Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice and help for new & learner riders

Bike
    CBR450RR
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up Advice and help for new & learner riders

We now have the Kiwibiker Mentor programme up and running so if you want or need some help with your riding you can request to be put in contact with a Mentor, all of whom have many years of experience and knowledge to share. They're not Motorcycle Riding Trainers, just riders that have been there and done that and are happy to help people try and avoid making the same mistakes.

Check them out in the Mentoring forum.
    Zen wisdom: No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously. - obviously had KB in mind when he came up with that gem

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Bike
    ZX6R race machine, rmz250
    Wow thats really handy, im sure thatll help heaps of people. Well done KB

Bike
    Scorpio 08
    its great that people are willing to give us newbees a hand - cheers guys =)

Bike
    Suzuki 2010 M50
    Hello
    I am in need of a mentor in the chch area..anyone interested.

Thanks
    T

Bike
    CBR450RR
    Blog Entries
    .... which reminds me, I must upgrade the Mentor mod to work with vbulletin 4 sometime soon
    Zen wisdom: No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously. - obviously had KB in mind when he came up with that gem

Bike
    None yet
    Hi ya, myself and a girlfriend have decided that we want to get our bike license (a bit later in life - but better late than never we hope). Anyone been to a weekend learners course that they could recommend? We live central Auckland. Any other chicks out that wanna join us? Might get a group discount??? Both us have been happy pillion's, but looking to try up front. Thanks

Bike
    09 Repsol
    Quote Originally Posted by Guzzi Gurl View Post
    Hi ya, myself and a girlfriend have decided that we want to get our bike license (a bit later in life - but better late than never we hope). Anyone been to a weekend learners course that they could recommend? We live central Auckland. Any other chicks out that wanna join us? Might get a group discount??? Both us have been happy pillion's, but looking to try up front. Thanks
    Hi, try Philip, he is good.
    http://www.riderskills.co.nz/

Bike
    2001, RGV 150S Suzuki

eek

Awesome! im on an RGV150s and Ive been looking for somthing like this. Not so much for handeling though more for maintenance of 2 strokes and 4 strokes and what to look out for etc.

I wanna keep the skin on my body... I have full quasimoto gear but would rather learn how to not have the engine sieze up on me round a corner

Bike
    In the rubbish bin
    Quote Originally Posted by bikee chick View Post
    Hello
    I am in need of a mentor in the chch area..anyone interested.

Thanks
    T
    I am available to help out. My fiancée (late 20s) is learning and has a similar bike to you.
    Find out more at www.unluckyones.co.nz

Bike
    nothing yet
    have booked in the rider skills for next weekend...am doing my basic skills course with them in takanini,south auckland....looking forward to it...am new to the riding side but have been taking pics of them for a little while....hope to look at a hyosung bike later in the year as i am 6'2 and 120kg so most of the other 250 bikes would be like circus bikes to me....went into motomail today and had a look at some of the things i might need later on ie: helmets,jackets etc....is there any rough idea on what you should spend on your first helmet or is it like other things...save up and get the best equipment you can afford?...cheers craig

Bike
    CBR450RR
    Blog Entries
    Spend as much as you can on a helmet. You've only got one head and you can't fix it if it's broken. And get a back protector before anything else for the same reason.

Bike
    Can Am Spyder RS. 2010
    Actually, get a helmet that fits comfortably, they all have to conform to a standard and I'm not convinced that any brand offers more protection than another. Some may have better sound insulation, any problems there can be fixed with ear plugs.
    The perversity of the universe tends towards a maximum

Bike
    CBR450RR
    Blog Entries
    Just because something meets a standard doesn't mean that it provides the best protection. There's plenty of cheap helmets that meet the standards but transmit close to the maximum permissible impact to the head. The lower the impact transmitted to the head the better.

Generally the more expensive helmets soak up the most and transmit the least. They're mostly fibreglass too because plastic doesn't soak up impacts as well.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Mental Trousers View Post
    mostly fibreglass too because plastic doesn't soak up impacts as well.
    Frangible. Lovely word.

But those some of those cheap helmets test better than the more expensive ones. And you can throw a couple of percent over the feild. Most important is it fits.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    CBR450RR
    Blog Entries
    Which ones though?

Thread Information