Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Electrical problems

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    Gixxer was talking about blowing fuses. From my experience that's a slightly different symptom than reg/rectifier problems which usually result in a flat or fried battery so you can't start the bike when you stop.

My guess here is check for a short somewhere - chaffed wires in the loom up front or something faulty in the ignition switch. Especially if its happening on acceleration or changing gear when things are getting moved about.
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    RF900

Thumbs up

Good move not to get to sure about the cause and yep it could rightly be a more localised down line problem after all thats what the fuses are for not to protect the bulb but to protect everything else from a fault (short circuit to earth ect) between the bulb and the fuse output. but such a short is likely not to blow the bulb because its before the bulb. but a high resistance would take out both bulb and fuse try this remove the bulb and measure the resistance between the fuse output and the input to the bulb.
    zero ohms when the other side to earth zero ohms OK.
    lets say the meter reads 2ohms? the current equals the voltage 12v divided by the resistance 2 ohms thats 6amps?
    5 amp fuse? with blow eventually. slow blow.
    so yep chaffed wire bad earth. good thinking bat man
    Your never to old for a sportsbike

Bike
    Registered. For now...
    The problem with electricity is that it is often ignorant as to the laws of physics. This is most clearly proven by Joe Lucas' hardware.

BabyB - I suggest you go down to Wheels of Thames and talk to George.
    ACC - It's where the Enron accountants all went.

Bike
    '96 suzuki GSF600s,'86 CBR400R Aero
    cheers guys..... problem solved. was fulty wiring to stop/start switch from ignition
    asked Mom if I was a gifted child ... she said they certainly wouldn't have paid for me.

Thread Information