Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drowned bike - oil

Bike
    GSXR750, KTM350EXCF
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    CRC displaces/repels water. It does not absorb ... or remove it.

And as it evaporates quickly with even small amounts of heat ... very limited lubrication qualities are gained.

If there is not enough water in the cylinder to hydraulic the engine ... (if the engine runs) ... run the engine for a little longer and dump while it is warm.

So it's a hassle to keep changing the oil. But it COULD have been much worse. Especially if she could RIDE it home.
    ???? Never said start the engine, I said wait awhile so the CRC can push the water out not absorb it then change the oil.
    Never said it was a hassle either ?? what post did you read?

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BoristheBiter View Post
    ???? Never said start the engine, I said wait awhile so the CRC can push the water out not absorb it then change the oil.
    Never said it was a hassle either ?? what post did you read?
    Quote Originally Posted by BoristheBiter View Post
    i just emptied a can of CRC into the piston and waited awhile, than changed the oil a few times.
    Wheres the water going to go .. ??? it shouldn't get past the rings. And ... If the OP has ran the engine after the oil changes ... there shouldn't be any water left IN the cylinder.

The rest I posted for the benefit of the OP. My apology if I confused you.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    the mighty fzr and gsxr
    Just fresh oil ... cheap stuff. Run for a short time then dump. Take out the filter first ... and leave the new filter out until you put the good oil in.

I did the same to an old grey tank XL250 once. I did the same as you. Rode home.
    Dont run it without the oil filter as any shit that gets sucked up in the oil will end up in the tiny feeder holes and that could lead to problems of its own.
    winding up stucky since ages ago

Bike
    Yamaha MT09 Tracer
    barty5 is onto it..meths will decimate the water, in the past ive drained oil
    then added 1L petrol (xr200) then rocked and bounced the bike around (dont start it!)
    then drained it and left the drain bung out for it to drip dry, and/or evaporate
    then re-fill with 1L fresh oil.So im certain you could do the same with meth
    which will absorb the water pronto!
    anyone remember when meths was the cure for rainwater in the car fuel tank?
    'the stickiest situation since sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun'

Cpt Edmund Blackadder

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fridayflash View Post
    anyone remember when meths was the cure for rainwater in the car fuel tank?
    Did your "Old wife" tell you that .... it's just an old wives tale. Any I know that have tried it ... had very limited success.

I hope there's not too many "things" like sealed bearings/O rings etc (that are NOT in fuel tanks) .. that petrol/meths just might not agree with. But if the OP wants to take the risk ..his choice I guess ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    hopefully bringing something back to NZ
    Did your "Old wife" tell you that .... it's just an old wives tale. Any I know that have tried it ... had very limited success.

I hope there's not too many "things" like sealed bearings/O rings etc (that are NOT in fuel tanks) .. that petrol/meths just might not agree with. But if the OP wants to take the risk ..his choice I guess ...
    it dose in fact work have used it many time when i had my workshop with a number of old cars that had water in the tank simple test bucket add petrol and small amount of water then add meth stir it up it will be gone.
    [SIGPIC][/SIG

Bike
    2011 crf 250x
    Drowned crf250x today heading up stream dried the airbox and filter best I could. Wouldnt fire with electric start tried to kick it but couldnt release the compression. Finally turned over a couple of times with electric start but no go. Pushed back

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by niinnn View Post
    Drowned crf250x today heading up stream dried the airbox and filter best I could. Wouldnt fire with electric start tried to kick it but couldnt release the compression. Finally turned over a couple of times with electric start but no go. Pushed back
    please tell us you removed spark plug first.If you didnt it wouldnt turn over because the cylinder is partially filled with water.If there is more water in there than the volume of the combustion chamber you wount be able to turn it over..you cant compress water

Bike
    some honda bits in a kx chassis
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    you cant compress water
    Not by hand(foot) at least.

Although, fuel off, air filter out, spark plug out, bike upside down, turn over till the water stops, wring out air filter, right side the bike, drain the carb, put the spark plug back in(new if you have one), air filter back in, fuel back on. Start it.
    we may just go where no ones been

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries

Meths in the fuel tank works because - water in fuel forms droplets that are too big to pass through carb jets. Blocked jets = motor that doesn't run. When meth is added to fuel it causes the water to emulsify ie the droplets become smaller, small enough to pass through the jets and so the motor will run.

I wouldn't think it would have any benefit at getting water out of lubricating oil
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    R100GSPD

Meths "absorbs" water in the fuel tank,i was told to use it now and then on my new k100 rs till the new fuel cap was installed

Bike
    SV1K
    What about getting it really hot. Water will evaporate and steam out the breather???

Bike
    SXF250
    Quote Originally Posted by meteor View Post
    What about getting it really hot. Water will evaporate and steam out the breather???
    It's been awhile since I had water in my oil, but I think the volume of water makes evaporation impractical.

Personally I used diesel to flush & then cheap oil /filter run for a short period, dump & change filter/oil, worked just fine. But you do have to do a flush with something like diesel/petrol/meths/kero, just changing the oil won't be enough.

Thread Information