Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article: Institute of Advanced Motorcyclists.

Bike
    GSXR1000

Institute of Advanced Motorcyclists training

Posted on behalf of Duncan by me.

Hi All,

Institute of advanced Motorists are offering free observed rides or drives to anyone who would like to know more about the IAM and 'Roadcraft' System of vehicle control Based on the UK Police Driving System. This is proven around the world to reduce risk when driving making those who use it safer drivers/riders.

You can go out with a trained observer for a ride or drive for about an hour and get constructive feedback on ways you may be able to improve your riding or driving. This is informal and not any kind of test!

Meet us at Hampton Motorcycles at 20 Carmen Road from 9am to 12 noon for a coffee, chat and / or a drive/ride on Saturday 26th January.

If you want to ensure an observed run then contact us back on this email address canterburyiam@gmail.com asap

regards
    Duncan Seed
    Chairman IAM Canterbury
    021 734 484
    Last edited by onearmedbandit; 17th January 2013 at 12:04.

Bike
    Bikes!
    Sounds like an awesome way to spend a day.

Bike
    Merida
    I already know I ride like a moron, no need to observe it.
    Ride fast or be last.

Bike
    2010 Honda CB1000R Predator
    Blog Entries
    What a bummer. When I initially read this I saw "Hampton" and thought you were meeting at Hampton Downs, not in Christchurch.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by p.dath View Post
    What a bummer. When I initially read this I saw "Hampton" and thought you were meeting at Hampton Downs, not in Christchurch.
    There's a great IAM group in Auckland!

Bike
    1984 BMW
    Hi, Anything in Wellington?

Bike
    R1150RT
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kforbes View Post
    Hi, Anything in Wellington?
    Poor response in Wgtn, registered on their website early December still waiting for any sort of response/comms.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Bald Eagle View Post
    Poor response in Wgtn, registered on their website early December still waiting for any sort of response/comms.
    Andrew and Lynne Templeton are the IAM Examiners in Wellington and there are a handful of members from that area but with their Roadsafe motorcycle training business, I'm not sure at present how active they are in IAM. Guess you could ring them directly. Canterbury and Auckland regions are extremely active. I travel from Coromandel to Auckland for their month-end training rides and to mentor members at other times. A great bunch of people.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    What does "Advanced" mean in this context? serious question.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Sold
    In this context, there's a difference between an "experienced" rider who may have spent many years riding, but perpetuates the same bad habits (me, until I joined IAM ). An advanced rider is one who is taught to a system and we're talking about advanced roadcraft, not track-based training. IAM was founded in the UK and uses the UK Police training system as its basis with formal measuring of ability (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorcycle-R.../dp/011341143X).

There's obviously a lot more involved with how it works, but this is your short answer! It's not everyone's cup of tea (pretty hard, but there again, anything worthwhile is) but I joined to safely extend my riding career and get rid of my ingrained faults (I'm now 65), but we have the full spectrum of ages represented. It's had a huge impact on my riding. The on-going nature of it prevents a slide in standards, which is bound to happen in due course with a one-off training event.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    interesting. I am not sure if I want my formal (in)ability on a bike tested......... besides I have been riding for YEARS, I must be a good rider, right?

not really

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    interesting. I am not sure if I want my formal (in)ability on a bike tested......... besides I have been riding for YEARS, I must be a good rider, right?

not really
    Hahahaha - you sound just like I did 20 months ago The first assessment caused major ego damage but that was because of my shame - the examiner was tremendously supportive. However, it showed me enough to want to continue and get progressively better.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    I will try and schedule a follow up: Saturdays are bad for me so I couldnt attend this saturday's one (though I did sneak over to Avon City to pay for my Dave Moss thing).

Cheers for the headsup.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    I will try and schedule a follow up: Saturdays are bad for me so I couldnt attend this saturday's one (though I did sneak over to Avon City to pay for my Dave Moss thing).

Cheers for the headsup.
    Not an issue - will send you a PM shortly.

Bike
    2010 Honda CB1000R Predator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    There's a great IAM group in Auckland!
    I went along the Sunday just gone to have a look (in Auckland). What a great turn out. It looks great to me.

Thread Information