Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Far North Road Trip: Suggestions?

Bike
    GL1800
    Quote Originally Posted by unstuck View Post
    Dont know what your interests are, or if you have been there before, but I always stop at the matakohe Kauri museum, I love it there. Not everyones idea of a good time though.
    Thanks Unstuck, I've seen it but Jude may not have.....cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    I thoroughly recommend enjoying yourselves!

I'm sure you've done the roads already, but Waipoua Forest (plus the big tree thing), Twin Bridges, the road to Cape Reinga is now sealed all the way through. Fuel is available at Waitaki Landing again.
    Choice Gremlin

Quote Originally Posted by unstuck View Post
    Good tip Mate, just the sort of advice what I was after, cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    I wouldn't worry about the Mangonui fish and chip shop, it has new owners and the reputation it once had, left with the old owners, who now own and run the Cable Bay fish shop, well worth a feed.

Accomodation?....http://www.sanmarino.co.nz/ undercover bike parking, right on the beach, north facing.
    Owners know the Northland very very well which is always a good thing.
    Brill Maha, saved us from a bad feed~ epic! Good tip for accommodation too, Thanks Dude

Quote Originally Posted by slofox View Post
    From a riding point of view, Twin Bridges through to Kaikohe, Mangamuka Gorge, Waipoua Forest are must do. There is also the road through Waimate North to Kerikeri which I used to enjoy. Plus various coastal routes that were unsealed back in the olden days when I lived up there but very scenic anyway.

Since you've been up that way before, you probably know this anyway.

Enjoy the ride!
    I didn't know Slofox, so cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Actually, he's got an ST1300... but he said bikes, and I have no idea what his lady has.

Don't forget that even SH1 (the Mangamukas) is fun in Northland aye?
    Jude rides a SVF650 Gladius - still sussing it's range but the Pan Euro will cover for it

Quote Originally Posted by nonie View Post
    Did the northern part of your ride 2 weeks ago showing friends from wellington around.

We went Whangarei to Kohukohu via dargaville, opononi. Stayed at the Night Sky Lodge at Kohukohu. Very nice, amazing views, 5min stroll to dine at the outdoor cafe and the pub. ,
    next day went North to stay at Mangonui via ahipara, kaitia. great wee road all tar sealed and a petrol pump at Broadwood. (Stayed at the Mangonui Hotel) (agree with previous post..the fish and chips at the Mangonui fish shop were dreadful, greasy and slimy compared with earlier visits..what a shame but plenty of other options of places to eat.

Last day had a look at Whangaroa then down via Pahia, opua, ferry to Russell, lunch at the duke of malborough, then took the coast road back via helena bay cafe and popped out on SH 1 at Whakapara.

Didn't really do tourist activities as such, more into enjoying the scenery and chilling out but there are a ton of things to do if you want to spend the dollars.
    enjoy the ride

Brilliant Nonie, excellent intel, much appreciated Matey!

Quote Originally Posted by insomnia01 View Post
    was up there in Sept, found a cool road ( by mistake ) just out of dome valley turn right into Wayby Valley rd follow onto Waiteitei rd - Mangawhai rd through to Mangawhai onto Mangawhai heads - Cove rd through to Waipu cove then onwards to Whangarei.... Enjoy mate
    Cheers Insomnia, might have an explore, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    You can't really go wrong with the tarmac. Not mentioned is the Old Russell road, take the turn off for Oakura just after the petrol station north of Whangarei. That's a bit mis-leading. Look at a map. It hugs the coast more or less & has great views & lots of corners. The Helena Bay Cafe & Art Gallery is worth a stop for coffee & cake. Spectacular view from the deck.
    The Matauri loop road is very scenic & twisty, views over the Cavalli Islands & north towards Stevies. Take the turn off for Matauri Bay / Kauri cliffs but when the road splits go left otherwise you end up at Matauri Bay. Mind you, their is a Rainbow Warrior monument their. If your well heeled they might let you in for a round of Golf at Kauri cliffs. NZ's, possibly even the southern hemispheres longest links course. So they say. You come out north of Kaeo on the Whangaroa Harbour road. Tauranga Bay, which you pass, is a nice spot.
    If your heading to Mangonui take a ride or walk up to Rangikapiti Pa. It's the big hill at the Harbour entrance. I do believe it is Mill Bay road, opposite the fire station as you crest the hill into Coopers Beach & just before the San Marino turn off. It would be a nice stroll from their. Take a fishing rod, some big (horses) kingies off the rocks & lots of Kahawai. Mussels too, if you want to get wet. The view from the top takes in the whole of Doubtless Bay & Mangonui Harbour. Give you hours of fun stitching your photos together.
    North of Doubtless bay you can turn off onto the Karikari peninsula. Home of silica sanded Rangiunu Harbour, the water is gin clear & the sand squeaks when you walk on it. Head for Rangiputa. Their is accomodation available their too. Right on the beach. And, er, great fishing.
    If you head towards the end of the peninsula, Matai Bay, DOC site you will come to Whatuwhiwhi & then Carrington resort, vineyard, winery & golf course. Great place for a glass of wine while you take in the view to North Cape. Be worth phoning to see if they are open, though.

On the way to Cape Reinga the Gumdiggers park is interesting. Why did all the Kauris fall over 50'000 years ago? At the Kauri kingdom, bit of a tourist trap, their is some interesting stuff done with the wood & you can take the stairs up a hollow Kauri to the mezzanine.

I've got to take the dog out now. Might think of more laters.
    Heaps of info there Mate, ~ phew, thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    One of Northlands best kept secrets is Murray rd/Tangowahine rd...halfway down (or up) Twin Bridges rd.

http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?saddr=...sz=12&t=m&z=10
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    don't know all the names, when you hit auckland head west to 16, half way up hang a right to warkworth (some very twisty shit in here, and plenty of one way bridges), you end up on falls road, through that POS intersection at north or warkworth, head to matakana (there's a windy backroad if you head to snells and hook back north),
    go through matakana town (left at the roundybout) and you end up on matakana valley road, this hooks into the road mention above (or detour out to parkiri)

other option is go up 1 as far as tauhora turnoff which puts you to road mentioned in above quote...

other option, if you want to see aucklands road of national significance (johnson's tunnel), come up, hook left at puhoi (stop at the pub) through that, (i think puhoi valley road) up to ahuroa (ish) then you can hang left to get to 16 or right to get back to 1, (at the bottom end of warkworth?) then do the matakana valley thing.

just before the bryndys left out to dargaville/maungaturoto, through to paparoa (ish), right just before the township (signposted as oakleigh/whg, i think) awesome windy uphill, not too tight, open out into farm country (my backyard) flats. right at the top will spit you out on 1 just after oakleigh island (17km south of town), left through tararoa will put you on the back road to maungakaramea (worth it) which will spit you back out at 1 about 3km south of town. OR you can hang a left somewhere through/after mkmea (snooks road), good bushwalks round tangihua, else keep heading north to whatatiri - maungatapere which you hang left for the twin bridges (signposted kaikohe?) or head straight to get you into the middle of town.

other option if you dont want to /care about getting upto kaikohe (it's a nice road but nothing too special, is head out to donelly's crossing (turnoff left just before the bridges)

best option, know where north is, make sure you're heading that direction more than any other. find your own way.
    Thanks also Akzle, best I get studying but also agree with your final comment, thanks for taking the time
    "If you haven't grown up by the time you turn 50, you don't have to!"

Bike
    GL1800
    "If you haven't grown up by the time you turn 50, you don't have to!"

Thread Information