Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: So I went out for a ride tonight...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayWolf View Post
    its fucken EASY on an FJ mate...... just hit the pub wall at 20kph... it'll lift it's ass for sure!!!
    That's not a stoppie method I want to try. (The publican wont like it anyway)
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Nothing :(
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by frogfeaturesFZR View Post
    Northcote point ? Most of Akld leaves between Xmas and new year, quietens down. How about Onepoto Reserve ?
    more like birkenhead, not sure where onepoto is, been on the shore maybe 9 months if that...

Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Up and down through the gears ... type practice is what you need, so staying close to home in your local area is fine. Go with no set route ... and turn on a whim, and vary your direction often. Even if you only use the first three gears all the time .. that is where you need to concentrate on. It may even surprise you how far you actually travel (Reset your trip meter before you start) and where you end up.

The lower speed riding is hard work, so don't be scared to stop for a break/drink now and then. (If a Cafe "happens" to appear)
    I wonder, at what gear would I be in when I'm going like 50kph? ive been doing that in 4th, must be wrong i guess. I will have to figure out that trip meter too

Bike
    Aprilia RSV Mille & Aprilia Tuono 660
    Have a look at Birkenhead United Soccer clubs carpark ? As to 50 kph and gearing, it depends on the terrain. On the flat, probably 2 nd or 3 rd. maybe a cruise through Chelsea View Drive ? Have a look in Google Maps.
    RSV Mille: No madam, its an Aprilia, not a Harley. If it were a Harley, I would be pushing it !

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bosslady View Post
    I wonder, at what gear would I be in when I'm going like 50kph? ive been doing that in 4th, must be wrong i guess. I will have to figure out that trip meter too
    The little engines need the rev's to get the power. And until you get used to the noise and realize it is normal ... it can be daunting to a learner trying to look after their bike engine.

How many gears does your model have ... and what is it's red line ???? (look at the lower number on the red part of your rev counter face)

Bike
    Blog Entries
    The little engines need the rev's to get the power. And until you get used to the noise and realize it is normal ... it can be daunting to a learner trying to look after their bike engine.

How many gears does your model have ... and what is it's red line ???? (look at the lower number on the red part of your rev counter face)
    hmmm yea it's hard cause my bike sounds like an effing lawnmower, no matter what, it always sounds sick
    ummm between 8 and 9?? is that right? 5 gears.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    There is clear space around and under the bridge...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bridge day 001.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	696.9 KB 
ID:	274920  

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    hmmm yea it's hard cause my bike sounds like an effing lawnmower, no matter what, it always sounds sick
    Yep ... sounds about right then ... and I do know that feeling ...

In the first three gears ... try taking it up to 5 1/2 - 6000 rpm. (unless traffic numbers/road conditions/speed limit prevents it)

In the other gears ... (it may not be possible in top gear to get to red-line on the GN) try 6-7000. (open road only.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Yep ... sounds about right then ... and I do know that feeling ...

In the first three gears ... try taking it up to 5 1/2 - 6000 rpm. (unless traffic numbers/road conditions/speed limit prevents it)

In the other gears ... (it may not be possible in top gear to get to red-line on the GN) try 6-7000. (open road only.
    well I can try next time I'll try and keep an eye on the rpm, just don't want her getting grumpy at me lol

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    well I can try next time I'll try and keep an eye on the rpm, just don't want her getting grumpy at me lol
    Make her scream ... (it's a guy thing ) you WILL notice the difference.

You will get to know what speed you are traveling at in each gear. So looking at the rec counter and the speedo .. you will know what gear you are in.

And when you get your next bike ... you will need to learn all over again.

Bike
    Honda vfr 750 fn 1992 x2 90red
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

My nearest supermarket has some construction on at the moment and not heaps of space anyway. The one nearest to that is part of a shopping centre so always ppl around. Other than that off the top of my head would be mitre 10 etc is about 5km away... I'll get there.
    With name like yours just get mindset that you are the boss hehe of the bike

seriously if i can ride abike drive a car anyone can, and make adventure of it as one way to look at it reverse it this is excting times adventure when things are new enjoy the time as well
    I used to go down to local dairy get my sisters some treats, then your got a reason to go for a trip
    and your not so focussed on the one thing (dudes get like that) beacuse even know i have my times on bike when you get like oh am crap and u do clang the down changes mainly cause focuss on the negtive or just tired. next day is fine

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    Right gear is a 'balancing act'.... too high and you'll hear the engine 'bog' it'll sound deeper and the speedo will not really move, if at all, for the amount of throttle you've used drop it down 1 gear if still not a lot of difference, drop down a second gear (example 5th down to 3rd gear) As the gears get lower (1st, 2nd, 3rd) they will allow the bike to rev 'free'er' Yes you can scream a GN, but When I rode my ex partners one (104kg) I found she was cumfy for engine sound at about 90kph. At 100 I could hear the engine was starting to sound a little pushed. But saying that, GN's seem to survive an inordinate amount of abuse as long as they get regular oil/filter changes

A reasonable 'rule of thumb' is you should be in a gear that will allow you to accelerate, but not one that will leave the bike revving hard at a given speed at 50kph.. likely depending on terrain (flat/incline) 3rd or 4th shold be cumfy on the ginnie.
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    2015 HD Street 500
    Make her scream ... (it's a guy thing ) you WILL notice the difference.

You will get to know what speed you are traveling at in each gear. So looking at the rec counter and the speedo .. you will know what gear you are in.

And when you get your next bike ... you will need to learn all over again.
    sorry FJ. Finding that point where the bike "pulls" the best is what you want. from about 3000rpm to 6000rpm, change up the gears when you "feel " this power band. Going to redline is a waste of fuel IMO. Once you have learnt the gears, using this bower band will allow you to smoothly accelerate up to the road speed comfortably with little fuss from the motor. On down changes you will find the engine reving harder, again you will get the "feel" of this and is ok for the engine to do so, as its not under as much "load" as accelerating.
    But lets not baffle you with all these things.
    Be confident that you are doing just fine. experiment each time you go out with just ONE thing, not a heap of things that can confuse and exasperate your fun. Listen to your bike, if its sounds stressed , probably is, feel your bike, the vibration from the engine can tell you a lot too. Be comfortabile with each thing you learn, practice each thing till it becomes instinct. Relax and enjoy your little machine, respect it, it will respect you. Making it scream? well, if your partner thrashed you till you screamed..........

Grey wolf has good points to offer too
    To be old and wise, first you must be young and stupid.

Bike
    FZR,Jog,GZ maybe CBR?
    Go for another ride tonight. Even if its scary, just be cool. Hard to do, I know. Don't let your head get in the way of the ride - When I first started I was the same way, saw a car I felt the panic, would stop wait be all scared.

Focus on what your doing/ what you want to do. It is a lot to take in but you can do it when your calm. Stuff the onlookers, when your worried about them, and things turn to crap, your not focusing on what you are doing. If they make comments and it bothers you that much, just walk up and ask them how they did when they learned to drive. Then ask how they would do with 2 wheels. I bet they will at least shut up. Or ask them if they are a driving instructor lol. PM me I have a few comments I can rattle off at any given second ;p Oh yeah, so you're like Evil Kinevil's son right? At least my bike is not on a computer screen and I'm not thinking about while using my hand. Once I can ride this thing do you want me to ruin your front lawn?

Anyway, half the times I have stalled was because I've been nervous/freaking out/thinking of 80 things (on top of the the other 80 I was already thinking about.) The times I have been cool calm and in control, things have always gone well - taken off easily etc. Good to explore new horizons and ride to different places but don't push yourself. I may sound like I'm doing okay, but every corner I'm going around is at like 45 km/h.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    too hard to reply to each persons advice (only have a tablet!) but all very much appreciated, might take her out tomorrow night or Xmas morning perhaps

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    too hard to reply to each persons advice (only have a tablet!) but all very much appreciated, might take her out tomorrow night or Xmas morning perhaps
    Just enjoy your ride. Every ride is experience .... something you can never have too much of ...

Go the mighty GN ...

Thread Information