Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: So many choices

Bike
    2007 Suzuki LS650 Boulevard
    Quote Originally Posted by gnjackal View Post
    Yes, I just can't make up my mind. Having worked in Sales myself I can't stand tyre kickers. I think 18 months is too long for older drivers. To be honest, I'm not really interested in any mid-range bikes under the LAMs category. I'll probably just slug it out on the GN.
    Well good luck with that! You may have more patience than me. When I found out it was going to be another 18 months (I missed out by a couple of months, if only I had started 2-3 months earlier), I started looking for my LAMS bike. The idea was it would have become my full bike. But due to how much I had to spend, an inexperience with bikes I choose poorly for my needs.

The Boulevard is a great commuter, but poor tourer. It lacks long distance comfort (for me particularly, but my friend also commented on it a little while ago too). Also a 10L tank reduces the range to a little over 200km. As far as I can see a bike like my friends (a 750 Honda Shadow) would have been perfect, but for LAMS. It's power to weight is easily within the limits, it's not that much heavier than my bike, but just putting itself out of the running due to the 750. It's got a bigger tank, and is much more comfortable to sit on.

I am seriously considering getting one on my full! But this time I will go for some longish rides on some sport bikes, tourers, and others to find 'my' bike. I guess the wait might mean I have saved a bit more money to get something real decent!
    There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those that do not.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Glowerss View Post
    Find an RVF400 that isn't stupidly priced. At some 63+ BHP It shouldn't be a LAMS bike, but it is. Got that sexy V4 engine, looks the business, and just about anyone who has one doesn't want to let em go

Course that's assuming you A) fit on the thing and B) can handle the riding position

Be a hoot and a half though! I'd fully own one if I could afford it
    53 BHP stock according to the interwebs. That would put it at around 140ish kw/t depending on wet weight. Close to limit, so one of the quicker ones, if you can find a well looked after almost 20yr old bike!
    There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those that do not.

Bike
    VFR
    Quote Originally Posted by arcane12 View Post
    53 BHP stock according to the interwebs. That would put it at around 140ish kw/t depending on wet weight. Close to limit, so one of the quicker ones, if you can find a well looked after almost 20yr old bike!
    Yeah, go find some Dynos of bone stock RVFs. They put out more then 53 at the wheel. With a few simple mods like rejetting and a new muffler, some of them got up to nearly 60 at the wheel.

Meaning they're slightly more than what the VFR 400s put out (which aren't LAMS compliant). VFR 400s were quoted around 61.

Anyone whose ever ridding an RVF400 could probably tell you they really shouldn't be a LAMS bike

Bike
    Kwaka
    Well good luck with that! You may have more patience than me. When I found out it was going to be another 18 months (I missed out by a couple of months, if only I had started 2-3 months earlier), I started looking for my LAMS bike. The idea was it would have become my full bike. But due to how much I had to spend, an inexperience with bikes I choose poorly for my needs.

The Boulevard is a great commuter, but poor tourer. It lacks long distance comfort (for me particularly, but my friend also commented on it a little while ago too). Also a 10L tank reduces the range to a little over 200km. As far as I can see a bike like my friends (a 750 Honda Shadow) would have been perfect, but for LAMS. It's power to weight is easily within the limits, it's not that much heavier than my bike, but just putting itself out of the running due to the 750. It's got a bigger tank, and is much more comfortable to sit on.

I am seriously considering getting one on my full! But this time I will go for some longish rides on some sport bikes, tourers, and others to find 'my' bike. I guess the wait might mean I have saved a bit more money to get something real decent!
    I've looked at the Boulevard - looks like a big GN?

18 months is too long. Torture really. Thanks god I don't have to go through the learner stage like that!

Wonder who came up with 18 months. Seems like an arbitrary number to me. Makes sense for 18yr olds but for people with 20 years on the road? C'mon....
    "This is not a car."

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Glowerss View Post
    Yeah, go find some Dynos of bone stock RVFs. They put out more then 53 at the wheel. With a few simple mods like rejetting and a new muffler, some of them got up to nearly 60 at the wheel.

Meaning they're slightly more than what the VFR 400s put out (which aren't LAMS compliant). VFR 400s were quoted around 61.

Anyone whose ever ridding an RVF400 could probably tell you they really shouldn't be a LAMS bike
    If that's the case they probably aren't LAMS compliant then. The law states that it must be on the list AND comply with the 660cc limit AND the 150kw/t limit. So if it does not comply (either by mistaken addtion to list, or modifications) then no go. Also with mods, even if it keeps it inside the limits it's a no go. Any increase to power to weight rules it out. Until you get you full

I've looked at the Boulevard - looks like a big GN?

18 months is too long. Torture really. Thanks god I don't have to go through the learner stage like that!

Wonder who came up with 18 months. Seems like an arbitrary number to me. Makes sense for 18yr olds but for people with 20 years on the road? C'mon....
    A big GN, I'm hurt *looks at google image search* Ok I see what you mean, but not so much in reality. I can see why GN's get listed as cruisers sometimes then.

It's all arbitary numbers really. Riding hours is probably better. Otherwise it might as well not have any time factor. But how do you accurately track hours in the saddle? It's a hard job coming up with a good system that ticks all the boxes - affordable, reliably trainder riders/drivers, and is measurable.

Bike
    Kwaka
    If that's the case they probably aren't LAMS compliant then. The law states that it must be on the list AND comply with the 660cc limit AND the 150kw/t limit. So if it does not comply (either by mistaken addtion to list, or modifications) then no go. Also with mods, even if it keeps it inside the limits it's a no go. Any increase to power to weight rules it out. Until you get you full

A big GN, I'm hurt *looks at google image search* Ok I see what you mean, but not so much in reality. I can see why GN's get listed as cruisers sometimes then.

It's all arbitary numbers really. Riding hours is probably better. Otherwise it might as well not have any time factor. But how do you accurately track hours in the saddle? It's a hard job coming up with a good system that ticks all the boxes - affordable, reliably trainder riders/drivers, and is measurable.
    Heh heh, sorry, if you read my posts, I'm a huge GN fan so it was a compliment!

I guess 18 months was thought through carefully. I just don't think it should apply to me. Like speed limits.
    "This is not a car."

Bike
    bandit
    So, what would you recommend? I'm completely open to ideas.
    Bandits, of course - or the new TNAB the GSX...F range ... 600/1200 or 650/1250 ... excellent all round bike .. (and probably more than you can handle straight from a GN) ... the 650 would be a good learning curve

Seriously - have a look at one ... someone said "The Bandit is a bike no-one wants - ubntil a mate gets one."
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    bandit
    Oooooh! The GSR750 is a nice looking machine!
    Yeah very pretty - a real riders bike - unlike the wanky versions of the GSXR1000 ...

You'll either scare yourself shitless or die ...
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    Heh heh, sorry, if you read my posts, I'm a huge GN fan so it was a compliment!

I guess 18 months was thought through carefully. I just don't think it should apply to me. Like speed limits.
    Oh good. I think.

I don't know how much thought was put into it over 'We need to change this. Ok, how about we make them take more time? Anyone got any better ideas? Nope, to hard. Ok extend the time it is.' I jest, but I wouldn't put it past them to go for easiest solution over a more complicated, but more fair solution. Look at the cc rating on LAMS. It should have been thrown out completely. And if they think people will get onto bikes that are too heavy without being powerful, then set a weight limit. They must have had the weights to work out kw/t! Or reserved the right for discretion as it still has to be on the list as well as the other factors. 'Not on list, no go. You can apply for an exemption if you want'.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Guys, there are threads covering the LAMS rules, but, in short, under the old system there were approved courses to reduce your time on licence, and under the new system there are courses. The courses themselves have changed, and there are far less providers (3 across the country).

Have a look, and see which provider is in your region. It's still very new, as the courses were only recently announced.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    2015 R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    I didn't know any such course were available yet. This from NZTA - In late 2013, the NZ Transport Agency expects to introduce a competency based training and assessment (CBTA) course as an alternative path to progress through the restricted and full licensing stages. Once developed, applicants who successfully complete this course will be able to present a CBTA certificate at the agent in lieu of some graduated licensing system requirements.

Bike
    Kwaka
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Guys, there are threads covering the LAMS rules, but, in short, under the old system there were approved courses to reduce your time on licence, and under the new system there are courses. The courses themselves have changed, and there are far less providers (3 across the country).

Have a look, and see which provider is in your region. It's still very new, as the courses were only recently announced.
    There are plans to introduce courses which will reduce the time but nothing available yet. I reckon it'll take around, ooh, say... 18 months to come up with another curriculum? By which time.....
    "This is not a car."

Bike
    2015 R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    I'll give them 11 months... by which stage I'll have been on my restricted for 12 and be just in time! ;-)

Bike
    Honda shadow
    I can't believe that a 750 honda shadow is not in the lams, why not! power to ratio is fine! Why stop at a cc rating some of the 600cc are a faster and more dangerous, once again another rule that doesn't make it very fear for the road user come on guys can you get right for once, all your doing is following other rules made up by other country's (aus) less homework for the Nzta I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
    Honda CB250 (Nighthawk)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jkmorris25 View Post
    I can't believe that a 750 honda shadow is not in the lams, why not! power to ratio is fine! Why stop at a cc rating some of the 600cc are a faster and more dangerous, once again another rule that doesn't make it very fear for the road user come on guys can you get right for once, all your doing is following other rules made up by other country's (aus) less homework for the Nzta I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    they are focused on the CC over the power to weight ratio the sheer weight of some of the harley's compared to a 600cc honda cbr is insanity
    THE BIRD OF HERMES IS MY NAME
    EATING MY WINGS TO KEEP ME TAME

Thread Information