Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Competely noob towards all things bike

Bike
    VFR
    Quote Originally Posted by Cam_NZ View Post
    Yeah had a look at that list before I started looking, seems most 250's are allowed, but is hard to find something bigger in my pricerange on the approved list.

As for the hornet and the ninja, they are both bikes I am interested in! Kms wise, how much is too much?

Even the hyo gt250r isnt a gooer? There seems to be a few of them! Like this one http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-557275285.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-559807693.htm

Which bigger bikes would I be looking at?

Sorry for being annoying! haha
    Seriously, go sit on a hyobag. The GT250rs have the serious race crouch thing going on. They're not a very friendly bike to sit on, particularly if you want to commute on it. That's quite aside from the fact that most of those hyobags you're looking at are older ones which are known to have......teething problems.

I've got a hornet, they're fantastic fucking bikes. Take care of them and they'll easily do 100,000+ kms with little more then regular oil changes.

That said, for the first 3 months of your riding life, you'd be faster on a Gn250/scorpio then you would on a Hornet Hornet takes a lot of revs to get moving, and it's a bigger/heavier bike with big fat tires. Put a total beginner on any number of bikes, and they'll be ridden all the same. SLOW!

Biking is absolutely about what makes you happy in the pants. In the end it's about what makes you happy.

That said, I'm still a big fan of starting on a shit little cheap as fuck bike that you can do all sorts of nasty shit too without wanting to kill yourself. A LARGE majority of beginners will drop their bikes. Doing that on a bike with a lot of plastic either gets expensive, or looks fuckin nasty. Dropping a fully faired bike you just spent 6k on hurts a hell of a lot more dropping a naked one you spent 1200 on

Really though, go sit your BHS. Then go to various bike shops and sit on EVERYTHING that you can to get an idea of what you want. You might decide against certain bikes because they're not comfortable or you don't like the riding position or whatever. Especially as somebody whose never ridden before. There's no replacement for seat time!

Bike
    NOS induced ninja ex250
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glowerss View Post
    Seriously, go sit on a hyobag. The GT250rs have the serious race crouch thing going on. They're not a very friendly bike to sit on, particularly if you want to commute on it. That's quite aside from the fact that most of those hyobags you're looking at are older ones which are known to have......teething problems.

I've got a hornet, they're fantastic fucking bikes. Take care of them and they'll easily do 100,000+ kms with little more then regular oil changes.

That said, for the first 3 months of your riding life, you'd be faster on a Gn250/scorpio then you would on a Hornet Hornet takes a lot of revs to get moving, and it's a bigger/heavier bike with big fat tires. Put a total beginner on any number of bikes, and they'll be ridden all the same. SLOW!

Biking is absolutely about what makes you happy in the pants. In the end it's about what makes you happy.

That said, I'm still a big fan of starting on a shit little cheap as fuck bike that you can do all sorts of nasty shit too without wanting to kill yourself. A LARGE majority of beginners will drop their bikes. Doing that on a bike with a lot of plastic either gets expensive, or looks fuckin nasty. Dropping a fully faired bike you just spent 6k on hurts a hell of a lot more dropping a naked one you spent 1200 on

Really though, go sit your BHS. Then go to various bike shops and sit on EVERYTHING that you can to get an idea of what you want. You might decide against certain bikes because they're not comfortable or you don't like the riding position or whatever. Especially as somebody whose never ridden before. There's no replacement for seat time!

Hahaha not a fan of hyosung's then? any thoughts on the ninja? differences between air and water cooled?

Will definately sit my BHS ASAP and get my licencing done quick as. Thats when Ill start searching bike shops for gear and try some of their bikes

the hornet is on the list definately, doesnt have difinative sport look, but can just tell it looks fun to ride, and ive seen a lot around so must be popular! http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-556575677.htm

Mates just bought a ninja so will have a sit on it and see how it feels.

You know that feeling when your so keen for something, and you've worked yourself up to buying something that its all you think about and you just want to chuck money at it, thats what I have now haha!

Cheers

Bike
    Sportster
    Blog Entries
    Ok, I'll jump in from a boring old farts perspective. Been riding for over 25 years. Many of those years a bike was my only transport.

My opinion on saving money. YOU WONT. Well you just might on gas..... but two decent tires on a bike are often more expensive than an average set of 4 on a camry.
    Then there is gear, add ons, bolt ons (which can include but are not limited to panniers, racks, exhausts, suspension mods, mirrors, seat improvements etc). Chaps and tassels for us Harley riders.

On gear, I am in my third age of gear, the first being what ever I could beg borrow or steal, the second being some pretty cool expensive shit with lots of trendy bits and bobs (because I could afford it). Triple stitched this, knox armoured that...... Now I am in the third age. The Age of Comfort. Now comfort is more important that the latest and greatest safest mod con.
    In winter, I want to be warm, dry and safe. In that order. And will buy accordingly. Summer, cool as possible and safe. Best bit of safety gear you have is right between your ears.

Helmet, get what fits properly and is comfortable. That Sharp site is good for pointing you in the right direction.

And as for gear, i kinda know the basics, although i want to get it right the first time so ill head down to a few bike shops around auckland and get the gst of gear specs
    Oh and on this, you won't get it right the first time. It will take time to find what YOU like and feel good in. Also, if you change your style of bike, sometimes the gear that was sweet on a cruiser isn't so crash hot on a sprotsbike. And I am not talking fashion sense here, those that know me will realise I have none.

Bikes are fun. Buying all the cool shit that goes with them is fun too. Enjoy!

Bike
    NOS induced ninja ex250
    Blog Entries
    Ok turns out my budget is just below 5k for a bike itself. So hopefully get a low km ninja or I would like something bigger than 250, yet dont know what models are good or not on that front.

As for the hornet... there are no decent post 2000 bikes on tardme in my pricerange, are the 1998's any good?

Bike
    2015 HD Street 500
    Gunna toss a spanner in the works here
    Want a cheap as, fun bike to learn on?
    A bike that will happily sit at 110+kph on the open road, all day without complaining,
    A bike that will get 200k+ out of 8 liters of fuel
    A bike that will happily pull up any hill around any corner and down again, with out wheezing, stuttering, or running out of breath
    A bike that has the ability of getting 15000k+ out of a pair of tires
    A bike that had no problem doing the brass monkey in the middle of winter, woodstock, middle of summer.
    Plus several other rallys more than 200k from home base.
    Well bugger me its a Chinese metric cruiser, only 250CC and $4450 BRAND NEW!

And they are available on trade me from 2500 - 3500 right now,

Thash it, it will not complain, plod along at 30k in top, it does not complain, toss on a pile of gear and ride to the other end of the island, It will just dang well do it.

Ahh, but no, its too girly for you young fellas, or its too plastic for your purists, I'll get laughed at....you will say when you look at it.

The Harley boys climbing the Oteria gorge were rather embarrassed by it, third gear, throttle pined it did it .....showed them its heels it did..plenty of sharp corners helped.
    Keeway 250 Supershadow.....bugger me if its not a Chinese piece of shit, or is it?
    To be old and wise, first you must be young and stupid.

Bike
    1989 fzr250
    Something else to look at might be the honda cb range, great commuter bikes and should sell well when you decide to upgrade after riding a few months

Starting on my cb250 was one of the best things ever for confidence and reliability, my current bike, not so much on the latter; def need a back up form of transport for the older sportier little bikes

Bike
    NOS induced ninja ex250
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by McFatty1000 View Post
    Something else to look at might be the honda cb range, great commuter bikes and should sell well when you decide to upgrade after riding a few months

Starting on my cb250 was one of the best things ever for confidence and reliability, my current bike, not so much on the latter; def need a back up form of transport for the older sportier little bikes
    Such as the hornet? there are two decent looking ones on trademe, but someone said something about getting year 2000+, are the 1998 ones still decent?

As for the chinese cruiser... i cant find it anywhere, or is it not actually called a chinese metric cruiser?

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    or is it not actually called a chinese metric cruiser?
    KEEYWAY 250 supershadow.
    For a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him. Keep an open mind, just dont let your brains fall out.

Bike
    2008 S40 Boulevard
    Quote Originally Posted by unstuck View Post
    KEEYWAY 250 supershadow.
    Arnt they basically a Honda?
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Connolly
    "The question is not, How far do we have to go?..............The question is, Do you have the constitution to go as far as is needed?".

Bike
    2015 HD Street 500
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkfish View Post
    Arnt they basically a Honda?

Picture copy of a Yamaha XVS 250 Virago , or as they are now called a Star.
    A bike that has been around since the 80's.
    $2000+ dollars cheaper to buy new than its cousin
    To be old and wise, first you must be young and stupid.

Bike
    VFR
    Such as the hornet? there are two decent looking ones on trademe, but someone said something about getting year 2000+, are the 1998 ones still decent?

As for the chinese cruiser... i cant find it anywhere, or is it not actually called a chinese metric cruiser?
    Hornets are fine regardless of year by and large, just make sure it's been maintained properly.

Mines a 97 and runs like a dream. I had to replace chain/sprockets when I got it (still on original sprockets at 37,000km ) but otherwise everythings fine.

Quite a few Kbers have owned hornets that hit the 100,000km mark and were still going strong.

Bike
    NOS induced ninja ex250
    Blog Entries
    So my banks been emptied. Have many additions in my garage, will post picks up of my hopefully decent riding gear and bike. Went for a little scoot round howick to get used to the bike (dont have my licence so hopefully no cops flick their lights!) Is actually so fun, why am I only getting a bike now!

Cheers guys

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    Well, what did you get?
    For a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him. Keep an open mind, just dont let your brains fall out.

Bike
    NOS induced ninja ex250
    Blog Entries
    Ok so heres the list:

Bike:

2008 kawasaki Ninja 250r, 21,000km, blue, with full service history. Few little stone scratches near the bottom of the fairings.

Gear:

Jacket, http://www.cycletreads.co.nz/product...textile_j.aspx

Pants:http://www.cycletreads.co.nz/product...d_2_texti.aspx

Gloves:http://www.cycletreads.co.nz/product...y_gloves_.aspx

Boots:http://www.cycletreads.co.nz/product...oadsport_.aspx

Helmethttp://www.cycletreads.co.nz/products/1028-ls2_full_face_helmets/7660-ls2_full_face_helmet_ff350351.aspx

Bought this helmet but it sucks so am getting it replaced with this one : http://www.cycletreads.co.nz/product...face_helm.aspx

So what do you guys think? I pretty much just listened to what the lady at cycletreads told me to get so this is the outcome.
    What do you guys do about the heat? I swear wearing all this yesturday almost killed me .

Whos keen to go for a ride? haha

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    What do you guys do about the heat? I swear wearing all this yesturday almost killed me .
    Go faster. Well done on your purchases. Ride safe.

Thread Information