Thread: Need your seat refurbished?

Bike
    1992 Kawasaki Zephyr 1100

Need your seat refurbished?

Rode to Tauranga this morning from Auck. Had the seat for my Zephyr refurbished/customised. McDonald Motor Trimmers, 39 Glosgow Street, Tauranga. Fantastic job, great service. Arrived at 8.45am, they were straight onto it. Was back on the road just after 11.00am. Fits like a glove, not that you would wear a glove on your butt. Improved riding position, dont slip forward anymore and dont feel every bloody bump in the road like before. 240k there from home - sore butt, 240k home, could carry on and do another 500 no problem. And nice people to boot, thanks McDonald Motor Trimmers, you guys rock.

Bike
    01 SV650S
    Blog Entries
    So did they just reshape/replace some of the foam then? or did you get a new cover to boot?

Also, if you don't mind my asking, how much was it all up?
    Te audire no possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.

Bike
    None any more
    Check out my recent thread too about a great job Mac did on the Z1000's seats on Saturday last.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    1992 Kawasaki Zephyr 1100
    They replace the old foam, someone had done a butcher job on it previously, shaped it as per my personal needs. More height, shaped to give specific seat position. Yes new cover, embossed material for top, plain around the sides at the back, added a strap, all for under $500.

Bike
    2001 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport
    Hate to hi-jack what is now an old thread - but this popped up as the most recent topic on seat recovering.

The virtues of McDonald Motor Trimmers are sung far and wide. But for simpler jobs (such as a simple recovering, no foam reshaping required) I used my local auto/marine upholsterer.
    They are Allcar Marine in Petone, Lower Hutt. Ask for Nick.
    Removed the old and recovered with new vinyl the seat on my Guzzi V11 Sport. In brown/tan, at my request. Identified that the rear seat cowl had a sharp edge on it and put some cloth underneath so it would prevent tearing the vinyl again. There's a little foam bum stop that he recovered too.
    Very happy with the job. $200 + GST.

Then I found the seat wouldn't lock - I forced it down and then couldn't get it off again. Nick dropped the tray above the rear wheel and found that my tool tray had slipped and was stopping the seat fully engaging - nothing to do with what he had done. But he spent the time fixing it anyway and charged me nothing.
    I think that's pretty good service and I would heartily recommend him.

Bike
    parts in a box
    For anyone wondering, if you're happy with the foam and are simply looking to replace the vinyl, it can be done for under $10 if you have a staple gun.

Get some leftover stretchy vinyl from an upholstery shop, warm it up a little in the dryer, staple it down.

Thread Information