Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Motobatt battery problem. Can anyone borrow a smart battery charger?

Bike
    1999 Red 955i Daytona
    They are sealed and suppose to have lest discharge over time and better cranking power

Bike
    Steam powered rocking chair
    Quote Originally Posted by 3umph View Post
    They are sealed and suppose to have lest discharge over time and better cranking power
    That and well priced with a '2yr warranty' .Least they are standing by what they advertised. Felt a bit shite when you came back yest and said "only one year warranty". good warranty was main reason i suggested motobatt.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    I've been running a Motobatt for 3.5 years after my factory hellishly expensive Yusa (SP?) shit itself one week after the Warranty expired on the new bike (and NO Bluewing were not interested at all .....).

It was under half the price of a Y-thingy and has lasted longer. Very happy customer.

EDbear - you know darn well that shit happens and it is not unusal for factory recalls on just about anything - shit I could give a good list of Motorcycle related issues over the past 20 years from Honda, Suzuki, BMW, Ducati ..... etc. Indeed if you research one of these 'fancy' new battery names you will find plenty of issues with underpowered batteries not suitable for the bike in use. I presume in most cases it is a ill-informed sales person (or data) not upgrading the shockingly expensive battery to a higher capacity one.

The only issue possibly here is are the importers of Motobatt doing a batch recall or just waiting to see which ones die? If the latter that is a very bad business move. If this is the case the dealers selling them need to put on the hard word. Mind you with NZ's motorcycle market (bikes and parts) being controlled by a handful of men it may not be so easy to apply a bit of muscle.

I'll spend my hard earned on another Motobatt when this one finally expires.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    One odd thing I have noticed - car batteries appear to have remained the same price over the years yet improved. Bonus. I have no idea why!

Bike
    Had a 2007 Suzuki C50T Boulevard
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    I've been running a Motobatt for 3.5 years after my factory hellishly expensive Yusa (SP?) shit itself one week after the Warranty expired on the new bike (and NO Bluewing were not interested at all .....).

It was under half the price of a Y-thingy and has lasted longer. Very happy customer.

EDbear - you know darn well that shit happens and it is not unusal for factory recalls on just about anything - shit I could give a good list of Motorcycle related issues over the past 20 years from Honda, Suzuki, BMW, Ducati ..... etc. Indeed if you research one of these 'fancy' new battery names you will find plenty of issues with underpowered batteries not suitable for the bike in use. I presume in most cases it is a ill-informed sales person (or data) not upgrading the shockingly expensive battery to a higher capacity one.

The only issue possibly here is are the importers of Motobatt doing a batch recall or just waiting to see which ones die? If the latter that is a very bad business move. If this is the case the dealers selling them need to put on the hard word. Mind you with NZ's motorcycle market (bikes and parts) being controlled by a handful of men it may not be so easy to apply a bit of muscle.

I'll spend my hard earned on another Motobatt when this one finally expires.
    Agreed, but I did explain I was only repeating what dealers had told me unsolicited. That there was a faulty batch. It did seem the importer/NZ Distributor was not very pro-active about the issue either but that could be disgruntled comments by affected dealers.

I don't need to run down the competition and I don't. My original comment was to explain a probable reason for the OP's issue with Motobatt.
    You don't get to be an old dog without learning a few tricks.
    Shorai Powersports batteries are very trick!

Bike
    06 scrambler,xrl,
    Blog Entries
    Using two motobatt batteries in me n kanny's small fleet.
    One in a Bandit 600.
    One in an XRL650 thumper.
    Both have been faultless, and I really like their pole options on both sides on the battery.
    Cheap n cheerful whips overpriced complication every day in my books.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by tri boy View Post
    Using two motobatt batteries in me n kanny's small fleet.
    One in a Bandit 600.
    One in an XRL650 thumper.
    Both have been faultless, and I really like their pole options on both sides on the battery.
    Cheap n cheerful whips overpriced complication every day in my books.
    Whew! Thought you were talking about Shorai for a minute there! But they aren't overpriced having four times the life cycle and are a simple drop-replacement battery with no complicated use instructions...

A good Motobatt is a good battery but I do get a lot of people saying they will never use them again including at least three dealers. Too many issues with them. So I don't run them down as I have ever had one myself, I can only say what those who have used them tell me.

Bike
    1999 Red 955i Daytona
    Quote Originally Posted by Edbear View Post
    Agreed, but I did explain I was only repeating what dealers had told me unsolicited. That there was a faulty batch. It did seem the importer/NZ Distributor was not very pro-active about the issue either but that could be disgruntled comments by affected dealers.

I don't need to run down the competition and I don't. My original comment was to explain a probable reason for the OP's issue with Motobatt.
    I got it from the importer that there was a dud batch and they were only from one model of battery and had a defect from manufacture that did not show up until they were being used

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by 3umph View Post
    I got it from the importer that there was a dud batch and they were only from one model of battery and had a defect from manufacture that did not show up until they were being used
    Fair enough, it happens. As long as they notified the dealers and recalled that model for replacement with new stock, that's the best they can do and would placate dealer concerns.

Bike
    1999 Red 955i Daytona
    Totally agree... even the best manufactures have a down day sometimes... as long as they put it right then its all goood

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Quote Originally Posted by Edbear View Post
    Whew! Thought you were talking about Shorai for a minute there! But they aren't overpriced having four times the life cycle and are a simple drop-replacement battery with no complicated use instructions...

A good Motobatt is a good battery but I do get a lot of people saying they will never use them again including at least three dealers. Too many issues with them. So I don't run them down as I have ever had one myself, I can only say what those who have used them tell me.
    I've got a good one. I've left it connected for 3-4 months at a time with the bike's RFID unit on and it had no problem starting the bike.
    I'm about o buy an MB2.5U for my kick start only GN600 and it should do the job perfectly.
    Everyone seems to have bad batches.

Sent from my Tesla coil
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    1999 Red 955i Daytona
    Well they honoured the 2 year warranty when they were made aware that it was listed in there online catalogue...

Battery tested today and was buggered... when I got it tested the other day it was only putting out 80cca and suppose to put out 200-250ish cca from what they said...

New battery in and the bikes cranking over faster then it ever has... tbh i think its had problems from the start...

Now that they only give a 12 mth warranty it may not be the battery of choice next time

Bike
    gsxr1000
    ive boughta motobatt they are cheap,sealed, dont need acid filling when u buy it or maintanance (which is why i will never buy another),. my motobatt was for a 600cc an been sittin for about 8 months when i put it in the 1000 to see if was still ok an it started the bike straight up sweet as. they do have these odd terminal brackets on them which i didnt like at first but they are ok, but i will buy another motobatt in the future. buy it put it in and go

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    I've got a motobatt in my DRZ400, a bargain at half the price of the genuine article. Was a bit reluctant to start the bike after it had been sitting for a few weeks when I first put it in, float charged it for a while and it's been fine ever since.

Sent from a chair at a desk using white mans magic.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    1970 Vespa ss90
    Ill weigh in on this one too.

Motobatt are far more reliable than pretty much any standard lead acid battery, and the cost similar.

They out perform pretty much any "budget" sealed battery (and generally cost less, or very close)

If budget is your main concern, then go for Motobat, if price is not a concern, simply go for as good as you can afford (what ever that brand is), quality will never be cheap, there is no getting around that.

Thread Information