Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible to get rid of corrosion on my GN250?

Bike
    Nothing :(
    Blog Entries

Possible to get rid of corrosion on my GN250?

hey have a bit of corrosion on my gn250 I.e. engine cover and such, autosol doesn't help, is there anyway to get rid of it without replacing it? I've attacked Ginny as much as I can but really want to give her a sprucing up

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/al...hmentid=275632
    Becoming fearless isn't the point. That's impossible. It's learning how to control your fear, and how to be free from it.

Bike
    A blue one
    Im currently in the process of doing a set of cases and other parts..
    I have a palm sander setup with 3m RED scotchbrite and lubed with
    carb's secrete sauce ( Jif, WD40 and Brasso ) to get the worse off
    then its onto the buffing machine

( 6" bench grinder setup with a course and fine buffing wheels )

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    blowtorch.

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Baking soda blasting WORKS.
    I got hold of an air gun with a sucker tube in it and attached it to a mates 110 pounds compressor and hey presto, the road crap, tar and rusting /corrosion on my daughters new/second hand Mag wheels literally fell off.
    There are now some commercial soda blasters about, might be worth a call to one of em, shouldn't cost heaps.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by carburator View Post
    Im currently in the process of doing a set of cases and other parts..
    I have a palm sander setup with 3m RED scotchbrite and lubed with
    carb's secrete sauce ( Jif, WD40 and Brasso ) to get the worse off
    then its onto the buffing machine

( 6" bench grinder setup with a course and fine buffing wheels )
    hmmm I think that's outside of my capabilities at the moment lol sounds like a good idea though

Quote Originally Posted by caseye View Post
    Baking soda blasting WORKS.
    I got hold of an air gun with a sucker tube in it and attached it to a mates 110 pounds compressor and hey presto, the road crap, tar and rusting /corrosion on my daughters new/second hand Mag wheels literally fell off.
    There are now some commercial soda blasters about, might be worth a call to one of em, shouldn't cost heaps.
    I wonder how much... I wouldn't know where to start looking truth be told.

I'm in no rush but am slowly going over my bike detail cleaning it and trying to figure out what's connected to what and where things go lol.
    Becoming fearless isn't the point. That's impossible. It's learning how to control your fear, and how to be free from it.

Bike
    In the rubbish bin
    You talkin about the white stuff that looks like peeling nail polish?

Thats a lacquer coming off. You can scrub it off with a lot of elbow and arm work, then polish the lot, then clear coat again.

But if you're going through that much trouble, do something creative. Even if all you do is paint it with a grey hi temp paint and then bake the paint.
    Find out more at www.unluckyones.co.nz

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Paint 'em black, worked nice on mine Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19082012015.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	777.7 KB 
ID:	276764
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Rider View Post
    You talkin about the white stuff that looks like peeling nail polish?

Thats a lacquer coming off. You can scrub it off with a lot of elbow and arm work, then polish the lot, then clear coat again.

But if you're going through that much trouble, do something creative. Even if all you do is paint it with a grey hi temp paint and then bake the paint.
    I think that's what it is? I tried a green scourer (not too scratchy but scratchy enough?) and some autosol but no luck?

Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    Paint 'em black, worked nice on mine
    Hmm but would it end up Matt or Gloss? and would she scratch easy? I would love to have her all shiny again looking like new (well, kinda). I took the seat off last night and the back stop light and its fittings and scrubbed all the metal/chrome with autsol and sprayed a cloth with crc and wiped down the metal - does that help repel shit to stop it rusting so fast?

Bike
    In the rubbish bin
    Quote Originally Posted by bosslady View Post
    Hmm but would it end up Matt or Gloss? and would she scratch easy? I would love to have her all shiny again looking like new (well, kinda). I took the seat off last night and the back stop light and its fittings and scrubbed all the metal/chrome with autsol and sprayed a cloth with crc and wiped down the metal - does that help repel shit to stop it rusting so fast?
    If you want it to look real pimped, get the covers blasted then polished.

Then get them powder coated with a translucent color of your choice. I'm told those translucent powder coats look just like candy paint.

And best check with a powder coater first about durability vs heat off the cover.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    If you want it to look real pimped, get the covers blasted then polished.

Then get them powder coated with a translucent color of your choice. I'm told those translucent powder coats look just like candy paint.

And best check with a powder coater first about durability vs heat off the cover.
    Hmmmm I'll have a proper look at the bike tonight cause I think it's more then the case that needs to be done up by memory..

Bike
    In the rubbish bin
    Look at the modified bikes section for my bike, or go to www.thirteenmotorcyclemagazine.co.nz

The bobber project had same as you, and it was all stripped and then made to look like brush stainless.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Look at the modified bikes section for my bike, or go to www.thirteenmotorcyclemagazine.co.nz

The bobber project had same as you, and it was all stripped and then made to look like brush stainless.
    heaps of the pics are gone?

Bike
    Triumph Saint,Triumph Adventurer
    Quote Originally Posted by bosslady View Post
    I think that's what it is? I tried a green scourer (not too scratchy but scratchy enough?) and some autosol but no luck?

Use Inox rather than CRC.
    Then give it a wipe every time you wash the bike and the finish on worn bits will slowly get better looking as the Inox does it's thing.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Road kill View Post
    Use Inox rather than CRC.
    Then give it a wipe every time you wash the bike and the finish on worn bits will slowly get better looking as the Inox does it's thing.
    inox hmm ok

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    If you do the paint right, you can have matte, or gloss, even pink! I could polish them for you
    But they will fade and will need autosol every couple of months to keep 'em bling as.
    You can use clear on polished surfaces, I don't though because it takes away the ubersex shine and doesn't stick too well

Easy thing to do, is strip the clear on it, give it a wee bit of polish, wipe it down with thinners and shoot some clear over them.
    Just like factory
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Thread Information