Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Please help me plan a 1-2 week holiday for May/June 2013?

Bike
    Nothing :(
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    I assume this is from your motorcycle insurance. Read your policy on what will actually be provided. I found it extremely limiting, with a very low number of dollars for each event, and wouldn't cover the cost at all, for bike and person transport back to base if somewhere else in the country far from home...
    I got it with kiwibike, can't remember what I get out of it though.
    Becoming fearless isn't the point. That's impossible. It's learning how to control your fear, and how to be free from it.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bosslady View Post
    I got it with kiwibike, can't remember what I get out of it though.
    Yup, Kiwibike is a broker, and your insurer is actually someone else. I'm via Kiwibike to Swann. Ask Kiwibike for a copy of your policy's roadside assistance terms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    I wasn't warm but was mostly ok in the wind and rain on the way to taupo but was shaking from the cold when I took my gear off because I had been wearing shorts and singlets underneath and the rain soaked my leather gloves and boots.
    In some respects ... you know already what you need to have or replace. Or what to expect/do differently "next time" ...

Already learning.

On a motorcycle you feel the cold in three places ... hands/feet/knees. Body core temperature is important. If those three are cold ... body core temp is dropping, as is your attention to your riding.

Have a cut-off time of the day where you STOP. 4 pm is good. Time (and daylight) to find a bed/food/internet cafe before dark. Unfamiliar roads to unfamiliar destinations ALWAYS seem to take longer than they should. (such is life)
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    In some respects ... you know already what you need to have or replace. Or what to expect/do differently "next time" ...

Already learning.

On a motorcycle you feel the cold in three places ... hands/feet/knees. Body core temperature is important. If those three are cold ... body core temp is dropping, as is your attention to your riding.

Have a cut-off time of the day where you STOP. 4 pm is good. Time (and daylight) to find a bed/food/internet cafe before dark. Unfamiliar roads to unfamiliar destinations ALWAYS seem to take longer than they should. (such is life)
    that's a good idea, a cut off time I mean. and yes.... I know all about getting lost on unfamiliar roads...
    Becoming fearless isn't the point. That's impossible. It's learning how to control your fear, and how to be free from it.

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    I can't use the liner for my pants or jacket, pass out from heat and dehydration! I wasn't warm but was mostly ok in the wind and rain on the way to taupo but was shaking from the cold when I took my gear off because I had been wearing shorts and singlets underneath and the rain soaked my leather gloves and boots.
    Merino is your friend.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    S1000RR
    Could show you some good roads if passing through Christchurch.

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    I saw someone started a thread about some touring or waterproof socks or something the other day so maybe that's worth looking into, I only own ankle socks.

Gloves, yup, agree there for sure...

Dunno bout mailing my dirty britches, I'll have to think on that one LOL

I already have roadside assistance so that's done. But travel insurance? explain if you care to?

I am concerned about something happening to me and thought I could text someone at certain times to let them know where I am, but is that enough? I also worry you know, young thang like me, alone, nobody for miles etc..loll
    I once used plastic bags outside my socks. (crappy boots) They kept wind/water out of my socks. (and acted as a thermal layer)

Gloves are cheap heat insurance.

Dirty girls get around ...

Listen to Gremlin ...

A short .... "am in .. heading for .. " text with a NRN (no reply necessary) to a mate ... might get a search started in the right area ... hours sooner. Entirely YOUR decision.

And have a list of phone numbers that will accept collect calls (friends/family) in urgent situations. (or 0800 numbers)

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EJK View Post
    Could show you some good roads if passing through Christchurch.
    This is one of the reasons threads such as these are good. Networking ... to show others your areas/roads.

Putting names to faces is fun too ...

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Other safety option to consider:

I wear a dog tag of sorts (came free with the back protector) with name, blood type, ICE details etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    We regret to inform you that the South Island will be closed from may, until november ,2013. We are sorry for any inconvinence this may cause.
    For a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him. Keep an open mind, just dont let your brains fall out.

Bike
    Baby Gixxer
    Blog Entries
    If you're traveling on a ginny there's no doubt it should handle the task ahead, but they're not exactly a powerhouse...

My advice would be that if you really want to enjoy and get the most out of visiting the SI don't rush through it. We really appreciated the extra time we took on our trip (just over 2 weeks) rather than trying to cram too much in. Also, if you're limited in experience doing longer rides keep in mind that blustery wind, relentless rain and cold can be physically and mentally draining. Not saying you'll necessarily experience all those things on your trip, but it's quite possible. Allow rest time as well as time to enjoy the places you stop. It's a long way to go only to feel, at the end of it, that you didn't "see the country" as you thought you might. Even if you don't get as much area covered, one hopes there will be other opportunities to get down south again at a later stage; you'll also have the benefit of hindsight to modify your arrangements/gear etc. as to how to improve your traveling for next time.

As for the cold, each time I've travelled in the freezy cold I've wished I'd remembered to try out my pocket warmers (you know, those things you can get from camping/outdoor shops that you snap the little metal thingy in and it heats them up). Tbh, not having tried them out in reality they may not live up to my expectations, but would definitely be a cheaper option to look into than a heated jacket - which may or may not stretch the ginny's electrical capacity.

Have a good read in the ferry mega thread too so that you're up on the play regarding how to secure your bike on the ferry (not that difficult, and there should be someone on board - another rider or staff - who can assist you with tying it down).

I'm envious that you're planning your trip, even though we only did ours a month ago. Have a great time!
    Last edited by PrincessBandit; 13th February 2013 at 05:57. Reason: too early in morning - brain not connecting with grammatical challenges...
    I lahk to moove eet moove eet...

Katman to steveb64
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I'd hate to ever have to admit that my arse had been owned by a Princess.

Bike
    MT09 Tracer
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=560068428 - Slofox has this for sale in about your size.
    Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow aren’t just the 4 cycles of an engine

Bike
    Blog Entries
    I assume this is from your motorcycle insurance. Read your policy on what will actually be provided. I found it extremely limiting, with a very low number of dollars for each event, and wouldn't cover the cost at all, for bike and person transport back to base if somewhere else in the country far from home...

Also best to give a friend your itinerary, so they can keep track, and check in. If something were to happen, narrowing the search area down will greatly increase your chances (yeah, sounds morbid, but should something happen, it can be pretty serious, pretty quick). I carry a personal locator beacon for those sorts of major emergencies, but we also regularly head to places with no mobile coverage and little chance of human contact.
    Yes I will email Dave today and ask for a copy of my policy.. dunno where I putted it...

Personal locator beacon? Tell me more?

Other safety option to consider:

I wear a dog tag of sorts (came free with the back protector) with name, blood type, ICE details etc.
    Not a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by unstuck View Post
    We regret to inform you that the South Island will be closed from may, until november ,2013. We are sorry for any inconvinence this may cause.
    YEA WHATEVER!!

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Hey this looks good, good price too???

http://www.trademe.co.nz/jewellery-w...-561700534.htm

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Hey this looks good, good price too???

http://www.trademe.co.nz/jewellery-w...-561700534.htm
    I name my clothing, have all the phone numbers in my phone (keep it unlocked when you are on the road). Addresses in my wallet. And the bike is registered to me. How many forms of ID do you require .. ???

A medic Alert bracelet is better if you have "existing medical conditions" .. and they cross-match your blood should you need more ...

Save the money for Merino clothing. That stuff is good (but expensive)

Thread Information