Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No wof with these cans, so?

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250

No wof with these cans, so?

Whats next?To be honest they were driving my old ears mad and wasnt surprised to get the "jeez its a bit loud mate" look from the local guy that has done my wofs for years,fair call though how some of the Harleys get a wof round heres beyond me.These are fine at idle etc but give it a handful and its annoying.Anyone had any dealings with the aftermarket shorties with DB killers fitted and if so do they work?Been scouring the net and theres some nice stuff made for the likes of Ducatis streetfighter that i could use as i am going to change the mid pipe anyway so diameter isnt a problem,would just get it made to suit thing is i dont want to go spending big $ to find the things are no quieter than what i have remembering that other countrys may not be as tense with there noise levels.Shame really as i had started to like the look of these old things.Basically my question is will purpose built short cans with these decibal killers fitted (they say there removable) be acceptable to the wof guy..and my old ears.Someone posted they had a use for whats on there now but cant remember who,if you see this thread sing out eh.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000494 (Medium).JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	146.5 KB 
ID:	275833  
    Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 98tls View Post
    Someone posted they had a use for whats on there now but cant remember who,if you see this thread sing out eh.
    In this thread I think ...

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ies-or-similar
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Cheers FJ.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    I got some with the new yoshi pipes. I havent started the bike yet due to no ecu. Shop seems to think I wont need them in but I guess im going to find out tomorrow.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    In the rubbish bin
    Can you get in the can?

If you can, stainless steel pot cleaners. Yes, serious.

I've turned my mufflers from "Fuck that for more than a spit around the block" to something much more comfortable, by putting two in each pipe (started with one, then went to two).
    Find out more at www.unluckyones.co.nz

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy1200 View Post
    I got some with the new yoshi pipes. I havent started the bike yet due to no ecu. Shop seems to think I wont need them in but I guess im going to find out tomorrow.
    Are they short cans mate?Considered cutting out a couple of mdf ovals drilling a hole in em and fitting them into the end of the cans to pass the wof but na am done with them there just to loud for my ears,10 years ago i probably wouldnt have cared but.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Rider View Post
    Can you get in the can?

If you can, stainless steel pot cleaners. Yes, serious.

I've turned my mufflers from "Fuck that for more than a spit around the block" to something much more comfortable, by putting two in each pipe (started with one, then went to two).
    Yep easily,just drill out the rivets,i took 8cms off them awhile back hoping they wouldnt be toooo loud but i give up.So how do you keep said pot cleaners from exiting the cans?

Bike
    TF125
    So how do you keep said pot cleaners from exiting the cans?
    Use a dish brush bro!

Bike
    In the rubbish bin
    Yep easily,just drill out the rivets,i took 8cms off them awhile back hoping they wouldnt be toooo loud but i give up.So how do you keep said pot cleaners from exiting the cans?
    Whats the inside of the cans like?

If I could have a look I'd have some ideas.

Depending on how the inside of the can is, most you need is a small vented plate tig welded to the inside. Least, you can shove it it and it stays (or attach with gardening wire).

Does the inside look like this, with a vented tube inside it, attached to the cover plate?

|=======================
    |
    |
    - - - - - - - - - |

- - - - - - - - - |
    |
    |
    |=======================

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Your pipe diameters should be governed by your engine, not what sounds good on other peoples engines, which probably sounds that little bit better because the pipe size is matched!

I would highly recommend non round (oval, square, triangular) section cans, the theory being the non uniform wave reflections dampen the high frequency extra good like. But I'm mainly going by my own muffler here, proper sized pipes, twin perf tube in an oval shorty can (again, properly sized); still get wood hearing that sometimes
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    Whats the inside of the cans like?

If I could have a look I'd have some ideas.

Depending on how the inside of the can is, most you need is a small vented plate tig welded to the inside. Least, you can shove it it and it stays (or attach with gardening wire).

Does the inside look like this, with a vented tube inside it, attached to the cover plate?

|=======================
    |
    |
    - - - - - - - - - |

- - - - - - - - - |
    |
    |
    |=======================
    Yep,i put new packing in when i cut them down in vain hope,the baffle tube just sits in there with the packing around it.

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    I suspect you would have to pack them around a central baffle tube, you can buy lengths from any decent muffler shop. (If your cans don't already have them...)

I tried using fine mesh (steel white-bait netting!) rolled up, tied with lacing wire and put it my cans - it made the noise more mellow but 100 or so km I had this long 'streamer' sticking out of the central hole in the can by about 500mm.

So next time I will do what I suggested to you...
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    In the rubbish bin
    Yep,i put new packing in when i cut them down in vain hope,the baffle tube just sits in there with the packing around it.
    So the vented tube has that fibre glass like stuff wrapped around it?

Does the vented tube run straight through? Essentially a can, with a straight tube filled with holes down the middle?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Your pipe diameters should be governed by your engine, not what sounds good on other peoples engines, which probably sounds that little bit better because the pipe size is matched!

I would highly recommend non round (oval, square, triangular) section cans, the theory being the non uniform wave reflections dampen the high frequency extra good like. But I'm mainly going by my own muffler here, proper sized pipes, twin perf tube in an oval shorty can (again, properly sized); still get wood hearing that sometimes
    All fine b but am wanting to know if aftermarket shorties with db killers fitted will pass a wof here.The pipe diameter things been done to death on the TL site many times with varied results ie oversize headers etc but all i am after is finding some cans that are A short B will get me a wof and not drive me nuts after a few hours riding.

Bike
    So the vented tube has that fibre glass like stuff wrapped around it?

Does the vented tube run straight through? Essentially a can, with a straight tube filled with holes down the middle?
    Yep,xactly.

Thread Information