Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible to get rid of corrosion on my GN250?

Bike
    Nothing :(
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sinfull View Post
    Oi don't be so stupid and waste money ! Or so Lazy lol

Do as Duclover said a few posts back, go to your local hardware and buy yaself some wet&dry sand paper of varying grades , 3 or 4 of each grade and start sanding it !

Start with the lowest grade ie: the 400 grit say. Fold the sheet of paper in half and tear it down the middle, then fold each half in three (this will stop it sliding in your hand) have a bowl of water beside you and dip the paper in the water (wet and dry) this washes any shit out of the grit and wont clog up too quick)

Pick a cover and start working on it, sand until you recon you have sanded all the clearcoat (which is what they spray all over the aluminium cover to stop it dulling DUH ! like it looks worse when the clearcoat cracks up). Then go to a higher grade like 600 or 800 grit and start sanding any scratches the 400 left behind !

And so on untill you try your autosole and it polishes up like chrome !

In some cases you could remove bolts one at a time to get in to the nooks, but remembering they have to be put back in with a torque setting !

If you go out and buy other cases , the chances are they will look the same, soooo ya pay for new cases, then pay for polishing them and then pay to have them changed over (unless you have a torque wrench) and you pay for oil (which will drain out one side) and you pay for gaskets !

Just go pay for some sand paper Aye !!!! Elbow grease is cheap !
    so go and get a few pieces of 400, 600 and 800? used 400 first then 6 or 800 to get rid of any scratches then autosol her?
    Becoming fearless isn't the point. That's impossible. It's learning how to control your fear, and how to be free from it.

Bike
    A few
    Quote Originally Posted by bosslady View Post
    so go and get a few pieces of 400, 600 and 800? used 400 first then 6 or 800 to get rid of any scratches then autosol her?
    Yeah simple as that !
    Perhaps some 1200 as well (skip the 600) alloy sands easy as and any dings or stone chips can be sanded out too, the clearcote will be thin and come off quick, keep the paper wet and splash the black sanding paste ya make away with a splash of water to see how ya going !

I did my front forks outer stauncheons the same way once when i was all keen on bling and shit and they looked like chrome from top to wheel !
    Think i started with 2 or 3 hundy and found it was a bit harsh (made more scratches than i wanted) but they still sand out easy !

Oh and the CRC thing ya spoke of earlier works too, i used to spray my whole bike down with it and not wipe it off ! Being carefull to keep it away from brake rotors and pads !
    It collects dust of course but it stops the alloy from oxidising (which is the white ya can see where the clearcote has cracked away) but up to you, if as ya say you don't mind using the autosole every now and then, wipe it off and it will shine like a new one !
    A girlfriend once asked " Why is it you seem to prefer to race, than spend time with me ?"
    The answer was simple ! "I'll prolly get bored with racing too, once i've nailed it !"

Bowls can wait !

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    If you're going to polish them, it's cheap and easy enough to use 400 - 600 - 800 - 1000 - 1200 then autosol
    If you use all the grades it's easier to see how good your finish is

Keep the cover clean while polishing, every time you change sand paper, wipe it down and re-wet it

There's an Autosol specifically for alloy, which gives a bit better protection and a slightly more bling finish. Mother's Alloy polish is also good
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    Blog Entries
    ill try and go to mitre 10 (??) today after work if I have time, if not maybe some other time this week, sandpaper doesn't cost feck all does it?
    Becoming fearless isn't the point. That's impossible. It's learning how to control your fear, and how to be free from it.

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    It doesn't cost many fecks at all
    When I cleaned my covers up I found a scotchbrite pad was excellent to take the clear off
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    Kwaka

Chrome repair

While on the topic of rapidly deteriorating GNs.... does anyone have any advice for chrome repair? My front guard has a big chip off the front and the metal underneath is now rusting. I keep it well cleaned and oiled but wonder if there's a quick repair or way to "disguise"?

From what I can google, you basically have to get a new part or have it re-chromed?

Also, the exhuast has some "pitting" corrosion which can be improved by rubbing with autosol but I wonder how deep this goes? Some of it seems to come off but not all.... If I keep scrubbing it I'll probably wear the chrome off.

Thanks!
    "This is not a car."

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Front guard: clean polish the chip, then clear nail polish on it

Exhaust: scotchbrite pad and autosol

Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    In the rubbish bin
    Scotchbrite on chrome will scuff the chrome. Russ Mitchell uses them on all chrome on his choppers, to make it look like brushed stainless. So do I.

Also keep in mind, Autosol is abrasive and while it polishes nicely - constant use will wear the chrome to it's nickel.
    Find out more at www.unluckyones.co.nz

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    It doesn't cost many fecks at all
    When I cleaned my covers up I found a scotchbrite pad was excellent to take the clear off
    $8 later (including a candy bar) I have 400, 800 and 1200. No fecks required

re: autosol u mean the one in the silver box?

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Did you get wet and dry sandpaper? It is much better quality in general.
    When you send ones wife to get sandpaper, she proudly brings back from Arthurs Emporium, sandpaper that very quickly seperates into it,s two main components, sand and paper!
    Really to polish properly, you need to remove. But if you are very determined I guess you can make a good job in situ. Do not be afraid of using paint stripper to get rid of the clear. I polished up my GN spares then sold on TM.
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    Did you get wet and dry sandpaper? It is much better quality in general.
    When you send ones wife to get sandpaper, she proudly brings back from Arthurs Emporium, sandpaper that very quickly seperates into it,s two main components, sand and paper!
    Really to polish properly, you need to remove. But if you are very determined I guess you can make a good job in situ. Do not be afraid of using paint stripper to get rid of the clear. I polished up my GN spares then sold on TM.
    uhhhhhhhh it says waterproof? guess I got the wrong stuff

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    uhhhhhhhh it says waterproof? guess I got the wrong stuff
    Nope, you got the right stuff.
    You gonna get sore fingers! Heh!
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post

Nope, you got the right stuff.
    You gonna get sore fingers! Heh!
    had a go for a lil bit given up for the night lol need some more 400 I might get a more coarse one cause i found it's hard for me
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130122_1933391629040363.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	255.1 KB 
ID:	276960  

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    had a go for a lil bit given up for the night lol need some more 400 I might get a more coarse one cause i found it's hard for me
    Be careful going any lower, you could end up scratching the shit out of it.
    For a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him. Keep an open mind, just dont let your brains fall out.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    double post

Thread Information