Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: So I went out for a ride tonight...

Bike
    A fast one
    I remember the first time I tried clutchless shifting from 1st-2nd. Suffice to say after revving the hell out of the bike in neutral, I never did it again

I definitely find clutchless shifting smoother than using the clutch, however it's probably best to learn how to use the clutch before trying anything harder.

Bike
    SPEED TRIPLE
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    But don't go there this weekend 'cause you'll get several KBers around to cheer you on
    Don't foget the pom poms boys

No body move... I dropped my brain

Bike
    A fast one
    When you get more confidence, these are a godsend for practicing getting your knee down.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	motorbike-racer-in-playground.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	274852

Bike
    2010 Honda CB1000R Predator
    Blog Entries
    Come along to NASS sometime, and we'll try and help you out.
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/wiki/Nort..._Street_Skills

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by Stirts View Post
    Don't foget the pom poms boys
    Ok I recognise DMeTD and Caseye but who are rest?

Bike
    2012 Suzuki Boulevard M50
    I used to think only in terms of what speed I was doing at the moment, didn't worry if I was in 2nd, 3ed, 4th, just as long as the engine wasn't lugging or screaming. then it's up one to go faster or down one to go slower.

One thing I never did was drop down to 1st to slow down, the retardation is too severe. Just clutch in and brake to a stop and find 1st while you're at idle.

Practice, practice, practice, and one day you'll realise you've just braked, chopped down two gears, and carved through a corner, and you'll think "What was all the fuss about?"

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    Seriously, FORGET attempting clutchless changes, thats best left for when you have mastered the gears up and down.

Suggestions that WILL help you that have been made.

Long quiet road or big car park change up feel how your bike 'feels' is the engine 'chugging'? (lugging) means too high a gear, change back down one gear and feel the difference. 30-50kph on a GN will give you plenty of feel on the gears for this.
    Blipping the throttle is going to need to be mastered, but again just getting the idea of up and down changes without the throttle blip is OK for now.
    As you improve your speed to gear selection, the reason for the throttle blip becomes more obvious (matching revs to speed) etc.
    just pootling up and down at 30-50kph WILL give you the feel for how your bike sounds, reacts when practising.

Try slowing down on the gears only (no brake) this really is the 'crux' of gear changing when slowing. A single has different engine braking to a twin or 4 cyl. (2 strokers are different again... little to no engine braking power). You will take time to get the hang of it, but the 'knack' of selecting gear, brakes to match speed will come...

DONT worry if you cock it up... it does take time and practice.
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    Nothing :(
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by catharsis View Post
    You're on the Shore right?
    There are some great spots in the industrial areas round Albany that will be really quiet over the break. I know I will be heading there to get time on the bike every day these holidays so hit me up if you want company. (I live in Milford and work in Albany industrial area)
    Starting a new job in the city after the break and going to commute on the bike so this holiday period is my crash course in riding
    sounds good, when are you planning to go out?

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The End View Post
    When you get more confidence, these are a godsend for practicing getting your knee down.
    hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by GrayWolf View Post
    Seriously, FORGET attempting clutchless changes, thats best left for when you have mastered the gears up and down.

Suggestions that WILL help you that have been made.

Long quiet road or big car park change up feel how your bike 'feels' is the engine 'chugging'? (lugging) means too high a gear, change back down one gear and feel the difference. 30-50kph on a GN will give you plenty of feel on the gears for this.
    Blipping the throttle is going to need to be mastered, but again just getting the idea of up and down changes without the throttle blip is OK for now.
    As you improve your speed to gear selection, the reason for the throttle blip becomes more obvious (matching revs to speed) etc.
    just pootling up and down at 30-50kph WILL give you the feel for how your bike sounds, reacts when practising.

Try slowing down on the gears only (no brake) this really is the 'crux' of gear changing when slowing. A single has different engine braking to a twin or 4 cyl. (2 strokers are different again... little to no engine braking power). You will take time to get the hang of it, but the 'knack' of selecting gear, brakes to match speed will come...

DONT worry if you cock it up... it does take time and practice.
    All very good advice thank you just have to put it into practice now! Was going to get up early this morning and practice but was too hungover.... tried too arrange a mentor through KB but they haven't responded and I haven't seen them around so they must be busy.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by p.dath View Post
    Come along to NASS sometime, and we'll try and help you out.
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/wiki/Nort..._Street_Skills
    I would love to but I don't know if I'd be confident enough to ride all the way there quite yet? also I'm pretty shy I'd get embarrassed being so shit and riding with or around ppl lol.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    So I went out again tonight... went to the local school, as I have a couple times to practice. Then these damn kids turned up and some man came out of his house and was watching me... needless to say I got a bit nervous and took off lol. Wish I could have practiced changing down gears a bit more but I was starting to get a tiny bit better, kept trying to remember the advice given I.e. blip... all went well until I went to visit someone around the corner. Steep driveway, going up, turning left DEAD. DROP!!! Fell on my left with the bike of course. Now shit happens right, but whilst trying to lift my bike I kept hitting the horn so yea people came out to look of course... sigh, lol.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Supermarket/ Mega stores of one type or another ... all have car parks that are not usually locked at night/evenings. There must be one near where you live.

Just keep practicing .... in a few years ... you might get the hang of it. Just like everybody else.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Supermarket/ Mega stores of one type or another ... all have car parks that are not usually locked at night/evenings. There must be one near where you live.

Just keep practicing .... in a few years ... you might get the hang of it. Just like everybody else.
    My nearest supermarket has some construction on at the moment and not heaps of space anyway. The one nearest to that is part of a shopping centre so always ppl around. Other than that off the top of my head would be mitre 10 etc is about 5km away... I'll get there.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bosslady View Post
    My nearest supermarket has some construction on at the moment and not heaps of space anyway. The one nearest to that is part of a shopping centre so always ppl around. Other than that off the top of my head would be mitre 10 etc is about 5km away... I'll get there.
    Deserted open roads are the best.

Any excuse for a ride ... eh .. !!

Yep ... you'll get there.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Deserted open roads are the best.

Any excuse for a ride ... eh .. !!

Yep ... you'll get there.
    yea it's the finding them that aren't too far away thats the problem ae, been trying to rack my brain on what's close but no..., heaps of cars and traffic in my immediate area

Thread Information