Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Bleeding Bloody Bleeding Brakes

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by imdying View Post
    if fluid doesn't leak out, then it's fine.
    I'm not convinced on this just yet.

Used to think the same, but then I started to consider why motocross bikes have air bleeders on the forks. They mostly aren't leaking fluid, but they all need to let the air out of the forks after a race.

Bike
    Bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post

Used to think the same, but then I started to consider why motocross bikes have air bleeders on the forks. They mostly aren't leaking fluid, but they all need to let the air out of the forks after a race.
    Probably should note, they're tested with fluid at 4500psi, not air. But either way, it doesn't actually matter if you're convinced or not.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125

Are they actually bleeders? I though they were used to set the base pressure. You'll be able to 'bleed' air out after a race cos the oil/air will have got hot during. And bleeding before a race may well be just letting air back in since it has cooled down and lost pressure from the last 'hot' bleed.

Probably should note, they're tested with fluid at 4500psi, not air. But either way, it doesn't actually matter if you're convinced or not.
    Yeh pressure testing with gas is generally a bad idea...
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Are they actually bleeders? I though they were used to set the base pressure. You'll be able to 'bleed' air out after a race cos the oil/air will have got hot during. And bleeding before a race may well be just letting air back in since it has cooled down and lost pressure from the last 'hot' bleed.
    Air preloading went out with damper rods bro.

Gas forks these days, are sealed cartridges to reduce cavitation under and above the piston. The extra spring effect is a negative by product, but the lesser of two evils. I think the new systems might not even have said spring effect, but I don't know for sure.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    it doesn't actually matter if you're convinced or not.
    I was implying (but maybe it was too subtle for your superior self), that I would like to know why you think air cannot be dragged back past the seals, rather than the piston return. I used motoX forks as an example of this happening in other applications.

Clearly you're too clever to waste your time for the likes of me though, and would rather be condescending instead.

Jog on.

Bike
    Bikes!
    I was implying (but maybe it was too subtle for your superior self), that I would like to know why you think air cannot be dragged back past the seals, rather than the piston return. I used motoX forks as an example of this happening in other applications.

Clearly you're too clever to waste your time for the likes of me though, and would rather be condescending instead.

Jog on.

I'm not sure what you expected... you used a completely unrelated example; completely difference stroke, completely different seal type, completely different application. If you don't want to be dismissed as a muppet, try applying some critical thinking of your own instead of blurting the first thing out that your two brain cells come up with. I knew exactly what your were implying, it just wasn't worth my time

Bike
    Honda PC800
    gwigs. Has anyone suggested having a look at the brake lines? I wonder if a big part of your problem is the brake lines swelling when you apply pressure
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    A Black One
    Quote Originally Posted by FROSTY View Post
    gwigs. Has anyone suggested having a look at the brake lines? I wonder if a big part of your problem is the brake lines swelling when you apply pressure
    Well after waiting for months for new calliper pistons I find out from the parts people that Suzuki dont make them anymore.
    So I tracked down some second hand Callipers...brakes still no good ...put in mastercylinder kit...brakes still no good..
    Put new braided lines on two days ago and yipee I got brakes again...so you are right on the mark there

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank...
    Give a man a bank he can rob the WORLD !!!

Thread Information