Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Motobatt battery problem. Can anyone borrow a smart battery charger?

Bike
    1988 Honda CBR600FH
    Well this is interesting. I installed a new Motobatt in my old CBR600 and it as performed perfectly. However, a friend who bought one for her 250 Virago has found that it seems to self discharge quite fast, a matter of several days. I had suspected a 'leaky' rectifier bridge, but we have installed a new one and it still does it. The battery takes a charge on the charger OK though.
    So perhaps we have been looking in the wrong place for the fault... it could be the battery...

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathryn42 View Post
    Well this is interesting. I installed a new Motobatt in my old CBR600 and it as performed perfectly. However, a friend who bought one for her 250 Virago has found that it seems to self discharge quite fast, a matter of several days. I had suspected a 'leaky' rectifier bridge, but we have installed a new one and it still does it. The battery takes a charge on the charger OK though.
    So perhaps we have been looking in the wrong place for the fault... it could be the battery...
    Have you checked for current draw when it's off?
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries

Whelp - here yo go...

VFR800, notorious for having problematic electrics. And way tooooo many wires and electrical gizmos. So I added two extra horns, a PC2, grip heaters, a fan for the R/R, an accessory jack, a whole extra fusebox, several thousand millimetres of cabling, and a pratridge in a pear tree. (Yes, as a matter of fact, I did mean to say "pratridge". And yes, you've got me oroficer - I've no idea what it is).
    Last battery I put in it was so long ago, I can't remember when I bought it, but it was at least 5 or 6 years ago. Checked the voltage at rest a few days ago (it was on vacation, lazing around on a beanbag), and it was 12.47V. Never had a scrap of trouble with it, and it's one of those (Shock! Horror!) Motobatts. Y'know: yellow thing, with an ugly butt-face only its blind mother could love (at both ends), membraneous leathery wings attached to its front legs, and a nasty squeaky voice. And apparently a motor somewhere propelling it around the place.
    So how ees eet, meester?
    One thing I will say is that I don't particularly like the universal terminal connections (they give you some adaptors and you choose the appropriate ones, and attach them with little nut's bolts. They're fiddly, and a bugger to get tight when you first install the battery. For that reason, I'm not sure if I'll buy one next time. Maybe, but depends on the connectors, which direction the wind's blowing, and what I had for breakfast the Tuesday before.
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Madness View Post
    Yuasa.

That is all.
    I second that ...I've had no problems ever with them.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Motobatt tend to hold charge much better, which is why I own one motobatt and 5 dead Yuassa and other such brand batteries, only the yellow one works and it started my bike after sitting for a year
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Mottomatt in mine since 09 - the factory Yussa (SP?) died a week after the bikes warranty ran out. The yellow box has performed most excellently.

Bike
    1988 Honda CBR600FH
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    Have you checked for current draw when it's off?
    Yes..... doesn't seem to be any, so I guess it might (must?) be the battery. That would be disappointing because it's brand new...

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Yes..... doesn't seem to be any, so I guess it might (must?) be the battery. That would be disappointing because it's brand new...
    Really? I wouldn't expect it to drain itself in a matter of days without some sort of load on it.
    I must be rude and ask, how was it tested?

Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    1988 Honda CBR600FH
    Really? I wouldn't expect it to drain itself in a matter of days without some sort of load on it.
    I must be rude and ask, how was it tested?
    Digital multimeter in series. Tried all scales down into the milliamp range.... reads zero...

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Digital multimeter in series. Tried all scales down into the milliamp range.... reads zero...
    Somebody who can do such a simple test correctly!
    I expect motobatt will replace that free of charge then (no pun intended)

Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    1988 Honda CBR600FH

Wink

Somebody who can do such a simple test correctly!
    I expect motobatt will replace that free of charge then (no pun intended)
    Why thank you kind sir....

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by Madness View Post
    Yuasa.

That is all.
    The OEM Yuasa in my bike lasted 6 years. It could still start the bike when I replaced it but couldn't crank the engine for very long.

So I bought another one from a seller on Trademe for about $30 more than a Motobatt.

Bike
    2018 Triump Street Triple 765 rs
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Had one in my 955i since new and it is now 7 years old. Ready for replacement now so not bad effort i would have thought.
    Trumpydom!

Bike
    2017 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
    there was a dodgy batch of motobatts doing the rounds a wee while back...some where replaced under warranty. (1 year I believe)
    Those who risk nothing, Do nothing, Achieve nothing, Become nothing.

Bike
    CB1300
    The Hayabusa fitment was $100 difference so not a hard choice. Performed better than the two yuasas I ha in it before then.

+1 on any charger will charge it. A smart charger / battery tender will leave it holding a better charge. I don't understand the physics or chemistry. Just the anecdotal response of it starts easier in all conditions.

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.

Thread Information