Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Possible to get rid of corrosion on my GN250?

Bike
    Nothing :(
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gnjackal View Post
    Exhaust didn't work? Spent about an hour trying and all it did was dull the chrome. It's like a tar/rust combo, super-resilient.... Might just buy a new one and keep it tidy.
    take a pic?
    Becoming fearless isn't the point. That's impossible. It's learning how to control your fear, and how to be free from it.

Bike
    Blog Entries

I've let the team down, lol

got sick of it after a few hours, also ran out of sandpaper. Needs to be fine detailed she's pretty rough but I'm happier with this than I was with what I had before!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130126_19041415664242.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	279.6 KB 
ID:	277184   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130126_2003441702426288.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	269.6 KB 
ID:	277185  
    Becoming fearless isn't the point. That's impossible. It's learning how to control your fear, and how to be free from it.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bosslady View Post
    got sick of it after a few hours, also ran out of sandpaper. Needs to be fine detailed she's pretty rough but I'm happier with this than I was with what I had before!
    Progress isn't always fast ... but it is progress.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Progress isn't always fast ... but it is progress.
    I forgot to mention two.of the bolts for the sprocket cover snapped. Have to wait until the bolt shop opens on Tuesday but am riding without one in the meantime just tucking my pants into my boots until then

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Quote Originally Posted by gnjackal View Post
    Exhaust didn't work? Spent about an hour trying and all it did was dull the chrome. It's like a tar/rust combo, super-resilient.... Might just buy a new one and keep it tidy.
    Really?
    Don't buy a new one... it's a GN! I just painted mine with some super high temp black.
    You could wrap them?
    I pick the tar off with a razor blade
    Quote Originally Posted by bosslady View Post
    That's a nice improvement already, well done!
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    Honda vfr 750 fn 1992 x2 90red
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Safer to do it with them in place. No broken bolts/screws ... or need to remember where everything goes.

And if plans change or distractions arrive ... no vital bits get lost.
    Yes have to agree with FJ alot easier on the bike and trying hold object and buff not good idea

Bike
    2005 Suzuki GN250
    rejuvenating this thread as I'm doing the same re engine covers and exhaust

bought an 05 GN250 as the surface rust seemed easy for me to fix.. half true..
    turns out the chinese ones are more crap than just bolts, but it could be worse..

Hmm. I doubt I can post the image from FB so I'll go down and scrub away with my 600 grit and take a during pic to show progress.

I found in terms of prepping, using paint stripper for rims and engine cover was AWESOME as it ate the clear coat off the latter with no elbow grease required, and the former became shiny again - now I've also decided to strip the black off the rims too, easier to maintain ie strip. I used the gel stripper as its way easier to apply, doesn't flick around unwanted areas or go all over tyres.

I also used tin foil on all the surface rust. It's the same buffing technique as wet n dry sandpaper, and if you're unsure of what it can do go have a geez on youtube. My exhaust was utter crap, and now it looks okay enough to allow me to keep it.. though I still have my eyes on a megaphone exhaust and exhaust tape is only $15 so saves me trying to chrome up the crap on the manifold.

The tin foil does fail on bolts and stuff though, so I just removed all of them, dunked them overnight in rice vinegar (the only one on hand, but any vinegar will work) then dunked them in baking soda and water to neutralise the acid next morning. NO rust on any of them. But I've heard of mixed results there, so you can always use a 1:10 solution of MOLASSES and water for a longer time period - learnt that from Dr Youtube also!

I've also bought engine enamel $12 from supercheap thanks to boxing day sale, that's for the cylinder head but depends how much the engine cover buffs up, maybe I'll make that black too? The tank and side covers are getting rolled matte black once I can handle my corners enough to warrant a nice paint jab

Also I second the glories of inox!! I wouldn't use any other spray on my Leatherman, so I feel the same towards my bike.

Thread Information