but I think the Rs's are a four cylinder bike with slightly higher quality bits. fours normally have a slightly wider frame making them more suitable for open road type riding. Twins are normally narrower making them more fun for commuting and for twisty roads (twisties). Twins are normally lighter making them good beginner bikes.

Bike
    Old Blue, Little blue
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog
    How many exhaust pipes do you have coming out of your engine? or even easier what does the registration say it is?

Twin refers to the number of cylinders it has.
    I may be wrong but I think the Rs's are a four cylinder bike with slightly higher quality bits. fours normally have a slightly wider frame making them more suitable for open road type riding. Twins are normally narrower making them more fun for commuting and for twisty roads (twisties). Twins are normally lighter making them good beginner bikes.
    The RS is a single.
    - like so
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Barney.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	133.3 KB 
ID:	769  
    “- He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.”

Bike
    RF900

If you are going to hamilton (Jewel of the Waikato) and its early Feb then why not do another 100klms and go to the Classic bike meet at Pukekohe raceway when is that? first weekend in Feb 7th-8th I guess heaps of bike and races and stalls and stuff and Beer and stuff a great day out. usually cost like $20 to get in and its worth the effort.
    ill be wearing a red carnation and will go by the name of Bob.
    Did I mention the Beer?
    Your never to old for a sportsbike

Bike
    Yamama R6 & Frankie the Bucket
    OK...Here's my suggestion.

Don't stick to the learners speed limit of 70kph, if you feel comfortable do 100Kph. I believe that it's more dangerous to do 70 on the open road than it is to do 100 and my logic behind that is simple...other motorists will assume that you're doing 100 and may misjudge their movements.
    Oh, and if you choose to follow this advise, get rid of the L plate. Otherwise you're advertising the fact that you're speeding.

I remember the first time I rode from Wellington to Palmerston North, I slept very well that night!!!

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by SPman
    The RS is a single.
    - like so
    Ah so! I told you I may be wrong! :disapint:

But ah well it prompted someone to give you the right information.

Bike
    2008, GSR600K
    Quote Originally Posted by SPman
    The RS is a single.
    - like so
    That looks like my bike - just not such a wicked paint job

Bike
    2008, GSR600K
    Quote Originally Posted by Slingshot
    OK...Here's my suggestion.

Don't stick to the learners speed limit of 70kph, if you feel comfortable do 100Kph. I believe that it's more dangerous to do 70 on the open road than it is to do 100 and my logic behind that is simple...other motorists will assume that you're doing 100 and may misjudge their movements.
    Oh, and if you choose to follow this advise, get rid of the L plate. Otherwise you're advertising the fact that you're speeding.

I remember the first time I rode from Wellington to Palmerston North, I slept very well that night!!!
    Hmmmmm....yeah I was thinking about that. Of course I'd have to hope I don't get pulled over.

Bike
    CB1300
    Hmmmmm....yeah I was thinking about that. Of course I'd have to hope I don't get pulled over.
    If your going to do that snap off your L so that it's not obvious from a distance but you can feign ignorance if push came to shove " so thats what those little buggers were doing back at -put a gas stations name here- !"

Worked a treat for me. Never got pulled over for speeding but during wof&reg checks etc that worked 3 times.

Bike
    2008, GSR600K
    Quote Originally Posted by Redstar

If you are going to hamilton (Jewel of the Waikato) and its early Feb then why not do another 100klms and go to the Classic bike meet at Pukekohe raceway when is that? first weekend in Feb 7th-8th I guess heaps of bike and races and stalls and stuff and Beer and stuff a great day out. usually cost like $20 to get in and its worth the effort.
    ill be wearing a red carnation and will go by the name of Bob.
    Did I mention the Beer?
    Sounds great! But I was thinking about travelling the following weekend b/c that is Waitangi weekend and there will be a lot more manic drivers on the roads then!

Bike
    2008, GSR600K
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog
    If your going to do that snap off your L so that it's not obvious from a distance but you can feign ignorance if push came to shove " so thats what those little buggers were doing back at -put a gas stations name here- !"

Worked a treat for me. Never got pulled over for speeding but during wof&reg checks etc that worked 3 times.
    Oh yeah! Tee hee! Or maybe if I cry I heard that, that scares them off!

Bike
    93 fireblade
    Oh yeah! Tee hee! Or maybe if I cry I heard that, that scares them off!
    I saw your bike today on mercer st too.. didn't realise it was yours till I got here and saw the same pic of it in your profile :P

Nice paint job - 250 million cc

I'm planning a ride from here to akl some time in the next month, and I've never done a really logn ride before, so I could go up with you if you wanted.

Bike
    2008, GSR600K

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by MrMelon
    I saw your bike today on mercer st too.. didn't realise it was yours till I got here and saw the same pic of it in your profile :P

Nice paint job - 250 million cc

I'm planning a ride from here to akl some time in the next month, and I've never done a really logn ride before, so I could go up with you if you wanted.
    Hey Mr Melon - I've pm'd you.

Bike
    niente
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher
    If you plan to do a bit of touring, get a tankbag (with magnetic flaps) and a tailbag. Oxford make the best of both of these
    Hi, If you want I have an Oxford tankbag for sale (including waterproog cover). It's in good condition and they are very durable. I'd rate it as one of the best tank backs out there.

I also have a Givi tail bag if you want (although more 2nd hand looking).
    Matt Thompson

Bike
    R6
    Hi Celtic,

I've done a few big trips now and they are awesome. But as everyone has said preparation makes a big difference. Your bike, your gear and you. Follow all the advice you've been given and you should have an awesome time. I like to carry my cellphone in my jacket pocket so if i bin my bike im not separated from my phone. Definately take the offer of company if you can get it, it's an entirely different experience in a group (even a group of 2). If you end up travelling on your own, make arrangements to notify (even txt msg) mates about where you are, where your headed and do a quick check in when you make that destination. If your on your own try and make your rest stops in a visible place preferably where other people are around. I hope you can do the trip and it all goes off hitch-free, and most of all HAVE AN AWESOME TIME.

Thread Information