Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: So I went out for a ride tonight...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    You've got that backwards, smaller rear sprocket will give lower revs for the same speed and slower acceleration.
    Did you miss this bit of my post.

What usually happens (with smaller bikes especially) that by being geared up ... it runs out of power sooner (lower revs at the same speed means less power being developed by the engine) and just cant get up to the theoretical new top speed. In perfect conditions ..ie: flat road and tail wind .. it's fine .... but perfect conditions seldom occur. (not in NZ anyway)
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bosslady View Post
    Yup you are right and yes at high speed I do check my revs and yea I can tell what gear I'm in by my speed/revs but somehow still paranoid have to look at the Speedo too lol.
    You're catching on quickly then ... but a few of us have seen that already.

Run your eyes over ALL the instruments on a regular basis. Indicators/warning lights etc ... It is good to know all your bike is telling you. Even a small change in engine note/sound (when it should have no cause to change) will tell you things ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The End View Post
    That's vibration for ya. Give them a look and see if they are lose. I am assuming like most bikes like the GN they are screw on mirrors. Make sure they are done up tightly. If that doesn't fix it then it could just be that is the resonant frequency of the mirror and there isn't much you can do. Perhaps look at getting some sort of rubber seal between the mirror and bars, should help reduce the vibration.
    A common problem on the long pull-back bars on GN's ... shorter stemmed mirrors may help.

Sometimes it's the mirror glass vibrating. Silicone sealer around the edge of the mirror glass (let it dry) may help ..

Bike
    Nothing :(
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by unstuck View Post
    1984, cb50, pissing down, windy as fuck, too much brake,slid for fuckin ages. And I thought the bridge was still 80kmh.
    I was just a twinkle in me daddies eye then! well hey, youre still here to tell the story

Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    You're catching on quickly then ... but a few of us have seen that already.

Run your eyes over ALL the instruments on a regular basis. Indicators/warning lights etc ... It is good to know all your bike is telling you. Even a small change in engine note/sound (when it should have no cause to change) will tell you things ...
    I do run my eyes over all instruments, regularly however I'm doing it too often IMO, so too with looking in my mirror, I know it's good to do that but I *feel* like I'm doing it too much. I do it a lot if someone (I know) is following my (crappy) lead but even on my own I do it too much, I think. Cars just seem to come up out of nowhere and I feel that I need to see what's behind me always cause if something in front of me happens, I know how much time I have to react so I don't panic... sigh... I dunno.

Speaking of mirrors, just got on the motorway before and the bloody thing came loose! turned inwards so all I could see was how "boss" I looked whilst riding lol. Bloody nuisance and unsafe, couldn't stop till after the bridge. Fixed now...
    Becoming fearless isn't the point. That's impossible. It's learning how to control your fear, and how to be free from it.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    I do run my eyes over all instruments, regularly however I'm doing it too often IMO, so too with looking in my mirror, I know it's good to do that but I *feel* like I'm doing it too much. I do it a lot if someone (I know) is following my (crappy) lead but even on my own I do it too much, I think. Cars just seem to come up out of nowhere and I feel that I need to see what's behind me always cause if something in front of me happens, I know how much time I have to react so I don't panic... sigh... I dunno.
    It can never be too often. Be aware of what (and who) is coming at you ... and from what direction. Keep your eyes moving. An extra half second of warning may save your life.

Speaking of mirrors, just got on the motorway before and the bloody thing came loose! turned inwards so all I could see was how "boss" I looked whilst riding lol
    ........ mmmmmmmmmmm ...

A few riders have set them that way on their bikes ... all the time.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Did you miss this bit of my post.
    Sorry, I didn't read what you posted correctly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    so too with looking in my mirror, I know it's good to do that but I *feel* like I'm doing it too much.
    So you got me thinking, "How much is too much?"

Nick Ienatch in his book "Sport Riding Techniques" recommends that in town you should check the mirror every five seconds.
    By the way, that's a glance at the mirror, not a stare.
    Of course that's a waste of time for Ducati sprotbike riders, 'cause a gance at a blurry elbow doesn't tell you much worth knowing.

He also recommends that you jab the blinker button at the same time. Uncancelled blinkers can cause accidents.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Nothing :(
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    So you got me thinking, "How much is too much?"

Nick Ienatch in his book "Sport Riding Techniques" recommends that in town you should check the mirror every five seconds.
    By the way, that's a glance at the mirror, not a stare.

He also recommends that you jab the blinker button at the same time. Uncancelled blinkers can cause accidents.

Of course that's a waste of time for Ducati sprotbike riders, 'cause a gance at a blurry elbow doesn't tell you much worth knowing.
    Well if that's the case then I'm definitely not looking too much, probably about right. Just a glance, of course. Don't need to jab the blinker though I think, the indicator on my bike is super bright is hard to miss it but will keep in mind for future bike(s)
    Becoming fearless isn't the point. That's impossible. It's learning how to control your fear, and how to be free from it.

Thread Information