Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chain tensioning?

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600

Chain tensioning?

If you adjust the chain tension (on a gixxer 6 2008 f'rinstance ) when the bike is on a paddock stand (rear), will the chain tighten or loosen or stay the same when it's back on the ground with the weight back on and a fat arse sitting on it?

It's kinda hard to check when there's only one of you to do the job.
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    A few
    Quote Originally Posted by slofox View Post
    If you adjust the chain tension (on a gixxer 6 2008 f'rinstance when the bike is on a paddock stand (rear), will the chain tighten or loosen or stay the same when it's back on the ground with the weight back on and a fatt arse sitting on it?

It's kinda hard to check when there's only one of you to do the job.
    Tighten when your fat arse gets on it ! Your welcome
    A girlfriend once asked " Why is it you seem to prefer to race, than spend time with me ?"
    The answer was simple ! "I'll prolly get bored with racing too, once i've nailed it !"

Bowls can wait !

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Quote Originally Posted by sinfull View Post
    Tighten when your fat arse gets on it ! Your welcome
    Thanks. And damn!
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    MT09 Tracer
    The tightest position of the chain is when the front sprocket centre lines up with the pivot centre & the rear axle centre.
    You could strap the rear suspension up until they line up & adjust the chain.
    Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow aren’t just the 4 cycles of an engine

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Quote Originally Posted by nadroj View Post
    The tightest position of the chain is when the front sprocket centre lines up with the pivot centre & the rear axle centre.
    You could strap the rear suspension up until they line up & adjust the chain.
    Duh...why didn't I think of that? Good idea that man.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Duh...why didn't I think of that? Good idea that man.
    They often give recommended free play at unloaded position, which corresponds to tight at the tightest position, so you don't have to strap it down. Still, spinning the wheel when its at the tightest position is the quickest way to check for tight spots in the chain.
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    They often give recommended free play at unloaded position, which corresponds to tight at the tightest position, so you don't have to strap it down. Still, spinning the wheel when its at the tightest position is the quickest way to check for tight spots in the chain.
    Guess I should look at the book. Still, in a couple days it's getting a new chain and sprockets anyway.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Mine needs some new ones also, got a source for good gear? plus chain break/riveter...
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Mine needs some new ones also, got a source for good gear? plus chain break/riveter...
    Mine coming from USofA. When I get home I'll send you the linky - don't have it here at work. Complete set of chain and sprockets $US200 - includes freight.

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    I found a reference on one of the gixxer forums that says measure when it's on the side stand. In which case it checks out OK.

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Here ya go...

Brad. His email...

info@superbikesupply.com

Bike
    A few
    Mine coming from USofA. When I get home I'll send you the linky - don't have it here at work. Complete set of chain and sprockets $US200 - includes freight.
    That aint a bad price !!

Inch slack at the tightest spot while spinning the wheel on the paddock stand and then get someone to have a squiz when you're out and sittin on it, in a few different (push forward a foot and do it again) spots to double check it ! Is how i work it !
    A girlfriend once asked " Why is it you seem to prefer to race, than spend time with me ?"
    The answer was simple ! "I'll prolly get bored with racing too, once i've nailed it !"

Bowls can wait !

Bike
    many
    I found a reference on one of the gixxer forums that says measure when it's on the side stand. In which case it checks out OK.
    yea, ballpark,

with bike upright you can allways lean over the bike with weight on the seat and check slack with your weight on it. You want roughly an inch in this situation.

Do they say 20-30mm for the k8 gixxer? abit tight imo , especially considering thats measured on the sidestand.
    there are a few factors to take into account, swingarm angle etc

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    New chain and sprockets installed. What a difference. Didn't realise just how bad the old one was.

The new chain has gold coloured links. Does this mean it will go faster?

Bike
    many
    New chain and sprockets installed. What a difference. Didn't realise just how bad the old one was.
    how many kms on the old chain?

Thread Information