Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Honda NC700S

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Larksea View Post
    I look at it and wonder why they did not drop it from 670cc to 660 or just under and have it also be a LAMS bike. maybe they just couldn't manage it with the 1/2 jaz engine.
    Nobody makes bikes for the LAMS list. Everybody, though is making bikes for the EU regulations, and there is now a whole range of bikes around 48bhp or whatever is the limit set by the EU.

Just another instance of those who make the rules in this country charging full speed ahead up a blind alley.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post

Just another instance of those who make the rules in this country charging full speed ahead up a blind alley.
    But its for your SAFETY.

Surely you're in favour of safety? and kittens? Unless you're some sort of commie weirdo. ? because only a commie weirdo would be against safety and kittens.

its an election year so the motto is safer kittens for all.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Ducati M696
    I don't know the exact details but I thought we (NZ) were not the only place to apply the lams specifications, I mean don't Australia use the same system?

yeah no big deal its not lams and there is the cb500, just a shame its so close 10cc too big... You would have to think it would help sales if it was LAMS

a quick look it seems lams does sit a little more restricted than the A2 category, the NC700 would probably fit that.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    I don't know the exact details but I thought we (NZ) were not the only place to apply the lams specifications, I mean don't Australia use the same system?

yeah no big deal its not lams and there is the cb500, just a shame its so close 10cc too big... You would have to think it would help sales if it was LAMS

a quick look it seems lams does sit a little more restricted than the A2 category, the NC700 would probably fit that.
    we use Australia's LAMS system actually. but yeah.

I think it should be compulsory for learners to have GSXR1000's.

If they live longer than six months, then they DESERVE to live. If not, well, fuck them.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    Forget that for 2014 though its now an NC750, I think they have added 75cc increased the power a bit and kept the fuel econ about the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    They do have the CB500 range now, that is LAMS compliant.
    I tested both the NC700X and the CB500X before choosing to go with the latter when I recently upgraded my bike. I was most comfortable on the 700, but ended up going for the 500, basically because I was nearly as comfortable on that and it seemed a better value proposition - ABS, bigger fuel tank, NZ LAMS compliant, cheaper to register. On a side note, having the fuel filler under the pillion seat on the NC would be awkward for me as I use mine to carry items that won't fit anywhere else there (mainly a tent etc), and it would be a pain to have to remove it every time I filled up (although I probably could have figured something out).

If the 750 had been available at the time I probably would have gone for that (they offered me a 700X for the same price as the 500X but I just couldn't get over the fact that the 500 seemed better spec'd). They weren't able to say if the higher spec 750 was coming to NZ. If it does and I'm bored with the 500 by then (although I'm pretty happy with it so far) I might look at trading up, just 'cos I like the idea of the NC bikes - I'm a hard-core commuter
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nerrrd View Post
    They weren't able to say if the higher spec 750 was coming to NZ. If it does and I'm bored with the 500 by then (although I'm pretty happy with it so far) I might look at trading up, just 'cos I like the idea of the NC bikes - I'm a hard-core commuter
    Quoting myself, I'll probably go blinder. Turns out the NC750X is coming, dammit.

http://www.hondamotorbikes.co.nz/bik...e/2014-nc750x/
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    2005 Ktm 640
    Quoting myself, I'll probably go blinder. Turns out the NC750X is coming, dammit.

http://www.hondamotorbikes.co.nz/bik...e/2014-nc750x/
    I wouldn't be too fussed about that, by all accounts its not really any different in reality than the 700. If the 700 didn't float your boat before then the 750 wont either.
    I test road both the CB500x and the NC700x back to back as well and almost got convinced on the 500 thanks to the livelier engine . Ended up going for the 700x and after a couple of rides to adapt to the motor knew I had made the right decision. Such an easy commuter, barely sniffs fuel, smooth, and whilst we are ripped off (as usual) by the import mafia here its still a cheap bike to purchase and maintain. niggles like the tank under the seat can be dealt with, having just done 3 weeks around the south island it wasn't as painful as I thought it would be.. coupled with I often filled up every second fill than some of the guys.

And..now I have the "Frunk" (front trunk) I cant understand how i lived without it, a dozen beer and a bottle of wine..no problem. No more shopping bags down the front of the jacket for me.

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by calfinm View Post
    Ended up going for the 700x and after a couple of rides to adapt to the motor knew I had made the right decision.
    Glad to hear you're so happy with yours not drastically unhappy with the wee CB, but I'm more of a pootler really, and while it will pootle, it's really much happier ridden in that 'livelier' manner (using my definition of 'lively' here, which is probably most people's definition of 'are we awake yet?'). I preferred the NC over the CB originally, just couldn't get past the extra 'value' in the 500.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    NC700X XR250 MTS1200
    Blog Entries
    Hello, fellow 700X owner here.

I got mine not long after they came out early last year and have put over 10'000k on mine in just over 3 months. They are fast enough for these speed restricted times, this is from the references of having had CBR's / GSXR's and Blackbirds in the past.

Yes it runs on a wiff of fuel, and can be ridden WOT with the focus more on riding well with good lines.

A small turbo will be useful on the 700
    newbie since August 2004....
    VTR250 (retired) / SV650S (Fw:Keystone19) / GSXR750(given up) / CB400(traded for 919) / CB900 Hornet / CBR954 (traded) / CBR1100XX (sold) / TuonoR (sold) / CB900 Hornet / NC700X / MTS1200 / XR250

Bike
    2013 KTM Duke 200
    What kind of fuel economy are you getting? KTM Duke is mentioned in the original post. My Duke 200 takes 2.5L / 100 km when commuting between CBD and Takapuna in Auckland. 3.3L if I really gun it.
    From Sweden, in NZ for a 1 year visit.

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tobbera View Post
    What kind of fuel economy are you getting? KTM Duke is mentioned in the original post. My Duke 200 takes 2.5L / 100 km when commuting between CBD and Takapuna in Auckland. 3.3L if I really gun it.
    On the 500 the average consumption is currently reading 5.5L / 100km but I haven't reset it for ages (and did a day of low speed gravel riding a couple of weeks ago). From memory I think I was getting 3.5 just commuting (no motorways).
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    2005 Ktm 640
    Quote Originally Posted by tobbera View Post
    My average on Fuelly is 3.2L. The best 2.6L , worst Ive managed 3.7L

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    I should post a little update. The chap at work who has an NC700X bought it because he thought it might be bad to have another hoon bike, having written off a couple - one while wheelieing at speed. After having owned some impressive and quick bikes in the past, I was sure he'd be bored with the 700 after a short time, especially when he said he was thinking about Buells. Then one day, he said he'd yoinked the NC up on the rear wheel, just to see if he could, and a couple of days later, he said he'd ridden a wheelie about 1.5km down the road, and some guy had pulled up beside him, and said, "I saw your wheelie back there!", so of course he thought, "Uh-oh; a cop!", but the guy just said, "Great wheelie, Bro!"
    After some time on the thing he seems to be quite settled on it, and the Yoshi gives it a very nice rumble, so it doesn't sound quite so anodyne.
    I'll stick the the VFR though, thanks.
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    Between bikes
    Wonder if they'll bring the NC750S.

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vifferman View Post
    ...and the Yoshi gives it a very nice rumble, so it doesn't sound quite so anodyne.
    Reminds me of the course I did on the 500 with a Harley, a Vmax, a Victory and a GSXR1000 (I think), they laughed.
    - The Simpsons

Thread Information