Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Backing up the hard drive

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    OK, has there been any further updates to this?

Wondering about versioning and types of backup and frequency etc

Lots of data 1.2 TB is a full backup

Simple full VS Grandfather, Father, Son (GFS) VS Tower of Hanoi (TOH)

Finding GFS takes up a lot of space, maybe I am backing up too much too often

Using a 4TB backup - its full already

Maybe I need more backup space - I have been quite selective on what I backup
    I have done a backup drive CD in case of full melt down

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Japanese Zero, Yer mama
    Backing up the hard drive

I thought you were after some driving lessons....
    I've spent my money on bikes, booze and babes. The rest I've wasted....

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    rsync on cron.

How likely is corruption?
    How much time can you afford to lose?
    How quickly would you notice a virus?

Weekly/daily rsync to local dir.
    Monthly midnight tarball it and compress it to offsite.

This, i guess, is gfs.

http://www.taobackup.com/

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    also (and i dont run windows so this is easy) backup files, not the os.

Technically like, i can unpack a backup anywhere with nix and drive it like it was mine.

Bike
    A
    Take no chances...

http://www.able2drive.co.nz/DrivingL...Beginners.html

Or for them IT challenges, just buy some external HD from Dick Smith at their closing down sale...or just save less stuff on a backup?

Bike
    I use a program called Corbin backup. You can schedule it to run automatically how ever often you like. Only catch is to remember to plug in or turn on removable drives for the set time

For photos I either (usually) upload straight to dropbox for work and to google drive or images for personal (which is automatic from my phone whenever I have wireless and it is charging, and takes a few mins manually from camera because it's old)

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    Take no chances...

Or for them IT challenges, just buy some external HD from Dick Smith at their closing down sale...or just save less stuff on a backup?
    That's all I've done. Got a 1TB external and just drop a copy of all my data files and photos onto it every few months. It lives in the garage in case the house burns down. I have some USB flash drives hidden in the garage too but we won't discuss what's on them.
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakie View Post
    That's all I've done. Got a 1TB external and just drop a copy of all my data files and photos onto it every few months. It lives in the garage in case the house burns down. I have some USB flash drives hidden in the garage too but we won't discuss what's on them.
    Good to see I'm not the only one with a somewhat outdated approach to new fangled stuff. Files I can't replace easily, such as photos from overseas trips or important records, those I'll back up or copy. Even started using the Cloud a while back...

Any dodgy stuff I just file under "Instruction Manuals" which renders it safe, whife knows everything already

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    Files I can't replace easily, such as photos from overseas trips or
    print them!! Seriously, its about 16c a go nowdays (compare to 2$ for a 35mm pic!)

i suppose the digital file is now your "negative" but always kept those in the fridge/vault in the garage...

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    print them!! Seriously, its about 16c a go nowdays (compare to 2$ for a 35mm pic!)

i suppose the digital file is now your "negative" but always kept those in the fridge/vault in the garage...
    My approach to date has been to drop my brother, sister and folks a copy of stuff like that. We reciprocate in that sense, so it works for us.

The only printing of photos is that of key snaps onto poster sized foam blocks or such for display on our walls.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Macrium has a free version with a basic feature set of the paid one. You can have multiple backups etc. Having multiple means you can go further back, in case you get corruption etc at some point (and catch it soon enough). Obviously the more backups you keep, the more space you need. Backup software will compress the files, except the likes of images, video, music won't compress as they're already a compressed format. Doing a sync between devices is another cheaper way, but usually less efficient (depending on how it works, block, sector etc). Also very carefully copies your corrupt files, unless it has some detection.

Ultimately think worst case. House disappears? If that's your worst case then you need off site storage, either cloud, drive taken somewhere else, another server, whatever.

Even on-site don't put all your faith in one drive. New ones can be faulty, old ones fail. Multiple copies are your friend. Kinda learnt this the hard way with some media. I had 6TB of capacity across two network drives, both mirrored formats (so total capacity of 6TB x2, once raided each was 3TB). One failed... except I only found this out when the second drive failed... it didn't bother letting me know there was an issue when the first drive failed Goodbye to 2TB of data, fortunately media (music etc) which I discovered I had another older copy elsewhere, so big inconvenience but not family photos, documents etc.

Now I have built a monster file server with 6x 4TB drives with around 15TB of capacity, but it's still one machine. I'll use the remaining old network drive to keep a copy of the most important stuff... but I might have to consider another server elsewhere... sigh... It's an ongoing battle, and you can always throw more money at it
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Thank you all.
    Acronus backup 11.7

I have now 2 copies of everything but so many backups the drives are full.

Obviously I need to review how much/many backups I have.

While Acronus seems the biz it does lack in some repects regarding feedback on what/if items are backed up etc. I have setup as many notifications as I could (which is quite nice)

I see there is a wide variety of methods people use to backup, while the main issue for me is number and frequency.

cheers

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    CB1300
    If how long it takes to restore is not too much an issue go to monthly full and nightly differentials. Save a mountain of space.

Sent via tapatalk.

Thread Information