Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Advice & pointers for a new gurl

Bike
    2004 Yamaha R1
    "May the roads rise to meet you."

As a gen-u-ine Irishman and speaker of Irish I must point out that the first line of that blessing is usually mis-translated from the Irish - Go n'eiri an mbothar leat. The verb eirigh (eiri) means both 'succeed' and 'rise' in Irish. The line really means "May you succeed on your road". Irish is tricky.

If anyone meets John (Rotten) Lydon soon please tell him this. He put this line in a song.

Ok ok, this information is not crucial to the success of Ms Lily's trip.

Ok I'm a geek.
    The more you know the less you need

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mccool
    "May the roads rise to meet you."

As a gen-u-ine Irishman and speaker of Irish I must point out that the first line of that blessing is usually mis-translated from the Irish - Go n'eiri an mbothar leat. The verb eirigh (eiri) means both 'succeed' and 'rise' in Irish. The line really means "May you succeed on your road". Irish is tricky.

If anyone meets John (Rotten) Lydon soon please tell him this. He put this line in a song.

Ok ok, this information is not crucial to the success of Ms Lily's trip.

Ok I'm a geek.
    An Irish gentlemen from Galway with an impenetrable accent once tried to explain this to me.

All I ever understood was ..."ahahahaha, right!" at the end of every sentence.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Though a "road rising to meet" does describe the average Irishman staggering home from the local rather well.

Jim2
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    Katana 750, VOR 450 Enduro
    Blog Entries
    Hmmm. Yes, on reflection that does sound a little better....

Thanks for pointing that out. Being a scot, I'm bound to misquote the Irish from time to time.
    And I to my motorcycle parked like the soul of the junkyard. Restored, a bicycle fleshed with power, and tore off. Up Highway 106 continually drunk on the wind in my mouth. Wringing the handlebar for speed, wild to be wreckage forever.

- James Dickey, Cherrylog Road.

Bike
    2004 Yamaha R1
    All Celts are brothers No6.

Jim2, yes, I have a fleeting memory of the road rising to meet me when I stacked my GS1000 in 1990.
    The more you know the less you need

Bike
    03 Ducati M800Si.e. 04 Ducati M1000Si.e.
    "May the roads rise to meet you....." was the verse on the order of service at the funeral for a good bike mate of mine who died of cancer coming up four years ago. It was chosen by his wife (who was not at all into bikes, disliked them really) and I thought it was a lovely gesture on her part - it was the first time I'd heard the verse before but it seemed very fitting. He would have approved.

Thread Information